Has anyone built this cabinet for the Celestion F12-X200 speaker?

You’ll probably like it in the thiele cab. I mounted mine in an open back while building a ported cab. Had to shove a set cushion in the back but it sounded great.
That's good to hear. Mine just got here and I am putting them in an open back cab as we speak. If I don't get what I'm looking for at first, I will try the cushion.

Thank you for that bit of info.

Mike

I altered the design, same volume cab, slant back baffle, amp hanging underneath. I'm happy with it, but have to say the F12 sounded just as good in the open back 112. Thinking about a wedge, but might just put the other speaker in the 112 and call it good.

IMG_9079.JPG

I altered the design, same volume cab, slant back baffle, amp hanging underneath. I'm happy with it, but have to say the F12 sounded just as good in the open back 112. Thinking about a wedge, but might just put the other speaker in the 112 and call it good.

View attachment 101242

That is super cool. Did you use particleboard? Kind of looks like it on the baffle but not sure about the outside. They are just going to stay in my room and don't have to be tour grade. MDF or particleboard might save me a big chunk of cash. I used to make some cabinets out of a thinner veneer of 1/2" plywood over a MDF core. Heavy but nice and dead.

Used birch ply. The finish is just cabinet paint. MDF and particle board cost less but I don’t like working with it. Pretty sure you can get 2 spec cabs out of one 5 X 5’ sheet.

From parts express. Duratex. There’s a ‘leather look’ method that works pretty good that is described on the Duratex website. You basically put on a 1st coat. Then the 2nd coat, in which you slather on the paint and dab on it with thin plastic bags. Gives it a cool krinkled look. It was super easy to do. 1 quart should cover 2 spec cabs. Not cheap but it does a good job.

Used birch ply. The finish is just cabinet paint. MDF and particle board cost less but I don’t like working with it. Pretty sure you can get 2 spec cabs out of one 5 X 5’ sheet.
I was looking at cutting diagram layouts yesterday and couldn't see a way to get 2 cabs out of a 5x5. It worked out nicely on 4x8 sheets (my local supplier has sheets 1/2" oversized). The layout allows the panel to be halved along either axis for transport from the yard, if they offer cutting service, and still yield the components with allowance for saw kerf. The 4x8 sheet of 18mm Baltic Birch runs about $180 locally.

That is super cool. Did you use particleboard? Kind of looks like it on the baffle but not sure about the outside. They are just going to stay in my room and don't have to be tour grade. MDF or particleboard might save me a big chunk of cash. I used to make some cabinets out of a thinner veneer of 1/2" plywood over a MDF core. Heavy but nice and dead.
This stuff works fine.
$75 sheet
I used it for a few panels in my build cuz I didn't have enough of the expensive stuff.
I wouldn't use MDF

Last edited:
I was looking at cutting diagram layouts yesterday and couldn't see a way to get 2 cabs out of a 5x5. It worked out nicely on 4x8 sheets (my local supplier has sheets 1/2" oversized). The layout allows the panel to be halved along either axis for transport from the yard, if they offer cutting service, and still yield the components with allowance for saw kerf. The 4x8 sheet of 18mm Baltic Birch runs about $180 locally.

My bad. Thought you could get both out of a sheet. I ended up with the modified design so never found out.

I think an important nuance to the "wonder how they would sound in x,y,or z cabinets?" question is: "wonder if they will translate well accross a wide range of FR based presets in cabinet x, y, or z?" If they sound great (correct) only with a narrower tonal range of presets, then they are just another guitar cab / not a true FR cab. It's this concern that keeps me thinking I'd need to stay close to the recommended celestion cab design if I go ahead with building a pair, or, if I'd stray from that, how do I know how far "off plan" I can go before I'm compromizimg the FR characteristic even though I may still have a "great"/correct specific tone.

You can download a free program called WinISD, input the t/s parameters of the speaker (celestion disclose these for the F12X200), input the internal volume and port dimensions of your cab, and it will plot out the low frequency response, and you can see just how flat (or not) it is.

It’s also a good tool for tuning a ported cab since you can make adjustments to the port size/length (a lot easier than changing internal volume of an existing cab) to tune the response.

You can download a free program called WinISD, input the t/s parameters of the speaker (celestion disclose these for the F12X200), input the internal volume and port dimensions of your cab, and it will plot out the low frequency response, and you can see just how flat (or not) it is.

It’s also a good tool for tuning a ported cab since you can make adjustments to the port size/length (a lot easier than changing internal volume of an existing cab) to tune the response.
Awesome - thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom