Has anyone attempted a Sykes/Blue Murder era tone?

Loquenau

Power User
Regardless of the gear used, his tone through the times seems to have remained essentially the same. Mostly he's used Marshalls (and Marshall cabs), and even though it says on his site he used Mesa Colliseums during the initial Blue Murder period, live he was using Marshalls, probably the 50-watt JCM800s as that was what he was using prior.

I novicely dabbled with the JCM800 last night toward something remotely like in the above, to no avail.

Anyone got something like this, or have suggestions to get there?

Mark Day created a Sykes Whitesnake patch on the exchange... it was for an earlier FW version though. Not sure if it has been updated. It was created with a Friedman HBE, I believe.

Mark Day created a Sykes Whitesnake patch on the exchange... it was for an earlier FW version though. Not sure if it has been updated. It was created with a Friedman HBE, I believe.

I think I vaguely remember that. I'd like to use what Sykes used, amp and cab-wise.

it's a pretty standard 80's marshall tone....a lot of the magic is from his hands.

I doubt that. A power chord is a power chord. And it doesn't sound standard to me. It has a lot more juice and sparkle (not sizzle) than others of the day.

i did one using the mesa triaxis preamp on bright setting. i need to find it and add it to my presets.

I am no expert but to me it sounds like he is using some chorus to fatten up his rhythm tone. Always liked his guitar tone. Use to listen to those albums a lot.

I doubt that. A power chord is a power chord. And it doesn't sound standard to me. It has a lot more juice and sparkle (not sizzle) than others of the day.

Totally disagree...two different guys can play the same thing in the same rig and sound very different.

Back
Top Bottom