Having fun with Logic Pro X

Thank for your reply. Now I see what it was.
Logic Pro x explained.
I did not realize that was the name of the lesson.
I went to the site, looks good.
Chris

Im not sure what you are asking. If you are asking what lessons I have watched on groove3, there has been a ton of them. I watched and actually bought Logic Pro x explained. The reason I went for the one month was because I saw a lot of other videos on their site that I can't afford to buy them all. A good one is Flex pitch explained. And there are a couple from a guy named Scott Griggs who sounds like Larry the cable guy, he did one on producing hard rock with logic. He takes you through a whole song pice by piece, it's like 5 hours long. Very insight full. What's cool is there is a Ipad app for watching the videos. So I just sit on the couch watching videos, and every once In awhile tapatalk2 sends me a notice that someone has posted something in the Axe-fx forum. Amazing!!!

I forgot to say nice work Scott on my previous post - I like the piece.

Well, I bit the bullet this morning and recorded my first song on Logic X just to see if I could sit down and do a session from nothing to something. Overall I was VERY pleased with how easy it was in Logic X. Obviously a lot of hidden stuff that I still have to discover. Keyboard shortcuts is one thing that will make my life easier.

Oh, and I completely forgot that I downloaded the Logic X remote control app for my iPad too - now THAT would have made life easier today, as I recorded my acoustic a bit of a distance from my console.

Not in the same league as Scott's recording in the OP, but getting there...

I forgot to say nice work Scott on my previous post - I like the piece.

Well, I bit the bullet this morning and recorded my first song on Logic X just to see if I could sit down and do a session from nothing to something. Overall I was VERY pleased with how easy it was in Logic X. Obviously a lot of hidden stuff that I still have to discover. Keyboard shortcuts is one thing that will make my life easier.

Oh, and I completely forgot that I downloaded the Logic X remote control app for my iPad too - now THAT would have made life easier today, as I recorded my acoustic a bit of a distance from my console.

Not in the same league as Scott's recording in the OP, but getting there...

Wow, well that was awesome!!! Great job cyberferret!!!

thanks for the compliment. That was a great arrangement.

OK, so I'm still learning. I'm going through this new course at groove3 "producing EDM for Logic x" so I have been trying to write out of my comfort zone as I am an 80's rocker at heart.

Anyway here it goes. Its only 24bars.

I have no clue how to not make this do this. Any ideas?

Nice work Scott!

Was that a combination of loops plus some real guitar work? Be cool to get a breakdown of how you put this together.

I'm an 80's rocker at heart too, and I initially thought it would be easy to put together some modern techno or electronic music - only to find out just how difficult that was for me to do! ;)

Thanks cyberferret. Basically I tried to duplicate the process step by step from Groove3.com lesson. There's no loops, what I did was

1. Use ultrabeat to find a chinky drum groove
2. Create a side chain track by creating a 16 note at every bar and send it to a bus and make that bus not outputed. This is used to create a side chain for the bass and any other instrument that you want pumping.
3. Create a four chord sequence, I initially just put it in with the pencil tool. After that's done I did some automation to make it vibrate at the end of each bar. The synth was the retro synth.
4. Create a fill stack to fill in the last bar of each measure with a fill. This is a stack track with three different synthesizers. I just picked three random synths that came with logic.
5. Create an accent groove that was pulling away in a different direction as the chords.
6. Add a bass line. Put an arpegiator and a note repeater midi pluggin to get the bass popin.
7. Now the cheating part for the second part I took my four chord sequence and saved it as midi and brought it into ezkeys grand piano. There I changed the chord sequence slightly and changed the style completely, taking it from static chords to a melodic phrase. So there is part two. I had the drums broken out by kick, snare and he, so I would just keep the kick going and add a snare every so many bars.
8. I added two risers during the seques that's the swoosh you hear. Those are the only loops that I used.
9. So I took the four chord sequence into ezkeys and changed the style slightly from the first 8 bars and copied everything else over from the first 8 bars and made any modifications so the baseline would fit.
10. I literally just started this last night, so I have a lot more to go.

I can see why people get into doing this Stuff It is very addicting. Like I said I'm basically doing exactly what the video series is showing me, but I'm changing it up to sound different.

If you want the project file, just let me know I can put it up on my drop box account for you to play with.

I figure the way to learn the tool is to keep creating stuff, which I'm trying to do. Logic Pro x rocks, they have already have had three updates since it has come out, and it's pretty stable for me.

