Has anyone tried connecting via snake?

NickSwampMKE

Inspired
Hey guys,

Has anyone connected their FC via snake?

Just wondering if this will work well enough(aka flawlessly)/ trying to get an idea of acceptable distances.

I play the same stage every night, but the big connection box for FOH (for lack of a better term) is on the opposite side of the stage.

I'm curious! Let me know your experience or thoughts on this!

Thanks!

I had a small snake made up about 8m long, it has connections for my FC12, tuner input and a power con connector for powering my tuner and led's on my board. All connected to a small patch panel on my Temple audio board. Works great.

If you are worried about cable length's then I remember a post a while back Cliff mentioned that they have tested Faslink II over 100 metres and as long as the connectors are heavy enough and the voltage doesn't drop too much it shouldn't be a problem.

I hope that helps.

The FC-12 uses more power because it has more LCDs. If the cable resistance is too high than there will be excessive voltage drop which could cause booting issues and other problems.

Using a cable snake is not recommended because the conductor gauge is small and the resistance will be high. We recommend a good quality dedicated XLR cable.

Thanks guys! Cliff actually replied to me on Facebook and basically said the same things.

I'll have to give it a shot and see how it goes!

Just thought of this additional question... has anyone tried connecting a second FC via snake? The second device will need power, therefore the question would now be, are the wires in a snake going to be sufficient to provide reliable communications for the second device (thinking of a mirror at the sound desk)

Back
Top Bottom