Harmonic pitch shifter question (help !)

lauke-lux

Fractal Fanatic
Hello, pitch shifting subject....maybe there is no solution, but howbeit: He who doesn't ask is sure not to get an answer !

Find joined here to a patch I used in Axe Fx 2 for a cover version of Dany California that I'd like to translate to FM3, if possible. My question concerns the solo part for which by the time I created 4 custom pitch scales used in two parallel pitch blocks. The solo is done with three notes on the B-string : F 6th fret, G 8th fret and A 10th fret, so I didn't really take care checking the "harmony" for the other notes of the custom scale.

Two custom scales per Pitchblock, which is not possible in the FM3 as we only have one, and I don't see how it could be possible CPU-wise to have 2 one day. That's life, and I knew this when I bought the FM3 so no sweat so far.

I wonder though if it would be possible with one custom or standard scale to come close to this.

I have not enough musical and harmony knowledge to see how this can be done with a single custom scale using the Quad shift effect of the FM3 pitch block, tried though in vain, but maybe for a very musical harmony instructed guy there is a possibility ?

My question is, if there could be a common scale that could get close to this, just for the F, G and A notes :

As far as I know the original song is in the key of A.

Here are the custom scales I used in the joined Axe Fx 2 patch.

1604866065263.png

For the solo I used to play the refrain on the looper (scene 2) and then activating scene 3 for the first turn (only pitchblock 1) and then scene 4 (activating both pitchblocks). Then further to a patch for the guitar rifs of the end/coda and to kill the looper. the only recording I found was a rehearsal of 2015 when we still worked with a zoom recorder, and it sounds like we had drunk a bit, so I will not reproduce this here. ;-).

Attachments

• 1604863793750.png
    1604863793750.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Dany California.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
It sounds like it's just a two-part then a four-part harmony, plus an extra high A as the last note is held.

If you set a custom 8-note scale D-E-F-F#-G-A-B-C it will get the right F C Dm voicings for most of it, starting with a voice at -4 then adding +4 and +6. (This matches what you'd get with all voices in your example, minus the note doubling.)

The last 2 beats don't stay entirely within that scheme so you'd have to alter the intervals somehow if you want to get the original notes there. One way would be to modify harmony values with two control switches in an exclusive group, one latching and one momentary. Or you could run the sequencer there e.g. 8 steps, 16th notes beginning on beat 3.

dPbQSpJ.png

Finally came up with this...using the Plex Shift as a second pitch shifter it's not totally OK as there is at least missing one harmonic..
Pls note I use a Ownhammer cab, so maybe a TVmix 2 from the legacy cabs would be best.
Start looper, play the refrain on scene 4 or scene 3, play looper and do the harmonic part on scene 5 & 6. It's not perfect, but interesting "enough".

Here's a fast soundclip I shoot, just for leaving, noticed there are some latency issues but did not the time to correct, it does give an idea though. Any suggestions for doing better shall be welcome !

Attachments

• LL M-D30 Strat Dany.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
It sounds like it's just a two-part then a four-part harmony, plus an extra high A as the last note is held.

If you set a custom 8-note scale D-E-F-F#-G-A-B-C it will get the right F C Dm voicings for most of it, starting with a voice at -4 then adding +4 and +6. (This matches what you'd get with all voices in your example, minus the note doubling.)

The last 2 beats don't stay entirely within that scheme so you'd have to alter the intervals somehow if you want to get the original notes there. One way would be to modify harmony values with two control switches in an exclusive group, one latching and one momentary. Or you could run the sequencer there e.g. 8 steps, 16th notes beginning on beat 3.

dPbQSpJ.png
Wow, didn't see this before posting. Wednesday is a day off here, will have a look at it. Thanks !!!

Here are the pitches I came up with from that table.
Untitled.jpg

You actually only need 3 voices as there were some redundancies in the original version. I'm not sure if it will really matter, but in case it does, the key is D minor (or F major).

Back
Top Bottom