My wife loves dance music, it seems to be everywhere, so why not make some that has a lot of guitar in it. The guitar needs too represent.

The lesson from groove3 is
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.groove3.com/str/Producing-EDM-in-Logic-Pro-X.html[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]I know it's new and just came out.[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]I payed 15.00 bucks for the month, I might do another month as there is a ton of stuff to learn.[/FONT]

Scott and Cyberferret, I'm really impressed with your efforts. I guess I'm into 70's rock and old school prog mainly but I like all kinds of music to some extent.

I tried recording stuff many years ago but gave up pretty quickly, it all confused me and I wimped out!

I have been looking at Logic X recently and your efforts have inspired me to have another go.

Scott and Cyberferret, I'm really impressed with your efforts. I guess I'm into 70's rock and old school prog mainly but I like all kinds of music to some extent.

I tried recording stuff many years ago but gave up pretty quickly, it all confused me and I wimped out!

I have been looking at Logic X recently and your efforts have inspired me to have another go.

Awesome! Give it a try. Nothing wrong in trying anything, even if its not in your wheel house. You would be surprised how much music theory you have stuck in your head. Start slow and build. I'm telling you the best way to do it is get some educational step by step instructions. Repetition is key here. The producing series on groove3 is pretty good. I want to try some of the other monthly services next month, see what I can glean from some of them. I would use YouTube, but the only problem is they are not 7 hours long, so you really start to get into something, then it's over.

Im at 9,9998 hours, man I have a long road ahead of me.

CyberFerret, as a fellow Aussie (Brisbane), I just had to say what a nice piece of work - tasty playing. And ..... Thanks for all the great stuff you do around this forum. Where do you get the time to tackle everything you do? Mate, do you ever sleep? Darwin hasn't had a cyclone for a while but you're one helluva substitute! I only came to this digital world late in life (now 63) but am thoroughly enjoying the incredible sound scapes of the FX2, MFC, and 2CLR's. I'm hoping to get as much as I can out of this box before they lower me into the ground or toss me into the furnace. My one consolation is that I'll pass what I've learnt onto my 3 grandsons who live with me. Meanwhile .... the ride is good and the FX2 continues to leave my guitar playing mates with astonished looks on their faces.

Scott - thanks for the breakdown on what you did. You've inspired me to sign up for a couple of months of Groove3 courses, perhaps starting next month when I get back from a short holiday break.

CyberFerret, as a fellow Aussie (Brisbane), I just had to say what a nice piece of work - tasty playing. And ..... Thanks for all the great stuff you do around this forum. Where do you get the time to tackle everything you do? Mate, do you ever sleep? Darwin hasn't had a cyclone for a while but you're one helluva substitute! I only came to this digital world late in life (now 63) but am thoroughly enjoying the incredible sound scapes of the FX2, MFC, and 2CLR's. I'm hoping to get as much as I can out of this box before they lower me into the ground or toss me into the furnace. My one consolation is that I'll pass what I've learnt onto my 3 grandsons who live with me. Meanwhile .... the ride is good and the FX2 continues to leave my guitar playing mates with astonished looks on their faces.

geriatric - Between running my own IT business, young kids (Two boys 9 and 13 who both are keen guitar players in their own right), family etc. it does get hard to prioritise life, but end of the day, playing guitar is a real passion for me. I normally do ERP and business software development, which after 20 years is getting a bit samey for me.

Writing these Axe-FX specific apps really gets me inspired and excited again. It's like the early days of programming, where I used to wrestle with Turbo Pascal on an 8088 IBM XT with 64 mb of RAM.

It makes a big difference as well when I see the notes of appreciation in the threads here. Funny how I can write a stock control database that saves a big company hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and I won't hear a peep from them. But I write a small free app that allows someone to audition cabs in their studio and they post a short but heartfelt thanks on here - makes all the difference I tell you. I still get an incredible buzz when someone sends me a screenshot of my app running on their PC half a world away.

Anyhow - Musn't thread jack Scott's thread. Back to Logic X. Great software. Going to invest in learning some of the same lessons that Scott spoke about above. Lots of tools in there that helps creativity, and I want to maximise my time in ramping up my skills in the app...

