has the axe replaced everything or not?

I sold all my amps except a Baron B60. That one I had customized and just can’t part with. Ive been able to get close enough in tone though so basically The axe does it all for me.

Will not sell my Marshall JMP-1 and Marshall 100/100 power amp.
I love my Axe more than any piece of other gear....but the all tube Marshall rig just has something special about it that I have not been able to replicate. Even after tone matching just the JMP1 pre and feeding them both into the Marshall 100/100....still not identical.

I've ditched everything except my 73 Champ (it was a gift) and the OD I built ages ago. OD lives in a drawer now but I will pull it out every so often.
I also have a digitech Trio+ that lives on my board for writing and practicing, but it contributes nothing to the tone, that's 100% axe.

I have a polytune and a Blackstone overdrive. The polytune is just handy to have, and the Blackstone is just a great pedal to have around. All you need is a decent clean tone, and you're good to go. That said, I don't often use it live- The axe does everything I need, and much, much more.

I've been full digital for a while now. And that is all AX8 right now. My recording desk is "dis-wired" so my Axe-FX II is sitting lonely in the rack - probably for another week or so because I've been on travel some.

As for outboard gear, the only thing I'm using that's not in the AX8 is synth stuff. I'm going back and forth between the GR-55, SY-300, and several of the EHX 9 series pedals. That's an area that Fractal isn't even attempting right now so outboard gear is the only way to go.

I still buy random pedals from time to time because they still amuse me and the Axe takes pedals well. I still have six tube amps but I literally cannot recall the last time I turned one on.

For live, I’m definitely sticking with the Axe.

However, in my rack I had two reverbs on all the time, one for halls, one for rooms, both true stereo. This cannot be done on the Axe, and the onboard reverbs while quite good, are not as good as my Bricasti M7. This is not surprising given Bricasti’s proprietary approach to verb and the amount of processing power required. I use the two Axe verb blocks dual mono for my hall sound and send signal to the FX out to the M7 for the room sound, then into a line mixer for both stereo pair outs from the Axe. This is much less than ideal. I really wish I could use the AES I/O for a digital loop. I have posted this on the wish list several times. There are phasing issues because of the latency, which requires me to use for the Bricasti full wet, which means no flexibility in mix levels on the M7 when switching presets. It also means a bunch more D/A conversation and having to drag around a 1U line mixer and more cables. I can’t be the only guy using a piece of high-quality outboard gear in this fashion. I see no obvious impediment to changing the firmware to give the option of using the AES I/O as a digital loop. I know clock integration can be an issue, but I had 3 digital processers of different brands connected via AES and it worked flawlessly. It would be a very elegant and efficient solution which would be much appreciated by those of us trying to leave our refrigerators at home..:)

It's replaced 100% of my rig. In fact I've got to get around to selling the last of my pedals (classic Whammy, too)... thanks for the reminder.

Replace? I continue to buy amps, cabs, and pedals. I have recently bought some very nice amps by Morgan and Mesa Boogie and Cabs from Suhr and Tony Bruno, as well as many Strymon, Lovepedal, Vertex and Wampler pedals... The list of pedals just goes on and on, probably 20 in the last 3 months alone...

Yes, for me at least the ax has made me a better player by learning more about how amps,cabs and effects all work together and I practice way more because I can get any sound I want, (at bedroom vol) I play a variety of music from Metallica to SRV I love my AXE.

Back
Top Bottom