Have 4 monitors? Use two stereo outputs to achieve semi-surround sound

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Surround Sound!

Well, not really, but something like it. Requires four monitors.

Use one stereo output for two front monitors. Use another for two rear monitors. Split the signal on the grid, and send it through 100% wet Reverb to the output feeding the rear monitors. Make sure that both outputs are turned up on the front panel. Sit in the middle and enjoy the ambience!

Can't post a clip of course but here's a visual example. The Delay makes the audio signal ping-pong between the two front monitors. The rear monitors receive a wet reverberated copy (Deep Space), without the delay. Sounds immense!

Much more is possible. Even semi-quadraphonic reproduction, but that's hard to set up and mix.

Schermafbeelding 2018-07-04 om 10.40.21.png

Last edited:
I can't imagine.... I have 2 friedmans that are to the direct left and right of me and they sound stellar.

Nice! I once made a 4.1 Wet/StereoDry/Wet guitar rig using 4 tube amps, 1 bass amp, a full pedalboard, and my Helix. It sounded MASSIVE. I never considered putting two of the amps behind me...

Very cool! Now you've got me thinking how I can produce a quadraphonic ping pong delay.

Much more is possible. Even semi-quadraphonic reproduction, but that's hard to set up and mix.

Can you elaborate? I'm curious as to what your ideas are.

I am currently enjoying a home setup with two Focal Solos in front and a MBritt FRFR behind me, and various routings using the III and a Guytron GT 100 FV /UAD OX config, numerous dimensions are possible and amazing

Very cool! Now you've got me thinking how I can produce a quadraphonic ping pong delay.

Can you elaborate? I'm curious as to what your ideas are.

Cab and Output blocks can handle an incoming stereo signal and keep Left and Right apart. You can connect Left and Right on the physical output to different monitors. We've got two Cab blocks, so that's a total of 4 different signals, that can be send to each of the monitors.

At the input side you have to feed the Cab and Output blocks a stereo signal. Each Cab/Output block has to be fed its own signal. So when using delays you'd put a stereo Delay in front of each cab.

So it's not like you can use a single Ping Pong delay, that shifts over 4 monitors. But you do have control over where a signal should appear.

This is all in theory, haven't tested it. Also, too much trouble, and totally useless for live use, but fun nevertheless. :)

Another fun thing to try with this layout is to put your wah after the cab in just one of the paths. Sounds great!

With my CLR’s and Centerpoint Space Ststion I find one really cool thing to do it run the mains with a typical smaller reverb, low mix, and then to the “surround” speakers send a very high time setting, with lots of pre-delay, and a 100% mix, at a lower volume.

Basically sounds like your physical amp is in this huge space if you close your eyes, even if your just sitting in a typical sized bedroom.

Different sounding that just using a big reverb setting because that sounds like reverb, obviously, but the sound of say a spring verb, which is then reverberated again and which sounds like it’s coming from 100 feet behind you is really trippy

I had a surround simulator years ago, don’t remember the name but I think it worked by sending different frequencies to each of 4 speakers with a reverb effect.

If you use two reverb blocks and get the timings from all 4 speakers correct it would sound huuuge! I think? Maybe play with two stereoizer/enhancers?

Another interesting application could be a quad-panner using a couple LFOs attached to a couple volume/pan blocks or the multiplexer.
Listen to the quadrophonic version of Pink Floyd's Money guitar solo to get an idea of the result ;)

Yep; I remember when you first suggested this idea. Love it!

I run 2 FRFR on the desk and two cabs behind me in the room. Everything I stereo. I do tend To place larger delays and bigger reverb’s into the (2) 2 x 12s.

Fun as hell!

Surround Sound!

Well, not really, but something like it. Requires four monitors.

Use one stereo output for two front monitors. Use another for two rear monitors. Split the signal on the grid, and send it through 100% wet Reverb to the output feeding the rear monitors. Make sure that both outputs are turned up on the front panel. Sit in the middle and enjoy the ambience!

Can't post a clip of course but here's a visual example. The Delay makes the audio signal ping-pong between the two front monitors. The rear monitors receive a wet reverberated copy (Deep Space), without the delay. Sounds immense!

View attachment 47985
Hello - is there a way to add an expression pedal or external volume pedals so I can fade the sound from front to back, and perhaps another expression pedal to pan left to right? I’d love to send my guitar sound around the room in total surround sound. Thank you! Chip

Hello - is there a way to add an expression pedal or external volume pedals so I can fade the sound from front to back, and perhaps another expression pedal to pan left to right? I’d love to send my guitar sound around the room in total surround sound. Thank you! Chip

It should be pretty simple to add a volume block before each output set a control to the volume parameter on both of them, change start to 100% and end to 0% on one of the blocks.

You could also have some fun with the LFO on the volume and balance controls and get the sound spinning around you if you set the phase outputs right.

Sure. You'd use a pair of volume blocks -- one for each pair of monitors -- set inversely for front/back balance, and another pair of volume blocks set normally (Non-inversely) to control balance on each pair of monitors. There's a new "3D" expression pedal coming out soon which behaves almost like a ball joint. I'll see if I can get the designer to post here.

Last edited:
Does anyone listen to their headphones and monitors at the same time, so your ears hear both at the same volume. Sounds huge. Unfortunately my living conditions don't allow me to do that too often.

Back
Top Bottom