Have you delved into pickup swaps?

Budda

Axe-Master
Did trying more than one pickup in a guitar (height and pole piece adjustments not withstanding) work enough to be worthwhile for you?

I know we have lots of different players on this forum; some have one guitar some have 100. Some folks swap pickups hunting for “it” and some people just change strings.

How has the pickup rabbit hole worked for you?

Last edited:
Did trying more than one pickup in a guitar (height and pole piece adjustments not withstanding) work enough to be worthwhile for you?

I know we have lots of different players on this forum; some have one guitar some have 100. Some folks swap pickups hunting for “it” and some people just change strings.

I’m an avid pickup switcher and I can say that I have been really deep into the rabbit hole you talk about and am currently still residing there.
Switching pickups can make a difference of night and day, but you have to take some things into account like body wood and bridge type for instance. But again, it’s a quick way to change your guitar’s output, both in terms of gain as “EQ-wise”. But as most of the times, result may vary…..

Key part of that phrase is "rabbit hole." :) All "rabbit holes" carry similar characteristics, and
tend to have diminishing returns over time. Speakers, Pickups, FRFRs, Power amps, Cables, Guitars,
Overdrive pedals, and Amps. All Rabbit-holes..... rabbit-holes.... rabbit-holes.

At some point I found I had to put down all the obsessive-compulsiveness of the rabbit-holing
and just play. Just playing is what I always wanted to do. I never wanted to obsess and tweak
and fret about minutiae and experience all the FOMO of what kind of gear I am missing out on,
only to often go, "Hey, I took one step forward, but two steps back."

That said, some pickups just plain suck!! Or suck for the style of music we want to play.

Key part of that phrase is "rabbit hole." :) All "rabbit holes" carry similar characteristics, and
tend to have diminishing returns over time. Speakers, FRFRs, power amps, cables, guitars,
amps.

At some point I found I had to put down all the obsessive-compulsiveness of the rabbit-holing
and just play. Just playing is what I always wanted to do. I never wanted to obsess and tweak
and fret about minutiae and experience all the FOMO of what kind of gear I am missing out on,
only to often go, "Hey, I took one step forward, but two steps back."

That said, some pickups just plain suck!! Or suck for the style of music we want to play.
That last statement is key! Couldn't agree more. But I also think the same applies to the instrument. Use the right instrument with the right pickups for the kind of tone and response you need for a particular use. Sounds easy enough, but man have I lost a lot of time over the years trying to force an apple into an orange.

I have swapped out pickups in all but 4 guitars I've ever owned, believe I've owned close to 30 guitars over the years. Some guitars have gone through a few different types and brands until finding the set that provides the tone I'm looking for from a particular guitar. I may have drunk the kool-aid but do find there is a tonal benefit to be had by experimenting with different pickups.

I have swapped pickups years ago but honestly I only buy guitars these days that fit perfect and I don’t swap pickups anymore.
Actually (just for me) guitars should fit and sound perfect and if they are not, then it’s not my guitar.
That’s why I only play three Music man LIII these days which are absolutely perfect for what I play.

done a couple of swaps but always find the wiring / soldering difficult, and did'nt really get the improvement expected so now I just work with whatever stock ones are provided. Plus, with all the tone shaping mechanisms available in Axfx, does not seem to matter as much.

rabbit hole GIF

Being in the position of being able to try practically everything without having to buy it is a lucky position BUT it does mean I can say that the perfect pickup IS out there for you. It's certainly not the case that all paf replicas are similar and the amp can take care of the difference. My personal favourites are Throbak ,Ron Ellis and Tom Holmes and yes they all have the "extra" bit of 3 dimensional sound that is just missing in most. A budget favourite is Seymour Duncan Antiquity. These differences are more apparent on a simple one channel tube amp pugged straight in and are diminished by adding anything to the chain. If you do this the pick, cable ,string brand and everything all form a noticeable part of your tone. If you are looking for the best of the best tone in your fingers all of these things are critical and the perfect pickup is a key part.
I was a sceptic until I played a real vintage burst in to a Dumble OD and it was just four times the size. You then start chasing what you can change without loosing much.

