Wish Hand size Axe?

If you want something very compact, just go buy a HX Stomp. It's a great sounding unit.

Marvel Is It Though GIF - Marvel IsItThough Thor GIFs

From a hardware savings perspective, what if the FM0 had no editing capability....could that make the unit much smaller (with today's tech)?
Meaning, you do all editing on a computer, and upload your preset to your FM0.....
Yes, you're stuck with your presets when at a gig....but even in a pinch, I don't think I could edit my AX8 presets on the fly. The user interface (IMO) is awful to navigate. So let's dump the UI and just have a 'preset player' device.

I wouldn't even care if it was an 'add on' to owning an AxeIII. So you buy the AxeIII (so you can edit/shape presets), then render an output file to upload the the FM0.

If I was fractal I would always stick to hardware. Software will be hacked, no matter how hard you try to prevent that. Even Norton and other hack-and virus protection programmes are hacked and shared.

From a hardware savings perspective, what if the FM0 had no editing capability....could that make the unit much smaller (with today's tech)?
Meaning, you do all editing on a computer, and upload your preset to your FM0.....
Yes, you're stuck with your presets when at a gig....but even in a pinch, I don't think I could edit my AX8 presets on the fly. The user interface (IMO) is awful to navigate. So let's dump the UI and just have a 'preset player' device.

I wouldn't even care if it was an 'add on' to owning an AxeIII. So you buy the AxeIII (so you can edit/shape presets), then render an output file to upload the the FM0.
TC Electronics has had pretty good success with their tone print pedals that have have an accompanying app that serves as the user interface. That makes it possible to put far more sophisticated processing in the pedal than if they were constrained by a front panel interface. If you look around at digital devices today, that's obviously a growing trend.

You could edit on the fly, you just havent put the time in.

A "preset player" wouldnt be of any use - something will likely need adjusting at any gig.

Yes it could be smaller. The controls and I/O determine a lot of the sizing. I would not mind having a dumb DSP + I/O box and having to use Axe-Edit for all editing.

That said, in its current form Fractal's system is not suited for this. It needs way better support for MIDI knob controllers and could use an official mobile app similar to Fracpad to offer desktop and mobile editing capabilities so you don't need to haul a laptop around to configure anything.

You could edit on the fly, you just havent put the time in.

A "preset player" wouldnt be of any use - something will likely need adjusting at any gig.
Then you're not spending enough time dialing in on good monitors.
I haven't spent time learning the UI on the AX8, mainly because I don't need to.
Even with Axe Ultra, Axe 2 and Axe III, I have never had to adjust my presets at a gig.
If they sound bright through the PA....then that is a result of the PA. Quick Eq on the channel fixes it.

It’s doable if you exclude one dimension, i.e., a palm sized circuit board, but 10 of them stacked vertically…viola! a palm sized AFX3.

Would love an FM0 option - no effects, just amps. Sizing similar to the Walrus ACS1 and the Iridium, no footswitch. Bypassing can be controlled by MIDI or by another external simple switch. Super-simple UI (gain, volume, treble, bass, mid, button for changing presets). Deeper editing through app or computer, either through USB or even better, bluetooth (the Eventide H9 worked well in this regard, although I thought the app itself was a bit lacking). I could get onboard with a unit that didn't carry any knobs at all if it had a bluetooth integration that worked good with a well-thought out app.

Have had the HX Stomp, Iridium and currently the ACS1, but I'm really hoping for a small-sized Fractal that only carry some amps.

why does an FM3 need footswitches when you have FCs w/faslink and footswitch input jacks both
Great question. I thought about putting my FM3 behind me and using my FC6 in front. It's easier to lug around than the Axe 3.
I guess the answer would be - if there were no footswitches, how much smaller could it be? If it cut the unit size by the amount of the current footswitch area....I'd love that. I'd have it behind me with my vocal wireless....run a XLR out to the FC 6.

It's not about "can't." It's about "won't." Fractal has been clear that they won't compromise modeling quality to fit a certain size or budget.
^THIS^

And…
Cliff says:
The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products.

The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four.

All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure.

This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation.

Lots of speculation about what Fractal can or can't do.
So I'll just state I have no idea if they can or can't. None.

I like the idea, though. A travel size unit with a couple amps and one footswitch would be awesome. Something the size of a Polytune Mini.

Right- all good points - so until then how about a great sounding hand unit with a few clean / dirty presets - a bit more than fender micro you can take to the motel
If people are willing to give up the sound quality they could make it the size of a cell-phone, but limit the request with "great sounding" and that implies the quality we currently enjoy which requires something the size of the FM3 after adding the CPU+DSP plus all the glue chips, memory, USB, fan, etc. and sticking them on a board. If all people want is portability and some sounds for practicing with headphones then Garageband and the like on a phone are more than adequate.

Since this thread is in the FX3 sub-forum, it seems there's an assumption this gizmo would have the CPU and DSP power of the FX3 but the FX3 requires forced-air cooling and a number of additional chips beyond what the smaller FM* units have. Stick that CPU power into something the size of a phone and it'd freeze up in seconds from overheating, or would cause blisters if you touched it, the battery life would be absurdly short… physics can't be ignored, at least not for very long.

Besides my phone, I have an FM3+FC6 for travel, and designed a great bag with Studio Slips for it. People can find the bag on their website or by searching the FM3 sub-forum where I wrote about it. It won't fit in my pocket, but it's easy to carry, fits above or below the seats on a plane, sounds great, can be used live through the FOH system or silently in a room. I went this way because I want that sound and I wanted something now, not years in the future when they've managed to shoehorn a FX3 into a chip, provide its own solid-state cooling and power it with a drop of alcohol.

Fractal isn't a big company, they're competing with some big companies with much deeper pockets, mostly relying on word-of-mouth, and they're still beating the others with their quality and sound. To do it they work really smart. They don't indulge in devices that they can't justify designing. Part reuse is a mantra and you can see it when you look at the designs of the FM3/FM9/FC6/FC12 and even the FX3; they use common components and chassis to avoid wasting effort and money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom