Have you delved into pickup swaps?

I ripped out the stock set of prs 58/15 lt pickups in my custom 24 wood library and put in a set of bkp silos and it's been well worth it since it gave the guitar a much beefier tone that i wanted from it. I still wanna try the bkp polymaths, lundgren black heavens and fishman devin townsend set.

I'm anxiously awaiting a "custom" Super Distortion and Norton from Dimarzio to replace the illuminators in my Majesty. I pray that it's the illuminators I can't stand and not the preamp 🤞

Often it’s just the hunt for something new that’s not always needed.
As luthier I did some experiments over the years.
I had many customers who are professional musicians who earned their money with music.
Many of them asked my to change the pickups in their guitars.
But mostly they are not satisfied with the result.

So I told them about „some secret weapon“ pickups, some magic that I have behind in a closet.

So I changed the pickups to the original one that were in the guitar before… and…surprise surprise often they are really happy and satisfied.
And of course that service was for free.

But yes of course a pickup change can make a big difference to the sound and feel of the guitar. But be shure that this is what you are really looking for.

Oh boy, what a can of worms...OK, here goes...

I've done it three times in my life, the first two were fast and easy the third was a doozy in terms of wasted time, energy and money...but I got there...

The first was back in 1990, I was still a kid digging metal stuff, I had picked up the guitar a year before that so, no real knowledge, no access to information out there (no internet, the dark era), just a few magazines like Guitar World etc. My first guitar was a super strat (HSS) knock off , totally $hitty pickups. I didn't care much about the middle and neck but I needed a good bridge pup (=back then that was one with a buttload of output, lol). Well, I saved some money, entered a local store and bought a Dimarzio humbucker pickup (I don't remember the model, one half had a bar, the other half had the normal 6 string poles and the bloody thing was pink!). That was it, first and almost random try, I was happy until I stopped digging metal.

The second was a few years after I bought my first decent guitar, a MIA '57 RI strat (57/62 pickups), that was in 1994. In terms of information accessibility nothing had changed (still no internet) but it didn't matter, I was flat broke anyway and more interested in playing and recording than anything else. Fast forward to around 2006, now I could afford a couple of sets of pups to get closer to the sounds I was after and I had already done my research (thank you internet!). And along came a set of CS69s. That was it, the next couple of years I bought another two sets for my other two guitars and I was happy for a dozen years until, well, I wasn't...

By the end of 2019, I knew something was very wrong with my sound...I had changed, my tastes had changed, my playing had changed...I didn't love or even like scooped sounds anymore, I wanted more mids and a fatter sound overall...So, could I have become a humbucker guy after 25 years of playing and loving strictly SSS strats? In terms of bridge sound I was pretty sure I already was a HB guy, I always hated the traditional strat bridge clean sound anyway, personally I only used the bridge with fuzzes. But I wasn't playing "dirty" anymore. OK, then, the first batch was four Dimarzios, Fast Track 2, Tone Zone S, Pro Track, and Air Norton S. The Fast Track 2 just wasn't for me, way too hot and middy for clean sounds. I used the rest as bridge pups in my strats.

That was the easy part...now what about the middle and neck positions? I thought, OK, I might as well just go with hotter single coil voiced pups so I bought a couple of Cruisers and Fast Track 1's, one pair for each of my "active" guitars. Right? Now, I stopped touching the guitar I put the Cruisers in a couple of weeks later (that was clearly a sign I didn't like the pups). I liked the Fast Track 1s better but I was still stuggling...I started messing around with settings that I had never messed with before on my AF2 and AF3 later on.

Something wasn't right...I had already tried the Air Norton S in the neck position some time ago, took it out a few seconds later, too boomy for me. Then one day I wanted to rewire my two active guitars, so I thought, I might as well start with the guitar with the Cruisers and the Pro Track in the bridge. So I go, OK, let's disconnect everything and try the Pro Track in the middle and neck, and if I am not in the mood to assemble them all back, no problem, my other guitar was my favorite anyway. Well, you should see my face the moment I tried out the Pro Track in the neck/middle positions. That was it! It's official, I am a full humbucker voicing dude! I got rid of the Cruisers and Fast Track 1s, ordered another 3 Pro Tracks (after that I stopped using that Pro Track in the bridge position, I prefered the Tone Zone S and Air Norton S) and Bob's your uncle, the rest is history...