Last edited:
I do my fair share of swaps, mainly in my PRS's Ive got a set of Mules in my one Cu22 and Duncan Custom Custom Bridge and APII Neck in another 2 of my 22's. Have a set of Evo's in my one Cu24 but those will be getting switched out when i get my WCP Godwood for the bridge and figure out what I'm gonna put in the neck. If i have something stock that works though they stay where they are, and once i get a set i like in a guitar same thing.

But I love swapping pickups.
i will say this get good quality soldering equipment, i worked for years with the cheap Radio Shack soldering iron and always found it difficult and would get frustrated, once i got a good station it all came together so much easier and quicker.

I’ve done my share of pickup replacements over 46 years of messing with electric guitars, but rarely do it now. Most of the time I buy a guitar because I like how the model or particular guitar sounds, so messing with it isn’t productive. I have enjoyed doing a couple of replica guitars to chase the sounds of David Gilmour and Dana Key, two guitarist influences of mine, where matching pickups from their most used instruments was part of the chase... part of replicating the guitar. I suppose that’s different from the OP question, but it’s one reason to swap.

I don’t think it’s the mandatory thing some do, nor do I see it as a useless drink of koolaid. It’s an option that can be just the thing if you know what you lack and what a certain pickup can offer. Just be careful or you’ll have a pickup drawer that looks like the one Fred Sanford had for glasses!

I have one guitar on its 4th set and have concluded it just isn’t a great sounding guitar. On others I have had better results. I pretty much always wind up changing at least once.

I didn't like the stock tone of the PU's in my LP Custom way back..., I wanted more..., "bite", and I knew nothing about it. So the sales guy suggested I try a SD JB, and it got me maybe halfway there. Then I bought an EMG 81, but stopped short of figuring out how to deal with the battery. But I did twist some of the wires together to hear the various combinations, and they did sound pretty damn good. So that PU never got used.

But that's as far as I ever took to PU swaps. I've pretty much been more concerned with finding a guitar I like overall, and getting a great tone from my amp, and putting my main focus on my playing abilities. For me, that rates #1. All that tweaking stuff isn't really appealing. But I understand that for others, it can be a large part of being a guitarist.

Getting things dialed in here. Many of my guitars have had pickup swaps and have custom wiring setups.

The only one completely stock is the violet Custom 24, Adèle. PRS nailed that one. I briefly swapped hot and ground on the neck pickup wiring once, to try OOP, but the 59/09 pickups didn't play nice with it, so I put it back instead of putting in a pull switch tone pot to make it a permanently available option.

The orange tiger Studio, Hobbes, has all stock pickups but I put in the Custom 24 5 way lever switch to give it the possibility of swapping the middle pickup for the neck + Bridge combo in the middle switch spot.

Incidentally, the triple P90 Custom 22 has its switch set up permanently wired for that option. It got the Fralin hum free P90s that I initially put in the Noventa JM. Gotta sell that.

The SE24 Standard that started the PRS kick has my version of the 24-08 wiring, which swaps coil splits for series/parallel switches. Added a 1/2 OOP on the tone pull switch. 12 total different sounds. Also swapped the switch for a good Tele switch, for a more positive feel in the detents and likely longer service life.

The 245 was just rewired like a Gretsch, so it has master volume and tone, and individual "blender" volume pots per pickup that are reverse audio taper for better control at the top part of the pots' rotation. The series/parallel switches got moved to toggles and the one remaining tone pot's pull switch does the 1/2 OOP thing.

All 3 Teles have 5 way switches. Basically, all the 4 way choices, but with 1/2 OOP added as the 5th option on two, and middle + bridge instead of series on the red one, which actually retained the Fender neck pickup (albeit, relocated to the middle). Red also gas a tone knob pull switch to select series mode on the neck SD Jazz pickup when it is on alone. The two combined positions are auto-split by the 5 way switch, to make hum cancelling with the bridge pickup in the neck + bridge and neck 1/2 OOP + bridge spots.

