Having issues installing audio driver in Windows 10 - HELP

deathbyguitar

Power User
Happy New Year, Fractal family!

I'm having difficulties installing the Axe-FX II driver on my laptop with Windows 10. The USB MIDI driver component installs just fine but the ASIO driver doesn't install. The Device Manager shows that it can't start the driver but it's using a generic USB Audio driver instead of the Fractal one. When I choose Update Driver and select the folder in which the driver is stored, it says I already have the latest, citing that stupid generic USB Audio driver.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled this numerous times. Any advice? Am I missing something?

I hope someone knows the answer and can offer you a solution. I have a new win10 PC that is a brick as far as the hardware i bought it for is concerned because it went and installed generic drivers before i could stop it. It must be ridiculously difficult (or ridiculously simple) to remove the generic driver and put things right, because none of the many website/video/user manuals solutions were of any help in stopping the win10 override (of the wrong generic driver) - now i use that PC for something else.

Are you trying to connect your Axe into a USB 3.0 port or 2.0? I had some issues trying to connect the Axe into some of USB 3 ports I have on my laptop.
Also, I always use the same USB port every time I plug it on my computer. For some reason, the driver just stop working if I do.

I am not sure if installing drivers using Windows Update Driver works. Here what I did was just plug the Axe into the USB, wait for Windows figure what I've just connected and then proceed installing the FASUSB Driver.

I just realized this laptop of mine only has USB 3.0 ports. It's a Thinkpad T460. I've never used my Axe-FX with this machine...I'll have to check if my desktop has similar issues with 3.0 ports. I don't recall it making a difference but I could be wrong. My god this is a pain for a tiny, tiny issue. Windows 10 has been completely smooth sailing for me until right now.

Edit: Confirmed that my desktop works perfectly with the 3.0 port. My god I don't wanna have to reinstall Windows on this damn thing just for an audio driver but I may have to. I keep getting "Code 10" as error message in Device Manager.

Last edited:
Well I just completely wiped my SSD and reinstalled Windows and that fixed it. Pretty aggravating that I had to do that but it's whatever. Thanks for your help, guys.

Back
Top Bottom