Has anyone been shocked when going direct to FOH?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
The topic of getting shocked while playing came up the other day at band practice. It got me thinking, now that I use FRFR and go direct to FOH and don't get mic'd to break the flow of electricity, what are the chances of me getting shocked or even worse, damaging my Axe-Fx II? A lot of the places I play don't have the greatest electricity and not sure how good their grounds are or if they even exist. I don't have a wireless anymore and haven't used one in over 15 years but was thinking it might be a good excuse to get one.

If using a wireless will prevent the risk of getting shocked, what's a decent Brand/model to get? Nady used to be good a long time ago but they seem to be really cheap now. I use a 10' guitar cable and don't plan on going much farther away from my rig even if using a wireless. Cell phones and wireless mobile devices didn't really exist the last time I used a wireless, so I have no clue what features I need to look for, so I won't have issues with interference.

Back in the day my bassist and I had are shares of being shocked. I've gotten zapped on the lips by mics many times, especially when playing guitar at the same time. My bassist used to have a super old Acoustic bass amp with I think an 18" speaker mounted backwards in it and one day he dropped his pick, so I went to hand him another one and our fingers touched and we got shocked pretty bad and caused both of us to fall to the ground. The worst I ever got shocked was when I was working for a music store and I went to plug in a keyboard for a customer to try out. There was an extension cord hanging from the ceiling. I'm really short (No pun intended), so when I went to reach up to plug the keyboard into it, my fingers touched a part that was frayed and I couldn't let go. I had my tongue pierced at the time and the first thing I felt was my tongue, throat and teeth buzzing. The customer kicked me, so I could let go. I lost that sale haha.

Interesting topic. Considering (I assume) you're line level all the way you've eliminated most of the multi high-power amps in the "chain", no? I've only been zapped when using high-power amp/mic setups to the board, never running everything straight to PA. This mostly happened in crappy dives with shoddy circuits (for example most didn't have proper grounds) and outdoor gigs with the thick Texas coastal humidity/moisture at night....when I was much younger.

Edit: giving it a bit more thought and to clarify a bit, there's surely still some risk but the odds have surely dropped considerably considering the removal of more potential issues within the complete chain.

Last edited:
The infamous microphone shock to the lips comes from using old amps with two-prong, ungrounded power plugs (or from some misguided soul cutting off the ground prong or using a cheater plug). Modern gear with three-prong power plugs cuts that risk way down.

When you plug direct into FOH, you're on the same ground as the microphone. That's a safer place to be.

If you just want to get a wireless...get one! :)

One big difference is that guitar amps often run 350V or more on the plates where the highest voltage in your modeling rig is 120V.

Line 6, Shure, and Audio Technica are the wireless players that first come to my mind. I currently run a G50 and am more than satisfied.

Ha, I just caught that Nady bit. Back in the day if you wanted wireless they were about the only choice out there. It's crazy to look back where we've been and now have the tech of today. My first amp was a Pignose and my first pedal was an original Rat. Crap, I'm getting old.

Ha, I just caught that Nady bit. Back in the day if you wanted wireless they were about the only choice out there. It's crazy to look back where we've been and now have the tech of today. My first amp was a Pignose and my first pedal was an original Rat. Crap, I'm getting old.

I just tried to figure out what kind of amp my bassist used to have and it was an Acoustic 360 head and 361 cab. Looks like Acoustic and Nady went in the same direction.

what's the difference between this and getting shocked via a guitar amp?

I figured bc I'm going direct I had a higher risk of getting shocked if the grounds aren't good bc I would be directly connected to the whole sound system instead of using a traditional amp and cab and micing the cab. I figured having a cab mic'd would be safer bc I wouldn't be directly connected to everything.

I guess I'm just being a worry wart but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I think I still have my old Shure T Series Wireless System somewhere. I think the Receiver was a T4N and Transmitter was a T1G. Not sure if it's still usable. I haven't had GAS in so long it feels strange. Time to start shopping for a wireless!

You're probably just connected to a mixer, which probably has less electricity and voltage than a traditional guitar amp setup, no?

It's not like the power from the PA system speakers is heading back to the Axe.

Last edited:
I figured bc I'm going direct I had a higher risk of getting shocked if the grounds aren't good bc I would be directly connected to the whole sound system instead of using a traditional amp and cab and micing the cab. I figured having a cab mic'd would be safer bc I wouldn't be directly connected to everything.
It's the lack of a common ground that causes the risk. When you run direct to FOH, your Axe is on the same ground as your mic. That reduces your risk.

If the grounding of the building power itself is shaky, that's a risk no matter how you're connected.

One time my power amp blew out at a gig... I had to go FOH to save the night... I was "shocked" how amazing it sounded (true story).

However, as for the OP's issue... bad out of phase electrical wiring at a bar/club is nothing new. That's going to happen regardless of whatever you use, so it's no fault of the Axe. The only in a pinch guaranteed protection is to use a "clown nose". I suggest keeping one in your gig bag at all times. Besides, house gear is gross, protect yourself.

e.g. - Tour Grade Microphone Windscreen 5-Pack Assorted Colors | Musician's Friend]Tour Grade Microphone Windscreen 5-Pack Assorted Colors | Musician's Friend

One big difference is that guitar amps often run 350V or more on the plates where the highest voltage in your modeling rig is 120V.

Line 6, Shure, and Audio Technica are the wireless players that first come to my mind. I currently run a G50 and am more than satisfied.

+1 for the G50.

Use a direct inject box with a transformer and ground lift then both devices (the Axe and the board) are electrically separated
That's what I do. Although my reasons for initially adopting that solution had more to do with those dumb asses who couldn't understand the difference between line and microphone levels than electrical separation. The other benefits became immediately obvious the minute I hooked into the 100 foot snake that runs between the orchestra pit and the mixing desk. Blessed silence.

he only in a pinch guaranteed protection is to use a "clown nose". I suggest keeping one in your gig bag at all times. Besides, house gear is gross, protect yourself.
The clown nose can help, but it's no guarantee. If any part of your body touches the mic or stand, all bets are off.

There's one little insurance trick you can do apparently - put a 'death cap' into your guitar's earth circuitry - IE a capacitor ( or cap + resistor in parallel) between where all the other earth wires are soldered to the vol pot and the earth wire leading to your bridge/trem claw. This still allows enough grounding to reduce hum when you ground the strings by touching them or the bridge - but adds an 'attenuator' to stop you getting the full AC current through the strings (the worst place - as if you spasm it just means your hand clamps them even tighter and you'll keep dancing and frying). You'd get a safe low voltage warning shot with the cap - enough to warn you something ain't right and get your hands away from the metal before your lips weld themselves to the mic :)

You'd still get a full shock from metal tone/vol knobs and metal toggle switches, jackplate etc maybe - but at least the natural reaction will make your fingers/hand jerk away from them

Not sure on the ratings of the cap (or resistor if using it in parallel with it). Google should help ....

Some claim an active pickup setup on a guitar prevents shocks to the player by not being grounded (active pickups are internally grounded).

I haven't been shocked with my EMG equipped guitar but that could just be coincidence.

Some claim an active pickup setup on a guitar prevents shocks to the player by not being grounded (active pickups are internally grounded).
I hadn't heard that one. The funny thing is that your bridge and strings are still grounded, and you touch them way more often than your pickups.

Actually, it's pretty rare to be shocked by modern gear, unless someone has messed with the ground pin on a power cord, or used a cheater plug.

Emg wiring diagrams(before solderless any ways) used to say to remove the bridge ground wires. the ground connects only to the battery when the chord is plugged in. this possibly could help, but I always left the ground wires connected to the bridge. but I have not had this happen to me at all since going direct to FOH with out any amps.

Oh, I thought this thread was about being shocked at how good it sounds direct to FOH :p
I know I was the first time I ran direct!

Back
Top Bottom