Harmonizer in the Axe FX 2

Another trick is to assign an expression pedal to the shift note of the intelligent harmony and change it on the fly as you play. For example, you can set the modifier Min to -4 and Max to -3. That would give you a 4th down harmony with the pedal at heel down and a 3rd down harmony with the pedal at toe down. You can then change the harmony interval on the fly as you play for more complex harmony runs or even do pedal steel type harmony bends. Set Min to -5 and Max to -3 and you get three harmony notes to choose from: 5th down at heel, 4th down half way, 3rd down at toe.

Is there a reason why my little ball does not go all the way to the top when playing on input gain? Probably 1/2 way.

Another trick is to assign an expression pedal to the shift note of the intelligent harmony and change it on the fly as you play. For example, you can set the modifier Min to -4 and Max to -3. That would give you a 4th down harmony with the pedal at heel down and a 3rd down harmony with the pedal at toe down. You can then change the harmony interval on the fly as you play for more complex harmony runs or even do pedal steel type harmony bends. Set Min to -5 and Max to -3 and you get three harmony notes to choose from: 5th down at heel, 4th down half way, 3rd down at toe.
I would need to see this in a video to understand.

Im having pitch block issues myself with the intelligent harmonizer.. You put the key, and the tonic, then the other drop down menus have notes.. But no matter how hard I try and change one of those that's wrong to a note that will work it insists on staying on that note. Is there a way to make a custom harmonizer that goes down a 3rd, but a 4th when you need it?

Is there a reason why my little ball does not go all the way to the top when playing on input gain? Probably 1/2 way.

Your input is not high enough to make it go all the way to the top. Go to the Control menu envelope (ENV) page and adjust the response of the controller. There's a meter at the bottom of the page to show the controller's response relative to the input.

Threshold sets the level at which the controller will start to follow your input. If your input level is below the set threshold, the controller stays at the minimum value. This is useful if you want the controller to follow parts you pick hard, but ignore parts you pick soft.

Attack and release control the rates at which the controller will follow the input once above the threshold. Default is all the way down, so the controller follows the input in real time. Turn these values up to make it lag behind and ramp up to the value of the input. These are useful to make parameters ramp up and down for things like auto volume swells and such.

Gain sets the input level going into the envelope detector. If the modifier dot doesn't go all the way to the top, raise the gain so your loudest input makes it use more of the controller's range. Inversely, if the dot shoots up to the top and stays there too much, your input level is too high for the detector and you should lower the gain parameter.

Hello Axe FX 2 lovers and users.
I need some kind of assistance. I have not managed to get a good harmonizer effect on the Axe FX 2 for my rock solos. I am looking into buying an Eventide H9 or Pitchfactor. Any advise? What am I missing in the Axe FX2?
I must admit that I am not good at making my own patches. Most of my patches are Yek's and Fremen's ones.
BTW Cliff, Fractal is the best unit I have owned for years. I wished I had more time to use it.
Been using harmonizers for years and love the Axe Fx Harm! Pitch block must go in front of any blocks that alters your dry sound for best results(EQ is ok before)! I always set to 'custom' and not only define the notes that I will be playing but also all the notes that are between should be set to allow a smooth transition i.e. B +3, C +3, C# +4, D +5... Also, split the direct and harm and use a different drive, amp, cab & effects after it. I can't recall all the parameters but the glide needs to be adjusted.

Pitch block must go in front of any blocks that alters your dry sound for best results
you need to some times try putting it in other places. I have some patches were your method is correct, but also have patches were it sounds best between the amp and cab. there are no must rules here just do what works best for you!

you need to some times try putting it in other places. I have some patches were your method is correct, but also have patches were it sounds best between the amp and cab. there are no must rules here just do what works best for you!
Interesting! I am guessing that it would be a clean sound in order to track well?

Interesting! I am guessing that it would be a clean sound in order to track well?
This was always my thought until I got the AX-8 and some of my go to axe fx presets were not transferring well, so I was moving the pitch block around and found a few times were it was way better after the amp which really suprized me.

This was always my thought until I got the AX-8 and some of my go to axe fx presets were not transferring well, so I was moving the pitch block around and found a few times were it was way better after the amp which really suprized me.
I'll do some experimenting! Which amps?

I've been looking forward to digging into the harmonizer as well... I found simple 2 part harmonies to be pretty easy to dial in, but when I made a quick attempt to do a multipart harmony-that's where I fell short. I was actually looking to replicate Pantera - Hollow to have some fun with... Any input for setups like this one?

I noticed Digitech Harmony Man has a Sidechain feature: by analizing a chord progression, it picks the best harmonization for your leads:

Minute 4:11

I am a Axe Fx ultra user: Is there any way I can get that with Axe FX 2? I assume It has not a dedicated function for that.

The only way I see is to have a separat midi file running which changes the harmonics value via cc command. However, you have to manually program the midi file with the correct order of the harmonics - afaik there is no auto detect feature.

The only way I see is to have a separat midi file running which changes the harmonics value via cc command. However, you have to manually program the midi file with the correct order of the harmonics - afaik there is no auto detect feature.
I see. Not a bad solution though. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom