Hardware IR Loader?

stm113

Power User
Is there a hardware IR Loader out there other than the Torpedo? Seems like this would be such a handy thing that shouldn't cost as much as those do IF you don't need a load box.

I'm looking for something to put in my backup rig that could run in line between my preamp and power amp so I can still run IR's to FOH.

What are you guys using as your back up rigs? I'm narrowing my selections down of gear I already have a Boss GT-PRO (I used to love that thing but haven't touched in the 4 + years I've had my Fractal) and a (pardon the cussing) Line 6 Pod X3. For both its obvious why I'd want to use my Ownhammer IR's.

I'm looking for something to put in my backup rig that could run in line between my preamp and power amp so I can still run IR's to FOH.
A load box won't do you any good between a preamp and power amp as you describe. What are you looking for as far as "backup rig"? If you are currently running a preamp rack to power amp rack, just run an interface in between and connect to laptop/pc. My apologies if I'm not understanding your preferred layout, but there doesn't seem to be a backup needed in your scenario. FWIW the Fractal can function exclusively as an IR loader if you wish (bypassing other modules), but seems a bit of waste of horsepower if you asked me. Please elaborate.

Is there a hardware IR Loader out there other than the Torpedo? Seems like this would be such a handy thing that shouldn't cost as much as those do IF you don't need a load box.

What are you guys using as your back up rigs? I'm narrowing my selections down of gear I already have a Boss GT-PRO (I used to love that thing but haven't touched in the 4 + years I've had my Fractal) and a (pardon the cussing) Line 6 Pod X3. For both its obvious why I'd want to use my Ownhammer IR's.
IMG_20150917_085743.jpg

The Logidy EPSi is a great IR loader... $200 bucks... Before I got my AXE FX II, I was using the EPSi with preamps like the Tech 21 Blonde Deluxe or the T-Rex SpinDoctor 2 with amazing results... I have some videos in my Youtube channel that I recorded with this gear... ;-)

Another IR loader hardware is the AMT Pangea... but I've not used it...

Last edited:
1. There is a Torpedo without a load box: Torpedo C.A.B. Not a cheap product but still half the price of Torpedo Live
2. Lots of people here in Russia use AMT Pangea, and I've heard only good about it. Doesn't have a nice remote application like Torpedo, but still half the price of C.A.B. :)

A load box won't do you any good between a preamp and power amp as you describe. What are you looking for as far as "backup rig"? If you are currently running a preamp rack to power amp rack, just run an interface in between and connect to laptop/pc. My apologies if I'm not understanding your preferred layout, but there doesn't seem to be a backup needed in your scenario. FWIW the Fractal can function exclusively as an IR loader if you wish (bypassing other modules), but seems a bit of waste of horsepower if you asked me. Please elaborate.

My bad i wasn't clear with what i was trying to get across. My current live rig is AF2 ->OUT1 ->FOH & OUT2->Quilter Tone Block 200 -> 4×12 cab.

I am interested in getting a back up rig together that I can run direct and get good tones. Currently I have a L6 Vetta Head, L6 Pod X3 and a Boss GT-PRO rack unit. Between selling my Randall MTS rig and getting the AF2 I was actually running the Boss into my 5150 head, using the Boss modeling and FX and thr 5150 only for power. I got some great tones this way, but I havent touched it sincr my AF2, so I may feel about it like I do my Vetta Head.

I know that IR's would sound so much better than the speaker "simulations" on those units. The reason I even mentioned load box is because I came across the obscenely priced Torpedos and just thought to myself..."self, there has to be a much less expensive alternative" I wouldn't need a load box, I did also see a torpedo that's not a load box still IMO over priced.

The new AMT would be awesome if it weren't the price of a used Atomic Amplifire. I was very close to going that route and using my SY300 for main guitar tone.

Back
Top Bottom