Hard Drive Recommendations iMac

mwd

Power User
Need to replace a 3TB HD in my older iMac for music stuff. Full again. Currently using Seagate and leaning towards Seagate due to temp sensor plugin however l'm looking for ideas in the 6 to 8TB range eliminating 5400 RPM drives.

Go solid state. I recently switched the 7200 RPM in my Mac Mini to a solid state drive and the difference in speed is phenomenal! It boots up in a matter of seconds now and file access speed is much improved.

Also, there are many external storage solutions that can hold the projects you are not immediately working on, so you can free up space on your internal drive.

Go solid state. I recently switched the 7200 RPM in my Mac Mini to a solid state drive and the difference in speed is phenomenal! It boots up in a matter of seconds now and file access speed is much improved.

Getting 3 to 8 TB of SSD is still a bit pricey ;)

Also, there are many external storage solutions that can hold the projects you are not immediately working on, so you can free up space on your internal drive.

Yes. Or choose something like the Jottacloud backup plan - they also have an included online archive.

I love my SSD in my MacBook Pro but its only 500GB. I'm crazy good at justifying stuff...lol but 1400 bucks for an 7TB SSD ... not there yet :)

I don't trust anything but WD. I would never touch a Seagate drive- super high failure rates...all risk

Get an interneral SSD and an internal HDD- but- i also don't know anything about macs so I assume that's not possible on most computers

WD Black if possible

I don't trust anything but WD. I would never touch a Seagate drive- super high failure rates...all risk

My experience was different Jeries. I've consumed a ton of drives over the decades, especially being in IT, oddly the mass of failures I've encountered have been WD with an occasional Toshiba or Hitachi. To be fair I have used more WD than Seagate but point being I've never had a Seagate drive fail and I have had quite a few WD fail. My original Seagate 1TB that came with a 2009 iMac is still working.

I've come to the conclusion it's 'batch' related. Good and bad drives in all brands. I've also learned you tend to hate the brand that did fail...lol. Honestly I don't trust 'any' brand. Especially with music. I have backups of my backups...lol.

Back
Top Bottom