Has Anyone else Noticed this

npdcoremetal

Inspired
The axe fx products not just the axe 2 but the ultra too they have a rediculous amount of 500 k boost while goin through a power amp and cab. It almost kills the sound of it. Anyone else have this issue

If you mean 500 Hz, then no, I have not noticed that, nor have I measured it. The frequency response is ruler flat.

Reactions: jon
I thought the same thing when I first tried the axe and I was using an amp/cab.
It Improved a lot when I disabled cab sims. Then I moved to frfr and its perfect to my ears. Couldn't be flatter IMHO!!

not an issue with the amp operator and or cab. There is like a ton of extra mid range on the amp sims that normal amps do not have I can hear it way more on this peavey 5150 with sheffields and I have the power amp sims off and most deff cab sims off. Not that its a bad thing at all just wondered about it. I can say after using fractal stuff for past few years and then playing through my engl powerball yesterday that thing sounded like poop to me, LOL. The only other thing I have had a difficult time recreating is the sound of a maxon 808 into a head and like the presence or treble freq are different to me like they get fizzy on the axe but on the heads they are nice and sharp not much fizz. I have however noticed with the bright switch engaged in a live mix it sounds really good but sounds shrill to me by myself. The reason I bring any of this up is because I came to the realization that Being in a new signed band touring with other well known huge artist that I am more than likely goin to be stuck using backline amp n cab. Obviously I will run my axe II into what ever amp n cab combo and completley destroy with tone with few tweaks. I may get lucky and only have to use their cabs. I would preferably go FRFR and FOH, but as of now I do not know if this will be possible as an opening act with 40 min set. I have talked to some guys that are using fractal stuff that are much more well known now, but they had told me they were stuck with backline usually and they got some power amps to eliminate some variables. One particular act liked the cab and power amp combo and almost settled , but then decided to try a Mackie Hd 1221 and that is the route they are using. Agian I do not know if this will be possible for me to do with FRFR. Really I just want sum that transelates well to Foh from what I tweak on the axe-II. I will say that to my crappy ears that v5 sounds sick. I have copied a lot of my favorite tones. The only one I can not seem to get using FRFR or cab n power amp is the tone on the new All Shall Perish Record. I know they reamped with peavey 5150 maxon 808 and a mesa with V30s It is some of the best tone for metal I have ever heard. I also see they are using Fractals live now. I found that to be cool. The only way I can explian the tone I am after which I have only achived once or twice before the axe and usually with lots of crap goin on. The tone sounds like a bad arse desiel motor when you open notes. I had this tone on the ultra and recorded the album with it but I lost my banks and never could duplicate. Sorry for the mess post thanks for the responces.

To my ears, every amp mic'ed with usual live mics (SM57, E606...) loses a lot of mids. So when you are going from FRFR to amp + cab you are giving them back.

OTOH if you are using an amp head's poweramp it will bel clearly not flat.

I'd suggest turning the power amp sims back on leaving the cab sims off. I run my Axe-Fx II with an old Mosvalve 500 into a 4X12 Ampeg cab loaded with G12T-75's. I have never noticed a big hump in the 500 Hz range. 5.1 is so good I keep checking the back of my rig for tubes. It's amazing!

Make yourself a speaker lead with an inline socket at one end. If your using provided back line on support gigs and it's a combo you can use that lead to access the internal speaker and use your power amp.

To be honest you should be able to hook the axe fx into a speaker can faster than it takes for the drummer to get comfortable! Just avoid the stern faces from the sound desk.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.594913,-1.771846

Reactions: yek
Yeah I do not know exactly how it is going to play out and I only notice it through a power amp like my atomic 50/50 and carvin ts-100. I only got the atomic to check it out and the carvin was such a good price I couldnt pass it up so i got it. I prefer frfr, but have had very bad experiences with expensive ones Qsc k12 not for me jbl not for me etc. The only one I heard and played myself and sounded half decent was a mackie hd 1521 but I would prefer the smaller hd1221. I have however contimplated getting a good monitor to dial my stuff in and just having in ear and goin direct. Not my prefered method, but I eliminate lots of variables this was. On the other hand being that I am a new band and It is death metal you do lots of small club gigs with questionable sound. I have attended many shows with same type of music guys running fractal and they use cabs on those gigs and run direct. The reason they do this is in case they show up and all they have for sound is enough for kick drum and vocals they will be able to make up for club x's so called sound. So there is my delima. I plan on bringing a cab with and would like to bring frfr too, but have not found one that I think transelates well to me and the patches do not sound right to foh with what I have used. I have been eye balling them alto Coax monitors one cause they are cheap and multiuso. If they did not work out I would just finish my practice PA with them. I like the RCF, BUT REALLY 1,700usd Too Much in my opinoin to take a risk on it. Now then if atomics where out I would take the chance one because What I have bought so far was prestine and two they hold their value and three I rarely see them being resold. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. KEEP IN MIND PLEASE that I am a Death Metal guitarist for this particular band and we use lots of treble lots of presence and of course good amount of mids. The reason I point this out is cause too much treb and pres is sibilant and fizzy not enough its lifeless. Thanks for all you suggestions

enter_key.jpg

Works in any type of metal, or music!

;-p

Last edited:
npd - let me get this straight.. you say there's a huge 500k range boost while going thru a amp/cab with the Axe-II ?
You also stated that "I have the power amp sims off and most deff cab sims off"...
You also stated that "
not an issue with the amp operator and or cab"! Sure about that ???

What ARE you running in your presets?? You HAVE to have something causing the spike.. like a PEQ or FILTER block or some EQ added somewhere... or.... thought I would point out that the amps you stated you are using (
atomic 50/50 and carvin ts-100) when you notice this ARE BOTH tube amps. Tube amps inherently induce some form of color (albeit minor) to the end result. This coloration may be enhanced by the speaker cab in use.

Last edited:
Why not just use the global eq to correct it?

Or just add a PEQ/GEQ block to your presets?

Back
Top Bottom