has the axe replaced everything or not?

Metal1993

Inspired
What outboard gear do you still have that axe does not cover or you feel does not cover well enough to replace the real thing? Or what do you use to compliment the axe for outboard gear like a bbe or external delay etc etc..

I have a Whammy V, Freqout, and a Plus Pedal, also EHX Superego+ on order. These are some effects my AX8 cannot handle.

Yes. Sold all my amps and boutique stomp boxes. No regrets. Happier than ever. Played Axe-Fx II for years, now selling it. AX8 replaced it. Amazing hearing the same tones out of that little package that is set up SO well for live work. Can't justify keeping the rack setup as a backup, will buy another AX8. I'm done trying to make less devices work for me. The Fractal tone is too amazing. 3D compared to anything else I've ever tried.

I am tempted by a Freqout pedal, but I don’t think I’d use it enough and it’s not midi programmable. Also tempted by a drop tuning pedal but not enough to buy one.

So basically...my answer is yes!

I still use my Boss MT2 Metal Zone, as I find the Axe FX just can't replicate the tonal complexity of that pedal...

...just kidding. I use Axe for everything.
Na6JSrs.jpg

What outboard gear do you still have that axe does not cover or you feel does not cover well enough to replace the real thing? Or what do you use to compliment the axe for outboard gear like a bbe or external delay etc etc..
Nah does pretty much everything I have ever needed and then some. I would say there's still a bit of room for improvement, but that could also be contributed to operater error as I am not nearly as tech savvy as many of the guys here. As far as the BBE Sonic Maximizer, that's actually been discussed several times here. First and foremost, it sounds like garbage and makes you disappear in a mix, but all it is is an EQ curve. There's a video online somewhere showing exactly what it does in a computer visual format. There's literally nothing special happening with that one.

There are still things on my Roland GR55 synth the Axe-Fx doesn't do, but for amps and effects, the AFX has me covered bigtime. That said, I wouldn't mind adding a better looper to my signal chain.

I use external boost pedals, mostly because I like having physical pedals and turning physical knobs. Also I haven't been able to fully replicate them in the axe to the point where it sounds as good or better than the external pedal.

I also use a tube poweramp (Fryette 2/50/2) to get the feel right as I wasn't happy with solidstate PA poweramps. To be fair I never did try a Matrix so that may well have done it for me.

I still use my Boss MT2 Metal Zone, as I find the Axe FX just can't replicate the tonal complexity of that pedal...

...just kidding. I use Axe for everything.

Seriously though, the axe fx model does sound quite a bit different than the real thing. It's similar and maybe more exaggerated, but different.

I kinda like a metalzone as a boost sometimes, for those Cannibal Corpse "Kill" tones. It's a one-trick-pony though as it clips hard even with distortion at 0. The EQ also has an excessive amount of range.

3 month after I got my axe-fx ii std I sold all my other gear...except for a few old pedals for sentimental reasons.
Never looked back.
My old gear-pusher is still crying ;)

One thing the Axe FX has definitely replaced for me is the need to tapdance across multiple stomp pedals.

Back
Top Bottom