Closed Have the ability to set a block channel to Type = 'None' for CPU efficient scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO no one pointed out the biggest concern: load time to switch from null to something else. That will create latency during scene switching as the block will need to mute its I/O when loading the algorithm and setting the parameters.
Should be the same as changing channel while switching a scene...

IMHO no one pointed out the biggest concern: load time to switch from null to something else. That will create latency during scene switching as the block will need to mute its I/O when loading the algorithm and setting the parameters.
But would the load time be any different than switching channel on the block when you change scenes?? I dont think it would and its only the same principle isnt it.
I also dont think it would be any more confusing than the channels themselves. If anyone has a good reason to the contrary please speak up, but i really cant see it

As an option could be interesting for AXEFX III, but really useful for FM3...
To be honest, this ^^^
People who arent hitting the ceiling in the axe fx probably wont see the need, but the fm3 is a prime example of where it could be very useful to many.
Hell, making any system run more efficiently is just good practice anyway. Less wasteful and less energy consumed. Might not make a big difference individually, but add up all those watts saved when you do it en masse, and you start to see a real difference.

I also dont think it would be any more confusing than the channels themselves. If anyone has a good reason to the contrary please speak up, but i really cant see it
Pro: less CPU usage when bypass; use of higher resolution/quality effect
Cons: time lag when unbypass the fx; some way to calculate the istant CPU load preventing overload.

Hell, making any system run more efficiently is just good practice anyway. Less wasteful and less energy consumed. Might not make a big difference individually, but add up all those watts saved when you do it en masse, and you start to see a real difference.
I don't think we will consume less energy. Simply we'll run better algo or add another block instead of multiple preset!! :)

This would be dangerous because you could create a preset that is under the maximum threshold and then when you change the channel you go over the threshold and get audio dropouts.
very valid point, out of genuine curiosity though, is it not feasible for this to happen with a busy preset anyway? I only ask as I do hit the red warning flag when changing channels as it stands.

You could also incorporate a safety interlock, whereby all blocks are put into an active state when putting a new block on the grid. That way the maximum threshold can be respected, but gives the user the power to reduce the load when its just working harder than it needs to

If this was possible, a great use case I could see would be where maybe you want a Chorus in scene 1, a Flanger in scene 2 and a Phaser in scene 3.

If you are already tight on CPU then adding all 3 blocks might be impossible but if all 3 were set to this null type in every scene except on the single scene you need them, then it could work.

This would allow us kitchen sink guys even more options :)

Alternately, I had a thought yesterday morning (before seeing this thread) that was interesting but I threw it out (mentally) because I don't think it's possible:

What if you had a "meta block" where each channel could be a different effect type?

My example above (assuming the placement of each effect on the grid would be in the same location) would be very simple to implement.

I very much fit into the kitchen sink guy group, and do appreciate this philosophy comes with its limitations, but the group i play with, flexibility on the fly is way more important. Front man loves to mix it up!

Also your idea unix - seems another way to achieve the same result actually, and possibly a lot less complications - I like it a lot!
My suspicion is that my idea would be more complicated to implement than yours... And things like controller assignments could be a nightmare.

But in a lot of cases, it's exactly what I would want.

And also with effects that have "dynamic" CPU consumption like the Drive block.

In these cases the difference in CPU usage between channels isn't enough to cause audio dropouts, if the preset usage is below 80%. That applies to all blocks. But the difference between a "null" channel and a used channel may cause issues.

With the plex delay block, the difference between the most and least hungry types would top 20% if you switched 2 blocks simultaneously. This is only an example, and probably the worst case, but it's also switching channels on only 2 blocks.
My reason for asking wasn't so i could throw more work at it, but just give it an easier time under certain conditions.
Ok, an idea that just came to me as I type, but you tie the null to the effect you want to use - ie shimmer verb channel kills the delay and reverb blocks while active etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom