has the axe replaced everything or not?

I run a Digitech Freqout, Whammy Ricochet in front, a Boss SY300 in the loop, running out through a Strymon Timeline into a Big Sky.

I realize the Axe can achieve a lot of what the Timeline can, but it's more for the unique sounds like Ice and the ease of use/editing on the fly. Especially handy when writingScreen Shot 2017-10-15 at 12.55.23 AM.png . I have a Mobius that's also running into the front, but soon to be replaced by the TC Quintessence Harmonizer.

I still love pedals and my GAS for new pedals hasn't stopped since the Axe fx. These days there are a lot of great pedal builders that do specialized things or pedals that have a specific sound that is not in the Axe. Also I miss some really good fuzz algos in the Axe fx. But what I miss most is hands on control on the fly. For recordings I could do without pedals.

Right now I still own a Hexe Revolver pedal, a Count to Five pedal, Dunlop Bass wah, Analog man bi compressor, Eventide H9, Brunetti Mercury Box, EHX Bassballs, Catalinbread Belle Epoch. I decide what and if I use certain pedals for specific gigs or bands.

I still keep an old Firewire audio interface around mostly because it's more convenient for general audio than running the Axe-Fx 2 all day long. No fan noise and easier control, not having to worry about 44 vs 48 KHz and so on. I have both the audio interface and Axe-Fx 2 hooked to my Genelecs (they have XLR and RCA inputs that can be used simultaneously).

In front of the Axe I still have a Whammy 5, a Digitech Freqout and a Boss DF-2. The Freqout obviously for feedback whenever I want it, I rarely use the Whammy, but it's cool to have it. Mostly to use as a trick by using the DF-2 to generate a constant feedback tone centered on a note of my choice, then play with the Whammy preset selector to create a harmony. You just can't do that with the Axe. Also, using the Whammy 5 it gives me the option to connect a Whammy MIDI controller to it, for crazy Whammy fun.

In the Axe loop I currently have a Line6 M5, because there some things Line6 does better. Like particle verb and sweep echo. I'd prefer to have a simple looper in there, controlled via MIDI from the MFC, so I can run a few more pedals in there, like a couple of fuzz pedals. Like a good Big Muff, Skreddy Lunar Module and a Fuzz Factory.

I sold my last Mesa Mark V last week and my remaining pedals, so I only have my Axe FX, tuner and Rocktron Talk Box.

I keep a small, simple watt tube combo amp, Handy Drive (predecessor to the Ethos pedal), and have a n EHX Canyon delay.

I rarely use that equipment. (In fact, I'm playing most acoustic recently...FBFW)

I use it for everything - I just retired my Rocktron Banshee talk box, because for 2 or 3 songs, it wasn't worth dragging it around - the formant block works fine, and I can always walk up to the mic and pretend!

The only pedal I had that the axe isn’t there (yet) is my Eventide Pitch Factor. I do believe the Axe will get there one day but the pitch block needs some serious work in my opinion to be great. The harmonizer sounds so artificial to me when compared to the Eventide.

Fractal stuff, plus

RJM MM GT/22
Fryette GPDI
EHX Mel9
TC PolyTune Mini
Lehle Mini
TC BodyRez
MXR Talk Box
Morningstar MC6
Beatbuddy
JHS Mini A/B
Akai MPX8
Shure GLX

It's a great tool, but it will never replace everything for me. There are just way too many options available to us these days.

I still have my HIWATT Custom 50 SA212 Combo... and all my boutique pedals...
just... because I can! :p
Seriously... how can i sell - say - my Chandler TD (signed by the Master himself) with a rare old-stock Mullard tube i waited for weeks from ebay?!!!
I know... i'm getting old... and sometime i just like to turn some real nipples! :D

The Axe FX is lacking in keyboard emulated types of sounds via the pitch shifting. I'm referring to the types of sounds that the EHX POG2 (and it's variants) can make. While not a sound I use often, I do regret selling my POG2 just because the Axe has a very hard time achieving those sounds.

I've been gigging with the AFX II/AX8 for several years now and haven't needed to augment them with any other pedal, amp, etc. Am completely satisfied with the FAS platform. When I hook up my old pedals, Marshall stack, etc. I can get some great tones and all of that but I always find the entire experience...lacking for several reasons. Portability, flexibility, versatility, and convenience are the main ones.

It's a gift that keeps on giving; there is so much to explore on the platform that I never, ever get bored with it and continue to find new favorite amps, effect settings, tweaks, tones....the list is endless.

I'm now currently mildly obsessed with copping the tones by Dave Kilminster with his Brunetti amp/rig after seeing Roger Waters last Friday night; man, did he have killer tones, so sweet and expressive. I've never heard of that amp until I researched his rig earlier this week.

The great thing is, the FAS platform has those tones inside somewhere, just waiting to be unleashed....this is my new mission. I absolutely loved Dave's sound and they're inspiring me to clone them. It's amazing that I'll not have to buy another amp, pedals, etc. to cop those tones...so yea, I'm AFX/FAS all the way.

The boss HM2.

There was a LOT of noise here a couple of years back with one user going so far as buying the (long since discontinued) pedal and putting it into cliffs hands. Some of the forums users made some patches attempting to replicate it using amp blocks instead of drive blocks etc with varying degrees of success.

In the end I was forced to commission a replica build.

I've been gigging with the AFX II/AX8 for several years now and haven't needed to augment them with any other pedal, amp, etc. Am completely satisfied with the FAS platform. When I hook up my old pedals, Marshall stack, etc. I can get some great tones and all of that but I always find the entire experience...lacking for several reasons. Portability, flexibility, versatility, and convenience are the main ones.

It's a gift that keeps on giving; there is so much to explore on the platform that I never, ever get bored with it and continue to find new favorite amps, effect settings, tweaks, tones....the list is endless.

I'm now currently mildly obsessed with copping the tones by Dave Kilminster with his Brunetti amp/rig after seeing Roger Waters last Friday night; man, did he have killer tones, so sweet and expressive. I've never heard of that amp until I researched his rig earlier this week.

The great thing is, the FAS platform has those tones inside somewhere, just waiting to be unleashed....this is my new mission. I absolutely loved Dave's sound and they're inspiring me to clone them. It's amazing that I'll not have to buy another amp, pedals, etc. to cop those tones...so yea, I'm AFX/FAS all the way.

I saw him three times on the last Steven Wilson tour and you are right - he sounded phenomenal (saw them in Montreal, Dallas and DC).

Check this out

Back
Top Bottom