Come to think of it, that last journey was my fault for being that long and I was lucky, I know a lot of people that go through a dozen or so pickups (for each position lol) and they are still not satisfied so...

I just hate the pickup rabbit hole though, I really hope my tastes never change again...

Last edited:
I’m trying to resist the rabbit hole more than necessary….

Strat started with lace sensors from factory, swapped with Rio Grande Tallboy/Muy Grande for that “Texas” sound in early 2000s (facepalm), now on Zexcoil vintage set because I don’t do 60 cycle hum. Currently love these but could be at risk in future. Am I missing something because I went noiseless? I don’t know.

Explorer was purchase with EMG 81/85 but found these one dimensional and replaced with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary. That’s a permanent swap, those pickups are gas, especially as I now have another guitar with active pickups that is more metal focused.

Oh boy, what a can of worms...OK, here goes...

I just hate the pickup rabbit hole though, I really hope my tastes never change again...
That story honestly sounds a bit like a nightmare to me.

I probably should say that when I had my "strat" (G&L Legacy), it went through a LOT of different wiring schemes. Some of them, I tried with different pickups as well (which, I think, were just stock, Fender vintage noiseless, Lollar something or other, and SD Red Devils).

Honestly, I should have taken my intense desire to tinker with that guitar as a sign that it just wasn't right for me. As far as modern(ish) feeling strats go, I still think G&Ls are awesome. But, that's just not what I've been into for a long time. Some of the pickups (and wiring mods) kind of brought out different things about the guitar, but none of them fundamentally changed its sound....and none of them changed the overall feel of it (obviously). Okay, that's not fair...some of the series/parallel/phase switching I did at various points did make it sound terrible (to me). I think I started down that wiring harness rabbit hole from reading about Brian May's guitar and wanting to hear a lot of those kinds of things for myself.

I also want to point out that modifying Fender-style guitars is a huge PITA to me....just because the electronics are on the pick guard and it's more of a pain to get to them than something with a rear access plate.

I changed pickups 3 times, once on a DF strat, to Klein PU when they were still affordable, sold them and discovered aftarwards it probably was the blender wiring that made them suck. Then on another guitar, a Squier vc strat I changed to a set of Lollar Dirty Blondes in standard wiring, that I got 2nd hand for 150 box and was very happy with it. Sold the guitar when wanted to buy a Schecter strat (that I still have and sounded OK from stock).
I also changed the ceramic PU from a Squier Japan strat 85, for a handwound small priced set from a small french producer, CB pickups. Sounds great and does the job.
And lately I changed PU on a Cort Yorktown, couldn't stand the classic rock HB PU that caused any Amp to go into overdrive. I found a handwired set from another small producer FBG Pickups, 150 euro for a set of UL'Trons that do a good job.
My 2 cts : any correctly built handmade PU will sound great, no use to spend more than 150 for a new set, they won't sou'd any better.
My G&L sounds killer from stock and so do my Schecters. Also a texmex deluxe strat I had was great from stock.

This is a rare job;
Take Throbak 101s out.
It is a 64 Gibson 335 and it had 101s in.
IMG_2985.jpeg
I think they are the best easily available PAF replica.
Going in is a set of 64 patent nos.
IMG_2986.jpeg
IMG_2987.jpeg
Is it better ? no just different and only very slightly. So why spent £3K on pickups? It completes the guitar simple as that.
The owner will take this out on tour and like it better now so yes it was worth it . You often only get vey small differences if your pickups were quality to start with but it is the easiest way to fine tune the sound of a guitar you would otherwise like a lot more. But make sure you do it for you because nobody else is going to notice.

Last edited:
Andy’s response echos my experience with the vineham vs mike turk set on my R9. Im going to swap the bridge pickup on a different les paul because it plays how I want but doesnt quite sound how I want.

For a time, yes.

When I played Ibanez RG's I tried a variety of pickups. DiMarzio Super Distortion, PAF, Steve's Special, Air Norton. Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, JB, '59. I've had Duncans in my ESP for so long I don't really remember what any other pickup is like, which is why I may do a few experiments. My ESP Horizon FR Snow White has a JB in the bridge and a white Pearly Gates in the neck. I'd be curious to try out the Petrucci SFAM Steve's Special + Air Norton combo but my money is tied up saving up for a new Ernie Ball or Suhr...

I remember loving the Steve's Special + Air Norton combo in my Ibanez RG2820 Prestige - I played a lot of Dream Theater on that guitar and that bridge pickup was so articulate - it sounded great.

I just got done doing a full pickup and pick guard change on my Charvel.
Absolutely hated the Duncan Distortions in this so much that it made me not want to play it. Also wasn't fond of the volume placement, so I ordered a new pick guard and an Suhr Aldrich for the bridge and chucked a Dimarzio HS3 on the neck. To me it sounds much better now

Before
IMG-1136.jpg

After
IMG-2163.jpg

Wanted to get it strung back up, I have a black cover coming for the HS3 that ill swap out next string change

I just got done doing a full pickup and pick guard change on my Charvel.
Absolutely hated the Duncan Distortions in this so much that it made me not want to play it. Also wasn't fond of the volume placement, so I ordered a new pick guard and an Suhr Aldrich for the bridge and chucked a Dimarzio HS3 on the neck. To me it sounds much better now

Before
IMG-1136.jpg

After
IMG-2163.jpg

Wanted to get it strung back up, I have a black cover coming for the HS3 that ill swap out next string change
That look very nice. Yes f#cking DiMarzio HS don't fit a strat cover.

Did trying more than one pickup in a guitar (height and pole piece adjustments not withstanding) work enough to be worthwhile for you?

I know we have lots of different players on this forum; some have one guitar some have 100. Some folks swap pickups hunting for “it” and some people just change strings.

How has the pickup rabbit hole worked for you?
I don’t have a ton of guitars, but I have gone down the pickup rabbit hole.

I have a 93 fender standard tele which has been swapped twice (Lollars, and then Fralin noiseless)

The noise less pickups in this case were more for the reduction in emi than tone, as the Lollar specials are fantastic (to me)

I have two Strats(one SSS and one HH) that have both been swapped at least once. The S3 has Rose pickups in it now (but the neck is shot) but the biggest take away from all of this is that I don’t really like hum bucker pickups. I have done three(?) sets in that guitar, including some that are highly regarded. I have EJ customs in it now, and like it well enough, but I am not blown away.

It is kind of fun as a hobby to play with this kind of thing. It helps if you can solder. If you can’t, the solderless harness are great and make the work way easier.

It really helps to go into it with an idea of why you want to change the current pickups as it should help limit the choices a bit.

I am not a gear snob, but I went with Lollar and Fralin (of which I have a few sets) because I was able to call up the companies and ask questions about what I wanted to get out of the swap and get suggestions based on that. In those cases, both Jason and Lindy spoke to me for a bit, asking great questions and giving good suggestions. To me, that is worth the price premium over something like a SD or DiMarzio.

Randall

I put a 500T in my les paul classic and it sounds better for my use case now. The low strings really struggled harmonically for whatever reason, now it sounds as it should. I was worried it would be too hot, but maybe because it’s chambered it sounds like Hot PAF to me :). Success!

A few weeks a go I got a luthier to change my schecter USA pickups to some Suhr SSH+ ones and it was soo bright that I decided to change them back. A different luthier did a direct swap but there was something not quite right as the Schecter ones sounded really thin in the bridge and a bit quacky sounding. I had a look at the wiring compared to the official wiring diagram and it was all wrong (not the fault of the 2nd luthier as they just followed the wiring from the 1st luthier)

just got it back again from the 2nd luthier and all is good again.

Back
Top Bottom