Has anyone ever counted updates?

Dramelot

Power User
I got a Mackie DL1608. Was at the forum looking for updates. Very Slow adding features promised from get go...
so I got to wondering how many versions and beta's Cliff has released from the standard on up?
And IIRC most all updates have been huge in content!

Yes I could research it,, but someone has to know off the top?

Last edited:
I don't know. We know it is a LOT. Maybe 30x for AF2 so far? More than than for AF1 I am sure.

I've owned a lot of gear from a lot of the big makers. With most other companies, you have to wait months or years just for bug fixes. Sometimes they never happen. Other companies add features and charge for them. One of the reasons I love Cliff and company is that he rapidly squashes bugs and evolves the products with new firmware... for free. All we have to do is sit back and wait a bit (or whine about it).

The numbering has decimal points. Version 1.0, 1.1 etc. Not allof the updates go to .9 or even much past .6, but it should be too hard to figure out. I'd rather concern myself with other things like learning how to play stuff on the guitar.

Thanks Q,

As my OP stated, was wanting to compare a larger co like Mackie's slower support to Cliff.
And Henry why bother with my post if your so above it all,, geeze
What a prude, you sure take time to be a SA
This is the lounge anyway isnt it?

Last edited:
By my count I've loaded up some 83 different versions of the Axe-II firmware since May of 2011.
That DOES includes Beta and Release Candidate (RC) builds never released to the public.
That number does not include the Beta/RC testing I did on the Ultra also.

Scott/Sean and others probably have a much higher count than me :)

In comparison I've seen one 1 firmware upgrade for a Roland product I own, and only 2 for a particular L6 amp model.

I keep a print out of all the release notes for every update for the II (I did the same with the Standard when I had it). Since the initial production release, there have been 29 updates (30 if you count the 9.0 beta):

- Initial production release 1.01
- 2.00a
- 2.00b
- 2.00c
- 5.04b
- 9.00 Beta/9.00 (pending............."soon" ;))

I no longer have a print out of all the updates for the Standard (it went with my unit when I sold it), so I can't give you a number on those.

Last edited:
Fractal actually comes out with updates before I have digested the previous update! And does that quite regularly. It is shockingly (in a very positive way) apparent how driven they are to develop their product, and how into it they are as musicians, as well.

I still use Mackie, but not nearly as much as long ago. After several mixer quality issues, some very hard to get to service locations, and a propensity for simply putting out new mixers instead of improving the ones I had, the mixer business has gone to Presonus. I do still use several of their smaller mixers, and a bunch of the large powered speakers. They can't hold a light to FAS for service or updates, though.

Back
Top Bottom