Hardware needed for preset changes...

pjrake

Inspired
What hardware do I need to have Ableton Live 9 change my presets as we use backing tracks live. We have two guitars in the band. Looked around for some YouTube videos and found a few that shows how to program it on Ableton Live but not what type of hardware is used.

Any help is appreciated \m/

-PJ

Assuming you are also using an audio interface with midi capability, I would think a midi cable would be all you need.

We're running an 1/8" out of the laptop right now split L/R with the click on one side and the tracks on the other. Should we look into a small audio interface instead? Perhaps the sound quality will be better, no?

Thanks for the input!

-PJ

I'd go with an audio interface with a total of at least 4 outputs, then you'd be able to use stereo backing tracks, and one or two monitoring outputs, and it will probably have midi capability as well.

Yeah, Ableton actually does MIDI stuff quite well(obviously, since a majority of the music done in Ableton is programmed MIDI), getting program changes to work was a breeze with Ableton, but was frustrating to get in Logic.

If you connect the Axe via USB, you can use a MIDI editor to send program change messages to the Axe. I'm pretty sure Ableton can do this. I know Sonar and Reaper can.

Otherwise, something like this would fit the bill for simple MIDI I/O:

Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI Interface | Musician's Friend

That looks like it can work!

Since we're using 2 Axe FX we can daisy chain them, correct? Figuring out how to set it up on Ableton will be a discussion for another day! lol

Back
Top Bottom