Has anyone tried the new Mastermind GT 22 controller?

Radley

Experienced
Has anyone tried the new Mastermind GT 22 controller? I love the number of IA switches that can be made available ~ any downsides?

Hi Radley. Well, I haven't tried the 22-button version, but I own the MMGT 16, which is the same only in a smaller version, and all I have to say is "wow"! RJM products are incredible pieces of gear and the MMGT is their flagship that will not disappoint. Before purchasing, I was looking at other controllers, but being that I already owned RJM's Rack Gizmo, I was confident in their build quality and most importantly, their impeccable customer service. Ron, Sherri and the RJM team are some of the best people you'll ever have the pleasure of working with if you need any sort of customer support.

Be mindful though... I was always used to owning controllers with many switches and was tempted to go with the 22-button for that reason, but instead chose the 16 for the smaller footprint and believe me, with the MMGT's ability to program switches to any given control and the option to designate "pages" that can switched with one tap of your foot, I am FAR from ever even being able to maximize the use of the 16. I thought I'd be using lots of pages and in reality, I'm only using 1-2 at this point in time. This is complimented by the AxeFX's use of "scenes" which help to minimize the workload of the controller as well.

I know there are some cheaper controllers out there that still offer the LCD screens and such, but I can't comment on their long-term support and roadworthiness, but I can say with confidence that if you choose the MMGT 10, 16 or 22, it will be the last controller you may ever have to buy. Feel free to contact directly if you have any specific questions regarding use and programming with the AFX. I'll be happy to share any info I know.

Yes the MM GT is an extreme cool piece of gear.
And support is stellar.

Downsides? Price. And you have to be familiar with MIDI / foot controllers, if you want to put the advanced features to good use.

Last edited:
Yes the MM GT is an extreme cool piece of gear.
And support is stellar.

Downsides? Price. And you have to be familiar with MIDI / foot controllers, if you want to put the advanced features to good use.

Yek ~ Do you feel the GT 22 is overkill with the AFXII? I don't mind shelling out the extra bucks if it makes doing concerts with Neil substantially easier (33 songs per night).

Jeff B ~ Thanks for your helpful input!

I also have the RJM MMGT22 since June 2013 when it first came out. Amazing controller, built like a tank and like Yek said, Ron, Sherri and the support team are top notch. I'm in 4 different projects and it really helps with all the Presets I have to program.

Last edited:
I'm seeing more and more of them on stage with touring acts. NIN was using them on the tour before this current one -- and they beat the shit out of their gear. Says much about their build quality IMO.

i own the gt 16, although a little expensive, it does everything and more and stable, rock solid and highly programmable, and most of all it looks great

Back
Top Bottom