Harley Benton?

Bman

Power User
I'm guess I'm late to the party but lately have been seeing HB gear on the web for dirt cheap. All kinds of goodies like cool guitars that are cheap enough to modify but have a lot of the goods I'd already want. They've got a 2-12 v30 cab for about $185.

I understand you get what you pay for and I've seen several differing opinions on quality. I'm assuming some are gems and some are lemons. Anyone have any positive experiences with their gear? Or any bad experiences? I'm playing around with the idea of modding one of their guitars into my own Frankenstein.

I've been mulling ordering one myself out of curiosity.

I think they're Harley Benton v30s. Who knows, they might sound great broken in. The box alone seems worth the money. I have an old 80 watt Crate cab with some cheap Crate speakers in it. I play a '73 50 watt Marshall thru it and that cab sounds better than any 1960 cab I've tried. The low fi speakers and bloom of the cab is just killer.

Glenn Fricker loves these Harley Benton cabs. He doesn't say they're as good as the more expensive ones, but if you're a guitar player on a budget he recommends them.

HELLO

got a HB 2*12 standard for 125 Euros (~110 $) to change the speakers inside.
I loaded many Eminence speakers : governor, wizard, Canabis Rex.
I make some improvements in the cab itself: add some silicon joints over the inside edges, and paint inside with a polyurethan varnish for waves reflexion to "compensate" the entry level material quality...

AS a result a really nice sounding cab.

I recently bought one of the real cheap harley benton B550 5 string basses. Apart from very sharp fret ends and a bad setup, it’s a nice bass.

Great for the price, I think. But if you’re not comfortable doing a little work to get whatever super-cheap gear into a state you like, you might be better off looking at a higher price point. I had to get a thicker low B string (stock was too thin), stick some foam under the pickups to raise them up, and I also shimmed the saddle for the low B string so I didn’t have to have it cranked up as high as it went.

The fret ends scratched up my hand pretty good, but some fine sandpaper wrapped around a pencil worked fine to round them off.

Back
Top Bottom