Hardest tone to create on Axe..Metal..Blues..Funk..Clean?

Cheers everyone, playing late last night I actually found a Bassman that is much nearer than I have got before, still tweaked loads but but much happier, it's the juggling gains and volumes and low end frequencies. Still seems a bit of a lottery but thats probably my lack of knowledge, but as I say again this forum and the advice given, is greatly appreciated from the heart, many thanks all.

Try the Keith Urban amp (5F8 Tweed) with the input ramped up to ten and control the break up with the volume knob - it's my current favourite tone out of the axe.

Add an 808mod in front and it gets pretty damn searing!

If you haven't already, I'd definitely recommend downloading some IR's to experiment with. I held off for a long time but I downloaded cab pack 9 the other day and it's really opened my eyes.

In my travels around the grid....I found the cab has a big impact on the sound..especially under the preamp simulation...and the mic dudes...I also found you really need to get into the weeds on the AMP block parameters...to really make that amp bark.....under the SPKR page and the DYN page is where I found some real horse power....if you need some of the tweaks I've made Ahmed...let me know...I know it's a deep rabbit hole....but it can be a lot of fun...it's not the trip but the journey....it really is very very hard not to get awesome sounds from any of the G3'd amps in the AXE....

Last edited:
Personally I struggle with the mild breakup tones as well. My problem is I've never played any real amps using that sound so I have less knowledge of whats required to get those sounds out of my Axe.

I feel confident the sound is in there and I can create a "passable" tone quite easy. I just need to try a fender amp cranked on 11 with a tubescreamer in front to get some true reference in my head of what's needed.

I'm thinking one of the things needed for this type of sound may just be simple "VOLUME" lol

You see thats one I can't do still, amp on edge of breakup with that particular drive. SRV used a Dumble I think with a Tubescreamer. Everyone raves how great and I've heard some great ones. Just can't get it. Too clean or Slipknot!

well if you have no real experience with those amps/tones it's going to be really tough for you to get a handle on how it's supposed to sound and feel. the Axe kills those tones, whether it's American or British vibes.

Let's not forget that what usually works for high-gain/crunch is terrible for cleans and vice-versa. So if you have hot, nasally, mid-scooped pickups - you are in for a trial attempting to get *good* clean tones out of your rig right at the start.

The bassman is one of the easier amps to get the sounds you are talking about. Here is a recording of a patch that just has the amp, Factory cab #58 and a bit of reverb:

here is the patch for you to try:

http://www.tylergrund.com/patches/simplebassman.syx

Download the patch...don't change any settings... and record something and post it here. I want to gauge what sound YOUR guitar is putting into the axefx.

AMAZING Bassman sound. Wow. With my 2000 American Standard Strat and Dimarzio pups, it is a pristine blues sound. Thank you!!!

I know mate, that's my biggest fear on here is asking one question too many, or not wording it right. I am learning all the time on this, on it everyday and reading this forum and google for tips. Got to be honest though the more I actualy sit and screw up or experiment the better my sounds are. Maybe it's frustration looking at the tube videos and not sounding nowhere near. Since I first posted I have actually found and tweaked a preset which now sounds like Little Wing...overjoyed, added drive and lowered drive to zero but ruined it, but getting there.

Glad your making progress. It is an amazing unit. I found the drive block to work wonders on the play feel. Big changes in fw19 there. I have to finish tracking a song im working on then ill give fw19 a proper spin

I thought everyones suggestions were good, and good example patch. A big part of it to me is the character of the guitar also a pickup /volume knob thing, and how close the pickups & strings are from each other, plus start a loop and swap out cabs.

Last edited:
I'd like to add something I've experienced. I've occasionally (on many different amps and guitars and rack components) found I was gettting very mild faint distortion at the ends of notes, when I either didn't think I should get it or hadn't noticed it before. What I found was the distortion was coming from poor connections somewhere in the system. (My basement can get humid). I used to use brass 1/4" phone plugs (long time ago) and after I discovered that they would get some surface corrosion and start adding distortion, I started treating them with DeOxit (I know I sound like a commercial, I've also recommended it for cleaning and preserving strings). Now, usually yearly, I'll clean my plugs and jacks with DeOxit, just to maintain the best connections. I also know any noise in the pots on my guitars wind up as faint distortion on top of the notes. My main guitar now has a noisy volume pot, before I play I work the volume control until there's no more crackling at all out of it. It should be replaced, but until working the pot fails to fix it, I'll go the lazy route. Anyway, when you think you should have a pristine clean sound and don't, check your connections. Output jack on the guitar, the plugs on any cords, the jacks they plug into. If nothing else, plug them in and out several times, that helps even if you're not going to use contact cleaner. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd be interested in hearing about it. If no one else has ever experienced this, then I've deluded myself thoroughly for decades. ;-}

Back
Top Bottom