Hard Rock Album Project Completed - All Axe-FX II for electric guitars

quilttop1

Earlier this month, I released a 10 song album (do they even call it an "album" anymore?) project called "The Evolution Sessions: Volume IV". While multiple guitars were used during the recording (Les Paul Custom, Fender Strat, Ernie Ball Axis, PRS Custom 22 Soapbar), all guitar tones were generated with the Axe-FX II (FW 18 through Q7) and recorded stereo direct to Pro Tools via XLR. To say that I'm over the moon ecstatic about how well the Axe-FX performed would be a massive understatement. The Friedman Dirty Shirley & HBE models, along with the Plexi 50 Watt Jump model, comprised the bulk of the rhythm and lead tracks, and they sit great in the full mix with minimal EQ adjustment. It would have taken one very effective isolation cabinet and room full of amp heads, pushed to the point of knocking down circuit breakers, to achieve what this bodacious box of wonders accomplished in a 2 story townhouse while being monitored in quiet earbuds. FAS, both my neighbors and I thank you for creating such an incredibly effective recording/live rig in a 2 rack space sized housing!

While this release is also available on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify and Tidal, I've included a SoundCloud link below. Hope you like it!

Sounds great! What amp was that on Remember Me Not? Plexi? Loved the riff on the intro to that.

Thank you! That was the Friedman Dirty Shirley model from Q6. The intro/rhythm guitars are double tracked; Les Paul Custom with a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge on one side, and a Fender Strat with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge on the other. The solo in that song is a Friedman HBE model.

Thank you very much! It was a lot of work, but also a heckuva lot of fun. I got to cover a lot of ground; raging electrics, plucky 6 string acoustics and an 8 string baritone acoustic that might just be the world's most difficult instrument to put down...;-)

Back
Top Bottom