Haven't updated the firmware in 2 years. What do I need to think about?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
My Axe-FX II (original Mark I) has been in storage since October or November 2013. I want to update the firmware, but I seem to remember reading something about that I can't do it the normal way that I used to, without screwing up the presets or something. It currently has firmware 12.XX. Could somebody tell me what I need to know, or where I can find that out?

installing firmware: Backup, Install, and Rollback Firmware

new presets you'll need; i'd suggest replacing everything and starting from scratch: Factory Presets for FW 18.03 or Newer - Axe-Fx II | AxeFxTutorials.com

latest official firmware: Axe-Fx II - Firmware 19.00 Released | AxeFxTutorials.com

latest public beta (i'd suggest installing this): Axe-Fx II BREAKING NEWS - "Quantum" Firmware 1.00 Public Beta Released! | AxeFxTutorials.com

all this info is available on my Latest Info page: Latest Info | AxeFxTutorials.com

It currently has firmware 12.XX. Could somebody tell me what I need to know, or where I can find that out?

Wow Chris, pretty hardcore AxeFXTutorials.com plug right there ;) !

In addition to Chris' incredibly helpful links, you definitely need to backup presets using Axe-Edit or other means first. With that said and understood, you will be blown away by the large jump in firmware upgrades. The "G3" modeling technology that FAS has delivered [and now "quantum" modeling], it has made the amp/cab modeling technology that much better in the guitar world.

Give it a shot when you have 1-3 hours available to update and play with the new dynamics.

Enjoy mate!!

Funny, reading through the release notes, I can't seem to find the mention of a update that needed to be handled differently. Perhaps I dreamt it? :p

Anyway, can I backup my presets with Axe-Edit or Cab Lab with my current firmware?

Also, does anybody know why not all new added amps where mentioned in the release notes? X88 lead etc.

Backup your presets as suggested above, but I'll recomend to start from scratch. There was a lot of improvements/changes since FW12 so most of your presets won't sound as it should.

Backup your presets as suggested above, but I'll recomend to start from scratch. There was a lot of improvements/changes since FW12 so most of your presets won't sound as it should.

I'd like to save at least most of my effects. I spent ALOT of time on my flangers, phasers, multidelay etc. I really don't want to start from scratch there ;)

I'd like to save at least most of my effects. I spent ALOT of time on my flangers, phasers, multidelay etc. I really don't want to start from scratch there ;)
Yeah, the effects change won't be as dramatic as the amp changes.
Reload your presets once you update but reset the amps in each preset and tweak'em from scratch.

Effects are going to change too, mix laws for the delays have changed since version 12 I believe, improved flanger, new chorus options, etc.

I did the same thing when I jumped from FW 15 > FW 17. Had a BoC "Burning For You" preset with all the delays and flanger dialed in. However, you will find it best to start from scratch as far as the amps/cabs go. It served me best to back them up, update, import the preset next to a new preset so I could copy/paste the effects block from one to another in Axe-Edit. Does that make sense?

That big of a jump , I think would be best to start from scratch ! Much has changed ! Oh and don't forget to put on a diaper cause you'll crap yourself when you hear the improvement!!!:)

I did the same thing when I jumped from FW 15 > FW 17. Had a BoC "Burning For You" preset with all the delays and flanger dialed in. However, you will find it best to start from scratch as far as the amps/cabs go. It served me best to back them up, update, import the preset next to a new preset so I could copy/paste the effects block from one to another in Axe-Edit. Does that make sense?

Kinda. Right now I plan to backup, update, and then import my old presets, and just reset the amp/cab block etc. My presets are very big, with alot of X/Y, complex wiring etc. I'd rather reset blocks than start all over :)

why bother backing up presets he might not even remember? It has been two years. Just start from scratch. The game has changed so much

why bother backing up presets he might not even remember? It has been two years. Just start from scratch. The game has changed so much

he mentioned he has effects that he does remember, probably saved in Presets. so might as well back them up.

heck, i think the Update Firmware process should automatically do a backup of all presets, cabs and system info...

You can save your individual blocks, too, not just the presets. You can store them and recall them and build new presets without having to bounce back and forth. You can save as many iterations of a block as you like, each with different settings. I want the drive block from this yek preset with the delay block from that Simeon preset... et cetera and so on and so forth. Those settongs don't change with FW updates. You don't ever have to start from scratch if you do the click work ahead of time.

Think about quitting your job, losing your wife and kids, giving up on personal hygiene, friends, and anything besides playing guitar.

Think about quitting your job, losing your wife and kids, giving up on personal hygiene, friends, and anything besides playing guitar.
SELL+THE+HOUSE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom