Hard to watch a pet in pain

1poorplayer

Power User
7E86ABCF-821B-43E5-862F-0C742E45EA29.jpeg My Great Dane pup came home today “fixed”.
6 month old , 85 lb , baby. Shivering , moaning , and disoriented. It’s going to be a long few weeks. My singer nicknamed her the “House-Cow”

Not sure why they call it “fixed”.

True. I guess the “correct” term is spayed. She’s a sweetheart.
Hated to do it , but we didn’t want to breed her or deal with heats , or even better - end up with 1/2 Great Dane - 1/2 “whatever comes in the yard” MIX - puppies , when we least expected it !
Dogs in heat - can be smelled 3 miles away by each other. ( so I’ve read )

Hang in there, it gets better and she'll be back to her old self before you both know it.

Just be careful of the food volume as dogs after they are spayed tend to put on weight much more easily.

Can't let this post get any further without:

uBIwpVb.jpg

She’s Coming around pretty good. Unfortunately ( for everyone , her , the walls , my cabinets ) she has the CONE on her head.

The cone didn't slow my Lab down at all when he had to have surgery on his eye. We had bruises from him running into us. He broke a chunk of wood off of a kitchen cabinet but luckily it was a clean break and glued back on and you can't see where it broke. We had to keep him on a leash at all times, so he didn't run in to things and destroy the house. We were so glad when we could remove the cone.

Ouch. My Ozzy have to go the same route in a few weeks. Also 6 months now and 79 lbs.
I wish your "House-Cow" a speedy recovery.
View attachment 49162

With the female , since they are already “in there” , the VET talked my wife into letting them sew her stomach to her side ( I believe ) in order to stop the chance of her getting a twisted stomach in the future. Hence the House-Cow name comes into play again , as this is a condition quite common with .....cows and Great Danes. If yours is a Great Dane as well - Food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
I think I've posted this before, but this is Marco Polo, my $10,000 dog. In addition to being neutered, he also had foot surgery at 1, back surgery at 5, and knee surgery at 9. Plus he also has Addison's disease. He's 10 now and unstoppable. Out of my 5 dogs, he's still the one to catch all of the rabbits in the back yard, despite everything he's been through. He became a cone expert, but we're really hoping not to have to go through that again. This picture was right after the torn ACL and knee surgery last year.

MarcoSurgerySmall.jpg

With the female , since they are already “in there” , the VET talked my wife into letting them sew her stomach to her side ( I believe ) in order to stop the chance of her getting a twisted stomach in the future. Hence the House-Cow name comes into play again , as this is a condition quite common with .....cows and Great Danes. If yours is a Great Dane as well - Food for thought.

I was just about to write this :) Yes it is indeed common and can be fatal, so will deff do this as well when she is under.

My gorgeous 12 year old furry friend passed away today.......... hurts soooooo much

Attachments

• DSC_0230.JPG
    DSC_0230.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom