Has anyone built this cabinet for the Celestion F12-X200 speaker?

Doh! Originally saw this post on my phone in the middle of the night, and totally missed the link to that kit, thought you were just asking about cabs for that speaker. Carry on.

I have parts on order, due in a day or so, and I'm off for a very expensive sheet of 5'x'5 Baltic Birch cabinet grade ply that should yield 2 cabs. To tide me over until the cabs are finished, I'm going to mount the Cele and plate amp in a cloned Mesa Thiele-ported 1x12 cab I built years ago, and see what happens.

I have parts on order, due in a day or so, and I'm off for a very expensive sheet of 5'x'5 Baltic Birch cabinet grade ply that should yield 2 cabs. To tide me over until the cabs are finished, I'm going to mount the Cele and plate amp in a cloned Mesa Thiele-ported 1x12 cab I built years ago, and see what happens.

You’ll probably like it in the thiele cab. I mounted mine in an open back while building a ported cab. Had to shove a set cushion in the back but it sounded great.

I tried a pair in a 2x12 synergy cab that I have, didn't quite work out. Then I tried mounting them in a bogner 1x12 (cube) and a Friedman 1x12, and that sounds great.

I also tried out different power amps and the fryette power station always sounded (and felt) best. I tried out the SD powerstage and the power section of a bjf s66 too - workable, but not as good.

Now what I'm wondering is how much the LX II and power station have in common. It would be nice to get that sound in stereo. (Just wished they all weighed as little as the powerstage).

I still wonder how they would sound in those cheap $100 eBay cabs. They are obviously smaller than the spec cabsView attachment 101138
The first cab I had one in was a Peavey Vypyr extension cab. It looked and felt cheap. Then it went into a mojotone built slanted 212. VERY SOLID build. Now they're going in a 1/3 open back Monoprice cab. Basically the exact same as those Harley Benton 112s. Back to cheap! I'll know tomorrow how they fare :rolleyes::oops::D

I think an important nuance to the "wonder how they would sound in x,y,or z cabinets?" question is: "wonder if they will translate well accross a wide range of FR based presets in cabinet x, y, or z?" If they sound great (correct) only with a narrower tonal range of presets, then they are just another guitar cab / not a true FR cab. It's this concern that keeps me thinking I'd need to stay close to the recommended celestion cab design if I go ahead with building a pair, or, if I'd stray from that, how do I know how far "off plan" I can go before I'm compromizimg the FR characteristic even though I may still have a "great"/correct specific tone.

I think an important nuance to the "wonder how they would sound in x,y,or z cabinets?" question is: "wonder if they will translate well accross a wide range of FR based presets in cabinet x, y, or z?" If they sound great (correct) only with a narrower tonal range of presets, then they are just another guitar cab / not a true FR cab. It's this concern that keeps me thinking I'd need to stay close to the recommended celestion cab design if I go ahead with building a pair, or, if I'd stray from that, how do I know how far "off plan" I can go before I'm compromizimg the FR characteristic even though I may still have a "great" specific tone.

I don’t understand speaker cab design enough to answer your question. When I was running it open backed with a cushion stuffed behind the speaker it sounded great. I play in my living room with vaulted ceilings, so sound is bouncing all over the place. The ported cab focused the speaker output and it sounds more like an FRFR. But not in the same way as my Headrush 112. It sounds a lot better than the HR and it is ‘cab’ like without a doubt even though it’s a coaxial speaker. You just need to buy one and see for yourself. It seems most people going this route are happy with the results. I am. Best tones yet out of my Fractal setup.

Thank you @Dave Merrill !
I did some research, but I only found this post and no answer...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/celestion-f12-x200-speaker.157693/page-4#post-2123793

I've seen that many people have built a cabinet for this celestion speaker, but no one seems to know about this kit. I would be interested in having information on the quality of the parts.

Anyway thanks for the answer, let's see if anyone comments.