The SG Special had DiMarzio P90 sized pickups with series/parallel switches on the tone pots. I installed them along with a ground-up rewire, which it needed due to the PC board mounted jack going crackly shortly after bringing it home. Might have already been crackly at the store. Got a good deal on it. Maybe that was why. Anyhoo, I pulled those and stuck a pair of Kinmans in. Wow, what a difference!

The BluesHawk comes stock with a series resistor to help tame the neck + bridge level, as the "Blues 90" pickups are series-wired. I upped the resistance a bit and bypassed it with a small cap to preserve the top end. Other than that, it works out of the box.

The HLK Lucky Lady got a pair of Lawrence L90 pickups - a 2H at the neck and a 4H at the bridge, along with rewiring the controls for master volume and passive treble and bass controls. Might someday add a switch for 1/2 OOP on the treble pot.

The Strat has seen many different setups in the 20 years I have owned it, including a long stint with a Lawrence L298TL Tele bridge pickup and a pair of L220? pickups in the other two spots. Currently it sports passive bass and treble, master volume, a series/parallel switch for the bridge L90-4H, which gets auto-switched to a default parallel wired config regardless of the mini toggle's position when the lever is in the middle + bridge spot. A second mini toggle swaps the middle spot on the lever from middle to neck + bridge.

What was the question?

I've switched on most of my guitars, but I tend to stick to the same these days. I know I like the Tone Zone, so if I don't like the stock PU, I put one in and match it with whatever in the neck.

Everybody has different hands....

That last statement is key! Couldn't agree more. But I also think the same applies to the instrument. Use the right instrument with the right pickups for the kind of tone and response you need for a particular use. Sounds easy enough, but man have I lost a lot of time over the years trying to force an apple into an orange.

The key is recognizing a good instrument by the physical aspects - neck feel, unplugged sustain, hardware, etc. - and sitting with it a bit to really get the hang of whether the stock electronics suit it and you. The SG Special was a prime example - felt great, sounded "ok" with the ridiculously overwound mini humbuckers it had. I had to fix the output jack, but replacement meant a gut-and-rewire job, due to Gibson's bright idea of putting everything on a PC board. At that point, I found a couple DiMarzios that fit and rolled with that for a few years. Then came the Kinmans. They really suit the guitar and the style of music I play lately. The DiMarzio setup was also well-suited to the guitar, but sounded more Leslie West or Joe Walsh mid-70s raunch. I found myself pulling them both into parallel mode to cool them off more often than not. Generally cooler, brighter pickups have become my new normal....

At my RG550LTD I have swapped more pickups than I can remember. I recall Dimarzio Fred, The Breed, Tone Zone, Evo 2, PAF Joe, Blue Velvet, Suhr Thornbucker... They were all very different. The Thornbucker was the most sterile, not for me. Now I am finally happy with a Suhr Alrdrich at the bridge and a Dimarzio Bluesbucker at the neck. The Bluesbucker has a nice P90ish tone and the best single-coil tone I have found so far in a humbucker when splitted, and the Aldrich has a unique punch at the mid frequencies that I love.

The never-ending story is with the Strat. I only have one (American Deluxe with Warmoth scalloped neck) and I have been swapping between two different pickguards every one or two years for the last 20 years. One has the EMG DG20, and the other has the combination of Gilmour's black strat: SSL-5 / Fender Fat'50. I cannot decide which one is the best. Now it is the EMG, but that could change again.

StratPickups.jpg
I wish I could have two, one with each pickguard, but the SSS Strat quota is one.

Last edited:
Other than my 2 signature Ibanez in the late 80s and early/mid 90s, I always switch out pickups.

