Hardware IR Loader

JazzMac251

Inspired
These days I'm very into running my real amps into cab IRs. I've been doing this with my AxeFX2 for about a year now. I recently purchased an Atomic Ampli-Firebox intending to load it up with my favorite cab IRs so I could leave my AxeFX2 in my studio. Much simpler load in!

Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to the limitations of the Firebox's IR resolution capabilities. If I'm understanding correctly, the Firebox only has half of the IR resolution compared to the AxeFX2, which puts whatever IR you're loading onto the Firebox akin to a "normal" resolution cab in the Axe.

There is a noticeable difference.

To be sure, it's not the end of the world. It's not even really something that would necessarily be noticed in a live setting, realistically speaking. But, nonetheless, I don't like the idea of my sound being so inconsistent relative to what I'm working and practicing on at home.

Is anyone aware of a different small (preferably stompbox-sized), lightweight, relatively cheap product out there that could handle IRs at a similar resolution to what the AxeFX can? Wish Fractal made something... :(

Thanks!

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201709227917.html

They claim it will handle all resolutions
20171023161074467446.jpg

Keep in mind if you are running Ultra Res IRs in the Axefx you wont be able to "match" the performance with any other IR loader as Ultra Res is proprietary processing done by the AxeFx and is a separate feature from the length and sample rate of the IR

This looks great but I can't tell what length IRs it supports before it starts truncating them.

Mooer radar’s sample rate is 44.1. Not as high as axefx. I doubt it can handle UltraRes length files.

I think this is probably correct :(

Keep in mind if you are running Ultra Res IRs in the Axefx you wont be able to "match" the performance with any other IR loader as Ultra Res is proprietary processing done by the AxeFx and is a separate feature from the length and sample rate of the IR

Yeah, I'm starting to realize this is the case. I guess the product I'm looking for doesn't exist, then. From what I understand, processing longer IRs like the AxeFX can is more of an issue with latency than it is an issue of processing power and solving that latency issue was one of Fractal's proprietary innovations.

Fractal should make a product that competes with the Ampli-Firebox. Modelers are great, but playing with your real amp into a reactive load box and a great cab IR is really something special. For this use case, it doesn't make sense to lug around a giant piece of rackmount hardware just to run the best sounding cab IRs. It would be great if Fractal made a small, cheap IR loader that would compliment this setup, something that you could easily throw in your bag. No FX necessary, just cab IRs and maybe an optional amp sim for when your tube amp inevitably blows up at a gig.

Fractal should make a product that competes with the Ampli-Firebox. Modelers are great, but playing with your real amp into a reactive load box and a great cab IR is really something special. For this use case, it doesn't make sense to lug around a giant piece of rackmount hardware just to run the best sounding cab IRs. It would be great if Fractal made a small, cheap IR loader that would compliment this setup, something that you could easily throw in your bag. No FX necessary, just cab IRs and maybe an optional amp sim for when your tube amp inevitably blows up at a gig.

I also hope that this happens in the near future! The next product they are coming out is their own reactive load that is supposedly better than the Suhr Reactive Load. Maybe the next thing will be an AxeFx IR loader device!

I currently use an AMT Pangaea CP-100FX to load IRs when I am using my Suhr Reactive Load. It’s best solution for now.

Back
Top Bottom