Has anyone seen Dolly Parton: Here I Am?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
It's on Netflix. I'm not a huge huge fan, but you've got to respect what she's done, and that she's still active.

Has anyone watched it?

I just finished watching it maybe a hour or two ago. A lot of respect for her. There are a few songs of hers that I like, Jolene is probably my favorite.

I just finished watching it maybe a hour or two ago. A lot of respect for her. There are a few songs of hers that I like, Jolene is probably my favorite.
If you haven't already, check out Mindy Smith's cover of Jolene. She was one of Dolly's backup singers, and she got Dolly to sing backup for her when she recorded her own version of the song. I like it better than the original.

@TG3K and @xarkon thanks for recommending and sharing. One of the things that I think is so great about music is you can have different people do the same song, sometimes the same band but switch out one member, and the song can sound different or have a different feel. The Mindy Smith version seemed more haunting to me.

The thing with Dolly is I usually come to her music through someone else. Whitney Houston did "I Will Always Love You" and I thought that was her song only to find out it was Dolly's. I think on some other show, maybe The Voice, someone did Jolene and I was like who's song is that? Dolly again.

If you haven't already, check out Mindy Smith's cover of Jolene. She was one of Dolly's backup singers, and she got Dolly to sing backup for her when she recorded her own version of the song. I like it better than the original.
I never knew this existed. Thanks for this.

Whoever did the guitar work did an outstanding job. The tones and approach are outstanding.

Dolly Parton is such an underrated artist, probably because of her looks, but she has good songs and one of the best singing voices in the business. And seems like a very nice person.

There's also a Miley Cyrus take on the song, sung quite well IMO (though I'm not a fan of hers in general), albeit without the subtlety and emotion of Mindy's version.

I had the same idea with Whitney Houston's cover of I will always love you. Very well sung, but totally lacking the emotion of the original, which was a heartfelt goodbye to the guy who mentored her and gave her a chance to become famous via his show.

I've been a Dolly fan since the night in about 1990 when I saw her show up in a rock club in San Diego and sit in with the band. The guys were just a local band, but apparently one or more of them knew Dolly. They huddled for a minute on stage to decide what to play, then the Dolly pulled off an awesome rendition of Great Balls of Fire.

My wife just said 'how electronic is that!' Sorry - we are not fans of autotune.
Thanks though!
Pauly

You made me grab my headphones and listen again. I’m not hearing an auto-tune effect on the vocals. She’s doing something on “ma-a-a-n” in the chorus but I think it’s all her. Am I losing it? 🤪

I lIke where the mandolin sits in the mix.

Don't worry about us Andy - We lost it years ago! :)
I've always been very sensitive to Autotune.

Thanks
Pauly

You made me grab my headphones and listen again. I’m not hearing an auto-tune effect on the vocals. She’s doing something on “ma-a-a-n” in the chorus but I think it’s all her. Am I losing it? 🤪

I lIke where the mandolin sits in the mix.

Dolly's cool. You don't last like that without substance.

On the Jolene tune, Matraca Berg did a great version back in 1990. Another great singer and songwriter taking a great Dolly tune for a spin.

Back
Top Bottom