Have some fun, lock yourself up for a week with this monster and try it all

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
While we're waiting on the release of the result of Cliff's next epiphany, Fractal and Ownhammers IR's, I thought I'd prepare myself a bit.
In order to have some sort of baseline I set out to make a bank with all the amps and their appropriate cabs.
I'll use the X-cab as the base to compare with on the Y-cab, where I'll be trying out all kinds of cabs to see if I can find a better one.
I used the Wiki as a source to choose the cabs and settings for the amps (thanks again Yek for all the hard work!!)
I'm almost there.
104 amps done, 9 more to go.
And then I'll start checking them again to make sure the levels are more ore less equal.
But let me tell you, this has been fun and an eye opener.
Even though I'm not seeing myself using all amps - some I don't like all that much - there is a variety in the little black box that's quite overwhelming.
I can't recall ever hearing such a diversity in sounds in one box. The way they react, respond to different guitars (Strats, humbucker equiped superstrats, D# tuning, sevenstrings,..) is just amazing.
And I didn't even have to mess with a lot of parameters.
The only advanced parameter I often use is the bright cap.
And on some occasions (when it was mentioned in the Wiki, based on Cliff's advice) the input trim.
For the rest, just tried to find which cab I liked the most with a particular model.
Amazing piece of kit.
Thanks Cliff
Back to work now;)

yeah, and while we are at it, could you share the bank with all thusly created presets, please?

that would be very kind of you!

Thnx :)

No problems.
I'm checking them again and as soon as I've finished, I'll post the bank.
I'll include a spreadsheet with the list of amps, the suggested cabs, the one I used, master and level settings.
After that, I would like to check which advanced parameters I've tweaked and put those also in the list.

And here it is:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14506389/Amps%20%2B%20Cabs.zip

To put things into perspective a bit:
I like everything from classic rock to metal. I play Strats, Superstrats and sevenstrings.
When setting the gain in an amp, I try to find the spot where I get a good sustain and nice distortion but, when turning down, the amp cleans up.
Sometimes I have to engage the bright switch for this. On some amps however, I didn't do this because the highs became to harsh and couldn't be tamed even by turning down the value of the treble cap.
My Global amp gain is set at -4.6dB.
I noticed I could turn of the Noise Gate in the Layout Tab altogether them, except for a few amps.
But you'll find out for yourself.
I set the level of the cabs at -2.0dB because I feel that this corresponds with the level when bypassing the block.
Lo cut is at 60Hz, hi cut at about 6500Hz
I tried to use only the basic parameters and only adjusted the bright cap when I thought it was necessary.
I'll check with the default settings and update the spreadsheet.

I tried to stick with the suggested cabs unless I found they sounded too bad to my ears.
So feel free to experiment.
Levels should be about equal for all presets.

Have fun

Man! Your set must replace the factory presets! This is worth its weight in gold! No wait, this doesn't weigh anything! I love what you have done! Many amps that I've skipped over, "meh..", sound fantastic. I've done somewhat the same thing with 15 or so first factory presets so far, throw away the effects and find some settings that work, but you have it nailed much better.

Now I'll tweak some scenes into these, so that I'll have 4 flavours of each amp, starting with your settings... Well, at least for the 10 best ones.

Back
Top Bottom