Have you played AX8 live with no issues on the lag; without compensating in anyway?

Have you played AX8 live switching from one amp to another with no issues on the lag; without compensating in anyway?
AX8 has hardware limitations and i dont think any firmware update will ever fix it. Maybe Cliff can clear it out.

If users are having problems with it; i prefer spending more and get an Axe FX2. I don't like limitations or barriers!
I will have 2 seamless switching cab blocks.
If money allows, in the future i could have 2 units for 4 seamless switching cab blocks, and redundancy.

Last edited:
I've used it live on about 40 shows since I've had it... I've never had any issues with switching or limitations..

My main gig is a Corporate Cover Band, playing Top40 and Party Classics. I use 4 main presets that all have variations through the use of I/A switches and there's 2 or 3 song specific presets.

For me, the AX8 allows me to show up at a gig with minimal setup, just my Guitars, the AX8 and In Ear Monitoring. It's perfect for fly gigs.

Edit: When I switch between a Dirty and Clean, I just pre-empt the change and switch just before the one (beat) and then there's no noticeable drop.

Yes, there are delays which can be larger or smaller depending on the way you configure the AX8 and set up your patches. The AxeFX also has delays under certain circumstances that require either luck or planning to avoid or minimize. AxeFX is more powerful and there are less delays and more workarounds. AX8 is more portable and has an amazing user interface built right into the pedal board. I think that more or less sums it up.

I've used it live on about 40 shows since I've had it... I've never had any issues with switching or limitations..

My main gig is a Corporate Cover Band, playing Top40 and Party Classics. I use 4 main presets that all have variations through the use of I/A switches and there's 2 or 3 song specific presets.

For me, the AX8 allows me to show up at a gig with minimal setup, just my Guitars, the AX8 and In Ear Monitoring. It's perfect for fly gigs.

Edit: When I switch between a Dirty and Clean, I just pre-empt the change and switch just before the one (beat) and then there's no noticeable drop.

Well then; when you switch between a dirty and clean you have to think in advance to switch just before the one beat? That's for me is limiting.
I don't want to think about anything other than the presets i have to switch. Just be in the moment and play!

Yes, there are delays which can be larger or smaller depending on the way you configure the AX8 and set up your patches. The AxeFX also has delays under certain circumstances that require either luck or planning to avoid or minimize. AxeFX is more powerful and there are less delays and more workarounds. AX8 is more portable and has an amazing user interface built right into the pedal board. I think that more or less sums it up.

The way i imagine my setup is having 3 main presets. 3 different amps; seamless switching between them. I'l need 2 AXE FX's.
But will start with 1!

Reactions: sam
Yes, no issues. My presets are fairly simple and I don't use x/y on amp block. I don't try to match tones exactly, in the ballpark is good enough for us. I have about 7 presets I use that will cover our 3-4 hour show. Never been happier as far as gigging performance.

Yes, no issues. My presets are fairly simple and I don't use x/y on amp block. I don't try to match tones exactly, in the ballpark is good enough for us. I have about 7 presets I use that will cover our 3-4 hour show. Never been happier as far as gigging performance.

I have no doubts about it!
Each in it's own branch.

Personally i want to be able to switch between 3 amps all the time without lag; with reverb, sometimes delay, sometimes chorus.
I don't think thats asking too much!
If AX8 doesn't do that; FX2 will!

I would certainly like to have seamless switching with no lag as well. The Fractal gear does many things incredibly well, but this is not something that they have perfected. I think it would take a new design and new hardware to make it work at least with the features (scenes, presets, x/y) that they have now.

I would certainly like to have seamless switching with no lag as well. The Fractal gear does many things incredibly well, but this is not something that they have perfected. I think it would take a new design and new hardware to make it work at least with the features (scenes, presets, x/y) that they have now.

Yes!
For those who can only afford 1 unit wether AXE or AX8 it would be nice AXE FX3 or AX9 have 3 gapless switching cab blocks.

Have you played AX8 live switching from one amp to another with no issues on the lag; without compensating in anyway?
AX8 has hardware limitations and i dont think any firmware update will ever fix it. Maybe Cliff can clear it out.

If users are having problems with it; i prefer spending more and get an Axe FX2. I don't like limitations or barriers!
I will have 2 seamless switching cab blocks.
If money allows, in the future i could have 2 units for 4 seamless switching cab blocks, and redundancy.

Get an Axefx.
The Ax8 is great but if tone switching lag is a problem for you, you're not gonna be happy.

I think, you are asking the question in a way, so there can only be one answer.

If I design my presets to have no switching lag, I am compensating, and if I switch half a second before, I absolutely need it, I am compensating.

Truth is, I played 20 gigs with this thing last year, and at no point was the switching lag a problem in a live situation.

When I design presets, I think about, which changes need to be instant, and I make an effort to make these changes seamless. In reality, those changes are quite few. For the rest, I don't care.

As above. I think in general it's not a good idea to massively change the core tone mid song so any laggy changes will only be between songs.

I agree with the two responses above. Any lag has never been a problem for me Live. You just have to plan for these things. The AX8 is the best piece of amp simulator and efx I've ever used, but don't set your sights to be unrealistic. I've never used an axe-fx. I think you need to stop analyzing this and try one of them. I'll note that I had the Helix for 6 months before the AX8 and it was able to switch a little more seamlessly, so that may be another option if switching is your most important thing, it's really good also, but decided to go with AX8. I'll also caveat that I don't change my core amp much live and really like some of the AX8 effects and drives if I need to change the tone quickly. Part of that is I like to keep some consistency, like in the old days when I hand just one amp. The drives are great. Ultimately you just need to try one and decide if it's better than what you are doing now. It is for me, I've never been so happy with a piece of gear as fractal.

Certainly no problems live switching between scenes/XY/presets. I can make it work. The gap in the looper when switching presets makes it hard to use live unless you stay on the same preset (being that the looper isn't global, but should be).

There is no gap less switching on Ax of Axe. It is not bad. I have no issues live with my Ax and never had issues with my Axe. Not really much more than switching channels between channels on my old tube multi channel amps.

Regularly people bring up that "lesser" units have gapless switching. Those units don't have the same business going on under the hood that the FAS stuff has

Get an Axefx.
The Ax8 is great but if tone switching lag is a problem for you, you're not gonna be happy.
Not necessarily. I play out 2 to 3 times per month. The other guitarist and I both have AX8's now and have no issues getting around the lag. I keep mine to a minimum by making sure I dont go above ~75% CPU utilization. I have never been happier with my setup.

I agree with Smittefar above. I have no problem with gaps. I have one bank of 8 presets that cover what I need. I don't switch presets within one song and I don't use amp block x/y but instead I use CTL switches to change from clean to dirty. I don't want to change amps in a preset but prefer to use the CTL switches to add gain or boost. I want my tone to be consistent so I stay with one amp in a preset. There is virtually no lag with this setup.

Yep!
Damn, a significant increase in €. But might well be worth the extra.
What you might try is an Axe FX II in the loop of an Ax8 If you have the cash. That would give you two extra cabs and amps that you could switch seamlessly!! And it would only be an additional $600 compared to an Axe FX + MFC 101!!!

Back
Top Bottom