Hans Zimmer on Netflix

slinky005

Power User
Live in concert with a zillion people onstage.
Really brilliant stuff in my opinion.
This guy has done so much dating back many years. Quite the catalogue.
Very nicely shot and so much to look at - musicians , gear etc.
I wish the sound quality was a bit better but that could my system.
Worth checking out.

It's a little too obvious that all women on stage are gorgeous...
Nothing against beauty, but mr Zimmer seems to have applied strict selection criteria.

Nothing against beauty, but mr Zimmer seems to have applied strict selection criteria.
He has lived and worked in Hollywood for decades...what did you expect? ...at least they all (for the most part) got chops to go with looks.
...Although i did feel the live show which i saw In Chicago last year, was a bit bombastic, and I wanted to hear Guthrie Govan more in the mix....

Like his music and soundscapes when part of the entire experience (movie), but yes, certainly bombastic.

The one main lead violinist (the Asian one) is Anne Marie Simpson, the one on Steve Vai's Where the Wild Things Are DVD (as Anne Marie Calhoun). She's got chops on top of chops. She's a marquis lead player that deserves the spotlight.

Further googling - Tina Guo, the cellist, has iMDB soundtrack credits going back to 2007.

Therefore I think it's "hand-picked" ...from people in the industry, that he's worked with a lot, and were available.

The two female percs had chops. Nothing really suspicious there.

Anyway if it was at all deliberate, then he had to do something to make the place look less like mortuary school for having Johnny Marr onstage. He's really giving Keith Richards a run for his money in the "died 25 years ago and no one told him" department.

If you look carefully there were a number of frumpy hausfrau senior type womenfolk and old geezer dudes in the orchestra as well.

I used to love Zimmer but......eh...then I did some digging.

Zimmer runs Remote Control studios. They have a HUGE amount of composers working there. A lot of "Zimmer" is actually ghost-written for him by one of the composers who works there.

Zimmer is basically a PR guy who gets all the soundtrack deals, then farms them out to his studio. Often if you do a little bit of digging, you can find out who actually wrote which piece of music, but on the surface it's usually just attributed to Zimmer which is a tad dishonest.

He also hires people from big synth companies (EG: U-He) to make his synth patches for him.

He's not an asshole. He's given a fair few people good opportunities in soundtrack composing.

However, his studio does pretty much all the soundtracks for anything that comes out of Hollywood, so he's kinda...monopolised the industry a fair bit too.

So unfortunately, it's questionable when listening to the music, how much of it Zimmer was actually responsible for.

It's still awesome music and done awesomely well...but...eh....

Not that they're not the best at what they do...
I don't think Zimmer or Elfman know how to orchestrate themselves

John Williams can and does- but may not have his hands on it 100% of the time... he gets a lot of help.

The film industry is one that has to support basically an entire population, which they do by churning out Marvel movie after remake after reboot and the occasional original piece of work. I'm neither surprised nor concerned that someone would find a way to maximize the business side of soundtrack production. That's the way everything goes. You're either the guy that has the vision to do that or you're working for him (or her). C'est la vie and xing loi.

Reactions: H13
The film industry is one that has to support basically an entire population, which they do by churning out Marvel movie after remake after reboot and the occasional original piece of work. I'm neither surprised nor concerned that someone would find a way to maximize the business side of soundtrack production. That's the way everything goes. You're either the guy that has the vision to do that or you're working for him (or her). C'est la vie and xing loi.

Agreed, and when you see how "prolific" he is, he'd have to have been a savant to be writing as much music as he supposedly does.

It just bummed me out a bit to find out that he isn't as responsible for the music that has his name attached to it as it seems. The music is still awesome though.

Agreed, and when you see how "prolific" he is, he'd have to have been a savant to be writing as much music as he supposedly does.

It just bummed me out a bit to find out that he isn't as responsible for the music that has his name attached to it as it seems. The music is still awesome though.

Minimally he has to be producing… There’s such a signature sound his work that he’s got to be involved at some fundamental level.

Back
Top Bottom