Scott - thanks for the breakdown on what you did. You've inspired me to sign up for a couple of months of Groove3 courses, perhaps starting next month when I get back from a short holiday break.

geriatric - Between running my own IT business, young kids (Two boys 9 and 13 who both are keen guitar players in their own right), family etc. it does get hard to prioritise life, but end of the day, playing guitar is a real passion for me. I normally do ERP and business software development, which after 20 years is getting a bit samey for me.

Writing these Axe-FX specific apps really gets me inspired and excited again. It's like the early days of programming, where I used to wrestle with Turbo Pascal on an 8088 IBM XT with 64 mb of RAM.

It makes a big difference as well when I see the notes of appreciation in the threads here. Funny how I can write a stock control database that saves a big company hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and I won't hear a peep from them. But I write a small free app that allows someone to audition cabs in their studio and they post a short but heartfelt thanks on here - makes all the difference I tell you. I still get an incredible buzz when someone sends me a screenshot of my app running on their PC half a world away.

Anyhow - Musn't thread jack Scott's thread. Back to Logic X. Great software. Going to invest in learning some of the same lessons that Scott spoke about above. Lots of tools in there that helps creativity, and I want to maximise my time in ramping up my skills in the app...

Please jack my thread, just because these topics start at a certain place, doesn't mean they can't evolve.

I had the same feeling as geriatric, you do move in many circles.

I never want to be stuck in a specific genera, as the 70's are gone. The 80's are gone. What we have left is whats now and what's in our head trying to get out. Now I know we have a lot of metal heads, which is great, but even Tosin and the like are trying to take it in a more now direction. My concern has always been for me, that there are so many players locked into the sameness, that it becomes kind of a running spinal tap joke. I spent the last part of the year, retuning, relearning music theory again. Learning to play fast, like all the other kids, because that's what their doing now. And after I learned a bunch of fast licks, and learned a few songs, I was kind of done with it. It seemed limiting to me, and I thought to myself, maybe this is the reason why Gary Moore, wouldn't play rock music anymore, and just stuck with the blues. Now these are just my opinions of course, and don't mean much in whole to someone else, but it is an interesting discussion.

So my day dream self says to me. Hey I watch these YouTube videos of all these everyday average joes, creating music and selling them to someone young smart and cute who records it and makes millions. I'll take some of that Alex for 100.
Listening to some of these songs, I have always thought I have heard nursery rhyme melody lines, that can't be to hard to do, if you just get the education down to learn how to do it.

I don't care how old you are, the schtick about teaching an old dog a new trick is a fallacy. As long as you can learn it, you can do it.

One thing that is missing in today's pop culture world, is more guitar. Guitar should be in everything, whether it be subtle or in your face, it should be there, in my opinion. I just haven't figured out how to do that yet, since I'm a newbie, learning how.

OK. This is round three, a lot more rockin this time. Only one keyboard buried in there somewhere.

I was just trying to find chords that fit together in the key of A. This is with firmware version 11.01. The model believe it or not is the Dumble patch that LVC made awhile ago. LVC is probably pulling out his hair, because this is usually a beautiful clean patch. the drive I used is the Eternal love pedal with the drive maxed.

I know this stuff isn't the greatest, as I am in learning mode now. There is so much to learn when using Logic pro X, that I am completely inundated with watching someone doing it and then doing it myself. Since my last song I bought EZDrummer even though there is a pretty great Drummer built in. Audiodeluxe.com had a half off sale last week and I couldnt resist buying it.

My goal is to write at least 40 songs in a two month time span.

my saying has always been Observation, imitation, repetition, internalization. Right now I'm on the constant repeat... I can't tell if my wife thinks I'm crazy or not. I guess we'll find out soon enough, as I can play pretty loud sometimes...:mrgreen

One thing I can say, is that it sounds a lot better from the Daw then it does soundcloud. I apologize if any of you work for soundcloud.

I hope in this conversation, that other people who don't write at all jumps on board and share's their stuff, Because after you have the AXE-FX you need to use it, and I can't think of a better way.

Last edited:
Cool stuff. I don't have Logic Pro X yet...waiting to get a newer Mac :) But yeah Logic is the bomb if your a Mac guy. Been using it since Logic 7. And yes the EXS24 sampler, Space Designer & Sculpture are worth the whole price!

Been using Logic for a while now too. I think I might try the Groove3 lessons as a little structure in learning seems to help push me forward faster. Thanks for this thread--inspiring--and I hope it or another Logic thread continues.

Back
Top Bottom