Has anyone replaced their speakers from their NL212 with something else?

Georgy

Inspired
Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my NL212, but it lacks that low-to-mid-punch.. The low-end is good, as you'd expect from a ported cab, and the top end is good too, but it's that mid section that it lacks.. It's being driven my Axe-ii and Matrix GT1500, but it still lacks a bit in the mids.

So I thought about replacing the neodymium speakers that are in it with something else.. Was wondering if anyone has changed their speakers in their NL212, and if so, what did you go with? How did it sound after? I get concerned by the fact that it's a ported cab; so by putting in any speaker could really alter the sound bigtime.. Input/opinions/guidance are always welcomed :encouragement:

Thanks guys.

In nutshell, yes the cab is tuned to the speakers. Changing the speakers will most probably require a change in tuning point if you want to keep a relatively flat response at the bottom end.

We've not had other comments about a lack of mid, maybe the extended bass response is allowing more bottom end from you patches to reveal itself making the mid sound less prominent ??

I'd start by turning down the bass a little and cranking the amp a bit more ... remember, a "lack of mid" is exactly the same as "too much bass and treble" , its all relative. the cab does have an extended low and high frequency response, so if you patches were set up on a "standard" cab and have had extra LF and HF wound into them to compensate for the standard cab's response, that would explain it. The cab is quite capable of delivering the full range of tones you would expect from a standard cab and more, you just need to tweak the response I think to get the sounds you are looking for.

If you are not getting the sounds you want, I would start with making adjustments to the global EQ, drop an email to our support desk if you want any hints and tips, John has a wealth of experience and will do his best to assist.

It is of course your cab, and you can do what you want with it, but do bear in mind it was not designed to accommodate heavy ferrite speakers.

Back
Top Bottom