No idea about the kit. If you’re not geared up to cut all the parts and drill the holes then it might be worth it. A sheet of birch 5’ square cost $85 USD. Everything else was fairly cheap. I already had all the tools so didn’t need to buy anything. It would be a convenience thing. A lot of work goes into building these things, more than you would think. With the kit it appears you would just need a drill driver and a sander. Hopefully someone will chime in that has tried the kit. Best luck man.

I don’t understand speaker cab design enough to answer your question. When I was running it open backed with a cushion stuffed behind the speaker it sounded great. I play in my living room with vaulted ceilings, so sound is bouncing all over the place. The ported cab focused the speaker output and it sounds more like an FRFR. But not in the same way as my Headrush 112. It sounds a lot better than the HR and it is ‘cab’ like without a doubt even though it’s a coaxial speaker. You just need to buy one and see for yourself. It seems most people going this route are happy with the results. I am. Best tones yet out of my Fractal setup.
wasn't expecting an answer - just an ongoing question on my own radar wrt to my X200 build plans that I never seem to get around to lol!. But my point is that I see lots of terms like "sounds great", "happy with the tones"... which are not very precise / scientific for specific evaluation - an FR cab only measures up if it tests positive on a number of presets accross a wide range. I dial in all my presets on my studio monitors - a good Fr cab should be able to run all of those well either unchanged, or with at most 1 comsistent eq adjustment to align the Fr cab to all those presets - if I'm eq'ing the FR cab by / per preset, I don't really have an FR cab. Also, I don't want to have to build a cab with a ramdom or approximated design to see if, by chance, it will work well in an FR context with the X200 - I mean, how many expensive duds might I build before happening on one that works?. To me it only makes sense to keep a close eye on celestion's recommended spec if it is correct for true Fr (and there's no reason to think it isn't) - there seems to be some design wiggle room but it's not likely unlimited.

Last edited:
wasn't expecting an answer - just an ongoing question on my own radar wrt to my X200 build plans that I never seem to get around to lol!. But my point is that I see lots of terms like "sounds great", "happy with the tones"... which are not very precise / scientific for specific evaluation - an FR cab only measures up if is tests positive on a number of presets accross a wide range. I dial in all my presets on my studio monitors - a good Fr cab should be able to run all of those well either unchanged, or with at most 1 comsistent eq adjustment to align the Fr cab to all those presets - if I'm eq'ing the FR cab by preset, I don't really have an FR cab. Also, I don't want to have to build a cab with a randomish design to see if, by chance, it will work well in an FR context with the X200 - I mean, how many expensive duds might I build before happening on one that works?. To me it only makes sense to keep a close eye on celestion's recommended spec if it is correct for true Fr (and there's no reason to think it isn't) - there seems to be some design wiggle room but it's not likely unlimited.
I thought the same thing. So I stuck to their plans. I'm sure celestion measured the frequency response when developing and releasing this design. I mean who would know better than the R&D guys at celestion? Right?

I thought the same thing. So I stuck to their plans. I'm sure celestion measured the frequency response when developing and releasing this design. I mean who would know better than the R&D guys at celestion? Right?

That's not very nice of you to do that when we live in an age where those who didn't
graduate High School somehow know more than anyone and everyone else about
anything and everything under the Sun.

Besides, everyone knows that Celestion is just a front for the Bilderberger group, and
if you use that cab design as intended it will open a portal where you will suddenly
find yourself at Bohemian Grove having butt sex with a member of the Rockefeller
family.

Don't say I didn't warn you. :)

That's not very nice of you to do that when we live in an age where those who didn't
graduate High School somehow know more than anyone and everyone else about
anything and everything under the Sun.

Besides, everyone knows that Celestion is just a front for the Bilderberger group, and
if you use that cab design as intended it will open a portal where you will suddenly
find yourself at Bohemian Grove having butt sex with a member of the Rockefeller
family.

Don't say I didn't warn you. :)
I bet the Rockefellers pay good tho

Back
Top Bottom