Harmonizer in the Axe FX 2

Simeon, sounds like you're the guy to ask questions on the intelligent harmony stuff.

I have the AX8 and as far as I can tell it functions the same way as the Axe Fx II.

I have Custom and tried setting it up as you recommend for Boys are back in town. Doesn't sound great. You reference the manual, but the AX8 manual doesn't have anything on using the Intel Harm Pitch block.

Can you tell me where I can find information on how to properly use this feature? I've been tweaking for hours now and the custom function tends to sound like it's bending out of key.

Thanks in advance.

I have a custom scale for Boys are back that works perfectly :
Custom scale 5 : 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4
This is for a guitar tuned in Eb but you can adjust it with a parameter (I forgot which one, at work now)
I display it in some of my Axe-Fx videos, not on the latest AX8 one though but it's the same

Simeon, sounds like you're the guy to ask questions on the intelligent harmony stuff.

I have the AX8 and as far as I can tell it functions the same way as the Axe Fx II.

I have Custom and tried setting it up as you recommend for Boys are back in town. Doesn't sound great. You reference the manual, but the AX8 manual doesn't have anything on using the Intel Harm Pitch block.

Can you tell me where I can find information on how to properly use this feature? I've been tweaking for hours now and the custom function tends to sound like it's bending out of key.

Thanks in advance.
Hi TimMcG1011, I posted this link in the thread that you started............
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/moke-is-back-in-town.94672/

I came from a TC Gmajor 2 and find the harmonizer in the AXE equally as good and better, because it can be customized. I also find it very easy to use. I put my pitch block after the amp and cab, except for my Acoustic Piezo preset. Then I run it parallel.
Boys are back, 2 tickets, Detroit Rock City, Can't get enough, etc, all took me about 5 minutes each. All mine are very realistic. Some I have 100%, while others are 50% plus.
It may take a little practice and experimenting. But I guarantee you will find the right settings.

Thanks in advance.

not sure what to say. i just followed my own instructions in post #18 and it works perfectly. it took literally 2 minutes to set up. i also switched the harmoniser to Ab and played the riff in Ab and all was good.

i did used to use a custom scale for this, but the intel harmoniser is much quicker and easier to set up

i'm not sure how to advise you, because on the face of it, it's really simple. if something weird is happening at you end, then i'll need more information to try and nail down what's going wrong. can you record a clip of how it sounds?

n.b. you can only play the notes that are in the custom scale you've set up, which are a, b, c#, d, e, f#

you can't play g or g#

more info please, dude

I'll mess with this again tonight. Thanks very much for all the replies. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but trying to figure out what that is. I've never done any pitch shifting stuff before so it's probably a matter of just learning how to properly use it.

all it takes is time and the will to self educate. you don't have to give up a kidney, or sign your soul over to the devil... :)

A bit off topic but have you ever tried using the Harmonizer (or any other AxeFx block) for vocal processing? Just curious...

nope. but i have used other harmonisers (plugins) for vocal processing without much luck. without formant shifting they just sound bad.

for the boys are back in town, you can use the intel harmoniser. set the key to Ab if you're a half step down and set scale to custom. set the number of notes to 6 and make them C, D, E, F, G, A. the voices need to be set to +3 or -3 (depending which part you play).

this works for the main riff, but doesn't work for the solo section, because two different harmonies are used there.

for the solo section, you need to use the intel harmoniser set to mixolydian. voice 1 = -3 and voice 2 = -4. you play the top line (that starts on E) and use -3 for the first two notes and -4 for the next 3 notes and then back to -3. i use a cc pedal to change between the voices.

This works great!! Solo for Can't Get Enough of Your Love?

try C mixolydian +3 (if your first note is E)

even though there's a minor third in the second half of the solo (i think), it still sounds ok (the harmoniser in the axe is quite clever about how it deals with notes outside the scale). in fact i have an ambient patch with loads of harmony notes (and synth notes) where i usually deliberately play notes outside the scale to get some really nice and interesting oblique chords

For me, global custom scales are almost always the way to go if I don't want to spend the entire day experimenting with the regular custom scales. I've had limited success getting exactly what I want without global custom, even if the intervals are musically correct. I wish the Axe had more than 32 global custom scales.

As for the quality, I have no complaints.

try C mixolydian +3 (if your first note is E)

even though there's a minor third in the second half of the solo (i think), it still sounds ok (the harmoniser in the axe is quite clever about how it deals with notes outside the scale). in fact i have an ambient patch with loads of harmony notes (and synth notes) where i usually deliberately play notes outside the scale to get some really nice and interesting oblique chords

THANKS SIMEON!!!

This is a great and timely thread; I've spent the evening solely on the Pitch block programming it for a couple of tunes including "Boys Are Back". I haven't spent a lot of time on this block at all as I've not really needed to use it previously (aside from the Whammy) and the suggestions on this thread were very helpful in navigating the intelligent pitch/harmonies, etc.

Have got the Pitch block sounding very good and natural; love the tracking/feel and I'll be using this a lot more to fill out some songs...

Great thread, thanks guys.

here you go. it's just mixolydian up a third

the original has root panned left and right, so i used the enhancer to split and i doubled the harmony for richness
This is great. How do I set up controller for touch sensitive on input gain? Struggling with this part of block.2 tickets..
Thx..

Back
Top Bottom