Has anyone emulated Brian May’s Foxx Foot Phaser?

Rexgtr

Experienced
Title says it all.
I never tried the original 1972 Foxx Foot Phaser so I’m not sure what the two side controls did or what the extra foot switch controlled?
Basic concept is “I think” foot controlling the phase shifters depth allowing you to add more swoosh then dialing it back.

Quite simply we could assign a controller to depth of a phase shifter and viola, sort of but does anyone own one of these rare pedals?
If you can find one they sell for $700 and up.

M.eff.foxx.foot.phaser1.jpg

Kind of a rare bird. From what I've found, it's a FET and opamp based 4 stage phaser somewhat similar to a Phase 90. Haven't seen a schematic for one though. Like a crybaby, there's a switch under the treadle that turns the effect on and off. The second switch sticking out of the toe end selects between auto and manual modes. In auto mode, the treadle controls the sweep speed like the foot controller of a UniVibe (toe down is fast, heel down is slow). On the side, the front knob selects between 4 different sweep speed ranges for the treadle (rotary switch) and the back knob sets the phaser depth. In manual mode, the treadle controls the actual sweep position of the phaser sort of like a wah pedal.

In the Axe II, you can set depth to zero and assign a pedal controller to the FREQ parameter to manually control the sweep like the manual mode of the Foxx.

Assign a pedal to the rate parameter instead and use the modifier min and max to control the speed range to simulate the auto mode.

Back
Top Bottom