Has Fractal fixed this avoidable problem yet??

One other side note - on the II you can back up and store both your presets and your system files in ROM, which does NOT require a battery. It is accessed via the utility menu.

So if your battery went down (which frankly is extremely unlikely at best) you could drop in a new one and be back up totally within a minute. No computer, no memory stick, no shenanigans.

As is typical on HC, that thread went 9+ pages. Sigh.

Yes the onboard ROM backup on the II is extremely useful and solves the problem completely for an emergency reload. I back up to it every time I tune presets, and take bank backups a lot to my PC.

If I had valuable recording presets as in the OP I'd have backed them up over several devices/locations (or made sure the studio was doing it if it was their gear) and did everything I could to avoid Mr. Murphy and his laws. To me, it's always a matter of 'when', not 'if', anything can go down, especially anything storage related. So, while you got unlucky, it's not really the Ultra's fault at all.

I've not been to HC for some time and checked out that thread and kinda wish I didn't heh...the funny thing is they are all going off the 'unreliability' of the Ultra/modellers/digital anything, but one big reason I went looking back at modellers was three catastrophic tube amp failures within six months a few years back (meaning, the tubes shorted and/or parts blew up inside (caps, resistors, etc.). Two of them were at gigs; one at a jam. I like tubes, but they've just become way too unreliable, and random, for me.

The only thing cool about my recent foray to HC was that I noticed Craig Anderton mods a forum there. I loved his tech project stuff in Guitar Player mags...you could go to Radio Shack, get the parts, and play Dr. Distortion heh.

@OP - Common Sense Fixed this user error/issue back in Computer 101, chapter "Backing up data". Same applies to all Digital Gear.
Now Fractal has Idiot Proofed it in the AXE-FX II.

Did you read even the basics of the AXE-FX II before starting this negative and unfairly accusational Thread? Obviously you did not read the manual. (It's free to download here): http://fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual-401.pdf

Read pages 143 - 145 - Chapter 13, "Backing Up and Restoring". Everything here could and SHOULD have been done with that Ultra with the exception of "Chapter 13 Section 2 (13.2) "Onboard ROM Backup and Restore", which is where Fractal ups the ante and IDIOT PROOFED the process here in the AXE-FX II.
This super simple back up utility is yet another of it's long list of improvements.

There never was an issue here, other than a lack of diligence by (1) the Studio, (2) the band (however, in all fairness, the band paid a fee and should have had their customized settings preserved by the studio IMHO. At least the option, as a band should not need to know best practices of the studio's equipment) Fractal is not a party to this incident in any way. They provided a responsible means that should have avoided this issue entirely. They can't force the user to back up there own data. But I bet Fractal backs up their accounting data...

Sorry for your loss. Live and Learn. But please, don't blame others for your crew's mistakes. I probably shouldn't throw any stones your way too hard though, as I have committed the sins of having lost critical data a few times (rare) in my time. But I never blamed others, or the maker of my computer when I did mess up.

Once you have read the above Chapter of the manual, a posting of your apology would go a long way here brother.

PEACE!

Turns out the AxeFX uses a battery backup, and the battery died. The problem is, you void your warranty if you open your case up...to change the battery, you have to open your case up.

Well, the internal battery is almost guaranteed to not need replacing until long after the warranty has expired, so I don't really see a problem here...

Well, the internal battery is almost guaranteed to not need replacing until long after the warranty has expired, so I don't really see a problem here...

It's not true though, you do NOT void your warranty by opening the top; you do NOT void your warranty if you did have to replace the battery. There is no problem except a made up problem so people on forums can get worked up.

It's not true though, you do NOT void your warranty by opening the top; you do NOT void your warranty if you did have to replace the battery. There is no problem except a made up problem so people on forums can get worked up.

Cool...I kinda thought that was that way...

But yea, the amount of disinformation, unsubstantiated 'truths', and illogical leaps of reason on some forums never ceases to amaze...

I like the Smores poptarts, just for the record. I was bummed when they discontinued the Apple-Cinnamon ones. Sigh.

Mhhh... I'm afraid this is technically incorrect: there's no such guaranty; furthermore, a faulty battery has to be considered as a possibility, and cautions must be taken: I'd not rely over a 'perfect' battery like I don't over any piece of software/hardware LOL

Awww....the OP hasn't posted anymore...I was so looking forward to opening a can of clever linguistic whoop-ass on him like we did on Kostas!

Last edited:
I asked this in the HC thread, but it got ignored, so might as well ask it here...sure its the battery?

I replaced the battery in one of my 2120's three years ago...
got the 2120 new in the late 90's..

so.. they last quite a while..

I replaced the battery in one of my 2120's three years ago...
got the 2120 new in the late 90's..

so.. they last quite a while..

Unless you get a bad one. Regardless, it is a simple and cheap fix (only a few dollars, if that). It does not void your warranty (not sure where that even came from). And besides the added feature of the II to backup to flash, the Ultra, Standard, and the II allow you to back up you to back the system parameters (including user cabs) with a MIDI dump.

battery changes are so rare..
reloading is so easy
all this seems to be the stuff of mountains made out of mole-hills to me...

EDIT: as I've actually done this in an FX unit I though I'd enlighten you all to the level of time / effort

procedure:
boil the kettle
open up fx unit and replace battery
power up and reload
make coffee
fx unit is ready

Last edited:
Mhhh... I'm afraid this is technically incorrect: there's no such guaranty; furthermore, a faulty battery has to be considered as a possibility, and cautions must be taken: I'd not rely over a 'perfect' battery like I don't over any piece of software/hardware LOL

Hmmm I said 'almost' guaranteed, which, practically speaking, is pretty much true in my experience, but I agree with you, there is always a possibility of a battery (or anything) failing prematurely...which is why I make frequent, redundant backups of important data stored on any kind of digital device no matter how old/new it is.

Last edited:
Maybe he should have bought a Line6.

Oh no! The Vetta's backup battery was soldered on! And that was a guarantee-voiding procedure to replace!
Anybody want some buttoncell holders that fit it? You had to buy them in packs of ten. I still got 9.

Reactions: jon
no matter what the battery is like, you should backup your unit anyhow...
there's plenty of ways to lose your config ranging from hardware failure, thru software grief, to user mishap...
often.. the time invested setting up a box is more valuable than the box itself..

Maybe he should have bought a Line6.

Oh no! The Vetta's backup battery was soldered on! And that was a guarantee-voiding procedure to replace!
Anybody want some buttoncell holders that fit it? You had to buy them in packs of ten. I still got 9.

I always wonder why we never hear about things like that there :/

Here are the facts:
1. There are two options regarding non-volatile storage: battery-backed RAM or FLASH. EEPROM and FRAM are other options but prohibitively expensive.
2. FLASH is slower and has limited write-endurance. You'll notice that whenever you save presets on a FLASH device there is typically a progress bar as the preset is being saved.
3. SRAM is extremely fast but requires a battery to maintain the memory when AC power is removed.
4. A capacitor is not a substitute for a battery. A so-called "super-capacitor" can be used to retain memory for short periods but is not suitable as a battery substitute.

In the Axe-Fx II you get the best of both: SRAM for speed and endurance with FLASH backup.

Replacing the battery does not void the warranty. This is totally unfounded.

Back
Top Bottom