Over time I have learned which ones work in which guitars, for me. For instance the JB is a known great in Les Puals and PRS guitars, in the bridge. I found them shrill at 2.5k so I looked for an alternative in the BK Holy Diver. That is where I settled for those type of guitars at this point. For shred style / super strat guitars my favorite are the Duncan jazz in the neck with a DiMarzio Distortion in the bridge always works well in basswood guitars IMO. In mahogany shred style / Super strat I like the JB jazz combo or even the DiMarzio Vai set sometimes.

The thing is you could never know what gives you exactly what you like until you try out a few pickups. There should be much less "rabbit hole" nowadays since there is so much info on pickup sets and what the eq is out of the box to make a pretty good guess first or second shot. If you know what you really want, that is.

My issue is I usually find stock HBs to be shrill, boomy, or lifeless. Even with adjusting the poles and height. Not all are like this though. I was a fan of active pickups in the 80s, but grew out of that as I grew as a player. Now I find actives too compressed.

James

Over the past 20 ( or so ) years I've basically had four ( 4 ) guitars that I considered my # 1 .... Everyone of them went through a pickup metamorphosis at least once !

Jackson PC-1 - I loved the sustainer ..., but never bonded w/ the original DiMarzio® Super 3™ in the Bridge, or the DiMarzio® HS2 in the middle ! So, I swapped them out for a Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge and a Suhr Fletcher Landau middle .... I loved the cut of the Aldrich and when split it combined really, REALLY well w/ the Fletcher Landau single ! I left the Sustainer circuit in the guitar w/ the Neck Pickup Sustainer driver ....

PRS C-24 - I started out w/ the HFS Treble and Vintage Bass .... Moved "back" to an original set of "T & B" pickups ..., then finally settled on Paul's first attempt at recreating the old PAF style ( 59/09's I think ? ) .... The guitar was "born" in 2000, but the original owner spec'ed it out like an original 1985. Vintage Yellow, Flame Maple, Birds, etc; etc; That was a "lovely" guitar ! More like a piece of furniture than a working man's "Axe" !

Las Nubes Partscaster - I had James Tyler build me a wiring harness based on his Studio Elite ! The bridge pickup started out w/ the “Super” ( approx. 18.2K ) and it was too hot for the singles …. I switched to the “Secret” ( approx. 13.5K ) and it balanced the single coils much better. The “Secret” is Jim’s version of a hot P.A.F. …. Also, the single coil pickups aren’t true singles. They are stacked-humbuckers ( Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks, I think ? ).

Anyway ..., I kept that for quite a while and then switched it out for a set of Bare Knuckles .... I had them build an H-S-S set w/ a VHII in the Bridge and Mother's Milk Single coils in the middle & neck. I had them add the Zinc base plate to only the Neck pickup. I still love it to this day ! The Bridge is a somewhat bright / hot PAF, it combines VERY well w/ the middle pickup ( "Strat. quack" ) and the Zinc plate on the Neck pickup gives it just a little more push ( SRV tones ! ) ....

Les Paul Historic - most recently I bought the Les Paul .... It came loaded w/ Wolfetone pickups and a 50's vintage wiring harness. I haven't had it apart yet ..., but I'm guessing that they're either the Legends, or the Dr. Vintage ? I played it next to a similar Historic loaded w/ Throbak's and there was pretty much no comparison .... The Throbak's sounded "more older" if that's even a thing ? I just received my Throbak replacements and they aren't even loaded up yet. I have high expectations after playing the other Historic ..., but we'll have to wait & see what they sound like in my guitar ?

After all this ..., for me it all comes down to two things:

First ..., don't make a move until you have a VERY CLEAR picture of what you're trying to accomplish !

And second ..., research, Research, RESEARCH ..., and then research some more ... ! With the recent exception of the Les Paul it took me 3 or 4 months to settle on making a change .... I watched YouTube vids ( not the greatest ) ..., read every thread I could find on Forums like this ! I talked w/ techs at every music store within a 100 mile radius of Milwaukee. And I asked questions directly of the manufacturers !

I have yet to be disappointed with any of the changes I've made ( 'knock' 'knock' - me knocking on wood ) ....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom