AFIII "Hangar 18" first couple solos

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
So a couple years ago now I recorded a cover of Hangar 18 from Megadeth and did all the guitars using a backing track I found on youtube. I never got around(at the time) to filming anything, and one of my students just asked me to, so I made a quick playthrough of the first section of solos for him and decided to share. You can find those presets and listen to the whole cover here if you're interested https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/megadeth-“hangar-18”.138942/post-1647546.

Great job. These solos have always been high up un my list of awesomeness. If anyone can reproduce and explain how Marty does his distinctive slurs I’d be interested. Always seemed like some kind of voodoo.

If anyone can reproduce and explain how Marty does his distinctive slurs I’d be interested. Always seemed like some kind of voodoo.

Is there a certain point in a song you're wondering about? Bending stuff or general picking approach?

He actually does a couple bend things in the first Hangar 18 lead differently from OP's recording. The first F note is fretted while holding the previous bend. Near the end a G note is bent from F# after a G-F pull-off.

pVX3QuY.png

Dude, you ROCK!

As always, awesome job!!!
Thanks so much!
Great job. These solos have always been high up un my list of awesomeness. If anyone can reproduce and explain how Marty does his distinctive slurs I’d be interested. Always seemed like some kind of voodoo.
I definitely just do whatever is most comfortable for me. As Bakerman said above (and trust me he knows what he's talking about), I'm not doing what Marty does, just what worked for me. His phrasing is so weird and just awesome. You can find audio of just Marty's tracks here, it's really interesting to hear

The first of the round of leads after second chorus. The slur at 2:26 In the below link. I think it’s just a prebend before the note is sounded but the way Marty does it just seems like unobtainium.

BTW, I am in no way knocking your cover! This little nuance is just something that’s been bugging me for years because I can’t make it sound like he does.

The first of the round of leads after second chorus. The slur at 2:26 In the below link. I think it’s just a prebend before the note is sounded but the way Marty does it just seems like unobtainium.

BTW, I am in no way knocking your cover! This little nuance is just something that’s been bugging me for years because I can’t make it sound like he does.

Yeah the way he does it is just so strange(to me at least). I definitely don't have his phrasing down, so don't worry, I never took it as you knocking my cover. His note choice, bends, vibrato, phrasing etc are just genius in my opinion.

That's an Eb prebent to F, release to Eb & bend again to E. It might help to focus on dropping to Eb quickly, then bending up again a bit slower. It's pretty much a 16th note rhythm though.

1mRga10.png

Academically speaking, I follow. But can you make it sound right? I would love to see it in a vid if you have the time

The idea that you show of targeting 3 different notes during the one slur is interesting. Maybe that’s what I’ve been missing. i will see if that helps. I have to say though that Marty’s slurs are so musical and cool. I had given up on them but motivated to dig in again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom