Has anyone used Mission Gemini 2 with FM3

Hey everybody, this is my second post. Gratitude to those who helped me with my first one!

I'm wondering because the Gemini 2 has one stereo XLR/TRS input for the 2x12s. But it looks like the two XLR's on the FM3 are needed to get the stereo effect. Can you set one of the XLRs to stereo? I looked in I/O section but did not find a way to do this.

Any help will be appreciated!

Jonny

Hey everybody, this is my second post. Gratitude to those who helped me with my first one!

I'm wondering because the Gemini 2 has one stereo XLR/TRS input for the 2x12s. But it looks like the two XLR's on the FM3 are needed to get the stereo effect. Can you set one of the XLRs to stereo? I looked in I/O section but did not find a way to do this.

Any help will be appreciated!

Jonny
The Gemini 2 manual has your answer:

If your input device outputs left and right signals on separate jacks, you will need a TRS insert cable to connect the two output jacks to the single TRS input jack on the GM-2.

The FM3 outputs separate right and left signals only.

You can only access the stereo mode of the Gemini II by using the TRS quarter inch jack. I confirmed this with mission. You need to combine your left and right outputs from the FM3 to a single TRS Jack. Tip is left, ring is right, sleeve is ground.
I found it best to create my own humbuster cables running from output 2 of the FM3 to the Gemini II.
I got a little creative with it. I soldered my own connections, and used a Neutrik right angle TRS plug to go into the input of the amp. I drilled a small hole in the metal plate above the jack and ran the cable through it inside the box up to the removable panel and wired 2 XLR jacks as pictured. This way my humbuster cables terminate as XLR‘s locking into the back of the amp. It is solid as hell and sounds amazing! I hope this all makes sense. If not, feel free to DM me22039A2A-6CB6-4BDB-9583-BE12D24E7B31.jpeg

For what it’s worth, here is a screenshot of my correspondence from Mission concerning the stereo input.
499BA862-9F2B-4D7B-89C1-C07BA3818B80.jpeg

I have a G2 and tried out a Friedman ASC-12 which is a 1x12 500W at the same time. The G2 is way, way louder - I was VERY surprised. If I had 2 ASC-12's would they be as loud as the G2 - hard to say but it wouldn't surprise me if the G2 was louder.

Wattage rating can be manipulated, the speakers sensitivity plays a big role in how loud it is, etc etc etc. You have to play through them - just going by wattage isn't always apples to apples.

For what it's worth...I went all out and bought the Gemini II (2X12) so it is stereo capable. I originally was using a Carvin power amp stereo to a EVH 2X12 and a Carvin 2X12...good but not getting true cabinet sounds. My only draw back (and I don't play onstage) is that the volume for the Gemini is in the back. I know you can put a volume pedal on the FM3 BUT I like running it at 3 o'clock or wide open and controlling actual volume at the Gemini. Not sure if I can put a volume pedal between FM3 and Gemini. Sometimes over 90 dB is just not marriage friendly in the house! Imagine!?!

For what it's worth...I went all out and bought the Gemini II (2X12) so it is stereo capable. I originally was using a Carvin power amp stereo to a EVH 2X12 and a Carvin 2X12...good but not getting true cabinet sounds. My only draw back (and I don't play onstage) is that the volume for the Gemini is in the back. I know you can put a volume pedal on the FM3 BUT I like running it at 3 o'clock or wide open and controlling actual volume at the Gemini. Not sure if I can put a volume pedal between FM3 and Gemini. Sometimes over 90 dB is just not marriage friendly in the house! Imagine!?!
Try the output knob on the FM3.

Try the output knob on the FM3.
That's what I've been doing but Austin Buddy's deal I purchased said it likes the levels up to get full effect. I just want to control Gemini volume kind of like a Master Volume without getting in behind it.

I’m curious about what model Carvin power amp you have? Have a great evening. 🎸

That's what I've been doing but Austin Buddy's deal I purchased said it likes the levels up to get full effect. I just want to control Gemini volume kind of like a Master Volume without getting in behind it.
Just turn it down until you have peace in your house. In sure @austinbuddy will forgive a tweak made out of necessity. ;)

I’m curious about what model Carvin power amp you have? Have a great evening. 🎸
I had an old TS100 that was tube and then I had the Mach 100 pedal that was 50w/50w stereo. Both worked well I just decided to unload a ton of effects, cabs, etc and go Fractal. Only Amps I have now are an actual 65 deluxe reverb and a Lab Series L7.

Back
Top Bottom