Harley Benton GPA-400 Power Amp with Axe-Fx II 120 Volts

markyd

Inspired
So, I have an AXE-FX II and a Matrix Power amp. I love the Matrix. I play a lot of gigs where a cabinet is provided however, so I wanted a power amp with some tone controls to compensate for different cabinets on the fly as I don't have time to adjust presets. I came across the Harley Benton GPA-400 power amp from Thomann for only $166.
https://m.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm
I figure for that price, what the hell.
When I received it, I was dismayed to find that It would only work on 230 volts. Bummer. I considered getting a transformer, but that would defeat the whole purpose of having a lightweight power amp. So, it sat for a while. On a whim I opened it up and discovered that there seemed to be a way to shunt a spot on the board to convert it to 120 volts. I soldered a bit of solid copper wire on the spot, and fired it up connected to 120 volts and it worked great!
[IMG]

[IMG]

It sounds pretty good! My Matrix sounds only a little bit "sweeter", but overall it sounds really good. Especially for only $166! The tone controls really help when I have to use different cabinets. It is plenty loud.

Back
Top Bottom