Has anyone done Tone Matching with a real amp yet?

I haven't yet. I thought about doing it with my 1watt Blackstar, just to see how it sounds.

Guaranteed the TM process is going to sound even better with a real amp due to a more pure signal.

I've been working on doing it through a dummy load box on a Hughes and Kettner Triamp MkII ALSE head. It takes the microphone set up and cab out of the equation, so I could potentially use it with other cab IR's. That makes the most sense for a head. I have also been using the same guitar on the same settings for each sample which should minimize its influence on the result.

Obviously, the most important thing that I have found thus far is that you can match the tone(i.e. the EQ) of the amp, but you can't match it's underlying character and feel. When the chosen amp model is close, you get something that is very close to the original. When it's not, you get something that's matched in eq, but sounds different. So, there is some homework that is required to get them really close, like understanding the architecture of the amp you're matching and the model that you are using.

On the Triamp, I've matched the three channels out of six thus far. Two were fairly easy, because they had medium gain circuits similar to the Shiva. Tone matching the other which was one of the clean channels was a bear, because it was essentially a modernized '59 Bassman circuit on top of an EL-34 power section. There was some experimentation with model choice and advanced parameter tweaking that was required.

Last edited:
As I stated in another thread, it is not close enough for me. I must be an anomaly.
I can see it allowing an Axe recording to sit well in a mix, but for me, I still prefer real amps, hands down.

As I stated in another thread, it is not close enough for me. I must be an anomaly.
I can see it allowing an Axe recording to sit well in a mix, but for me, I still prefer real amps, hands down.
I don't think you are. Tone matching is still like putting a lion's coat on a donkey. It may look like a lion from some angles, but it still acts like a donkey. It's not that being a donkey is necessarily a bad thing. Having a donkey may be more useful in some applications than having a lion around.

I don't think you are. Tone matching is still like putting a lion's coat on a donkey. It may look like a lion from some angles, but it still acts like a donkey. It's not that being a donkey is necessarily a bad thing. Having a donkey may be more useful in some applications than having a lion around.

It could also be putting a donkey tail and ears on a lion. All in the application. : )

I've been working on doing it through a dummy load box on a Hughes and Kettner Triamp MkII ALSE head. It takes the microphone set up and cab out of the equation, so I could potentially use it with other cab IR's. That makes the most sense for a head. I have also been using the same guitar on the same settings for each sample which should minimize its influence on the result.

Obviously, the most important thing that I have found thus far is that you can match the tone(i.e. the EQ) of the amp, but you can't match it's underlying character and feel. When the chosen amp model is close, you get something that is very close to the original. When it's not, you get something that's matched in eq, but sounds different. So, there is some homework that is required to get them really close, like understanding the architecture of the amp you're matching and the model that you are using.

On the Triamp, I've matched the three channels out of six thus far. Two were fairly easy, because they had medium gain circuits similar to the Shiva. Tone matching the other which was one of the clean channels was a bear, because it was essentially a modernized '59 Bassman circuit on top of an EL-34 power section. There was some experimentation with model choice and advanced parameter tweaking that was required.

Hey DF, keep me posted if you would- I have an ALSE Triamp MkII also, but am not getting my Axe 2 until tomorrow, so you've got a hell of a head start on me.

It could also be putting a donkey tail and ears on a lion. All in the application. : )
It's a powerful EQ.
I though that the Axe2 was more balanced than the Ultra. It is but not as well balanced than the real deal.
The TMA help to correct this.
It works fine with my XTC module.

When I have some time I have a couple of my amps I want to TM. I have a Mesa/Boogie Quad, an actual '65 Deluxe Reverb I have a Paul Rivera tech guy rework, but mainly I have the little non Seymour Duncan Convertible. This amp has so many characteristics. I don't what I'd use to match it though. There are some tones that remind me of a Dumble smooth distortion.

So I have a bunch of mics and mic pres so it could be fun. So I'd really be TMing my own sound. Cool.

I love the reference to The Last Battle! :)

Back
Top Bottom