Half-way wah sound that I can never EQ out of high-gain tones

Sorenspete

Inspired
Hey guys,

Have had this issue for awhile now. I have some habits when it comes to making high-gain patches, and I've tried narrowing down whether they're culpable.

• I always place a PEQ (Parametric EQ) block before the output and block 80 & 8,000 hz 36db/octave.
  • I always place a drive block pretty much immediately after the input and set the level to 10. I have tried setting it lower but it doesn't really help. I have also tried EQ-ing the drive block itself to no avail.
  • I tend to use the Mark style EQ in the amp block's output EQ section. 6, -4, -5-6, 3, 1.10
  • In terms of cabs I have the proximity set in the ballpark of 3.5-4.0. My low cut is usually at 80 and the high cut is usually at 8,000. I've messed with the EQ on the cab (bass, mid, treble) and it hasn't really helped the issue.
See my signature for my setup. And no my tone isn't turned down and it doesn't seem like my tone pot is malfunctioning...

Cheers,

Has this been a rapid change or a slow noticing of it? The former could be some setting, while the latter could be your ears or tastes changing.

Have you tried a few barebones presets (AMP->CAB with both reset) to see if is sounds like a cocked-wah before all the tweaks?

To get better feedback from the community post a preset and ideally also a sound clip.

Without a preset all I can suggest is turning the OD off. It’s pushing mids so you’re gonna sound more honky with it on.
It's less of a "honky because too many mids" thing and more of a "not enough of a certain high-mid frequency" but I just can't figure out what frequency it is! :veryconfused:

Hi

Try getting rid of that scooped EQ.
You may find that the recent firmware updates have the amps sounding great without needing scooped EQs.

Thansk
Pauly
Hey guys,

Have had this issue for awhile now. I have some habits when it comes to making high-gain patches, and I've tried narrowing down whether they're culpable.

• I always place a PEQ (Parametric EQ) block before the output and block 80 & 8,000 hz 36db/octave.
  • I always place a drive block pretty much immediately after the input and set the level to 10. I have tried setting it lower but it doesn't really help. I have also tried EQ-ing the drive block itself to no avail.
  • I tend to use the Mark style EQ in the amp block's output EQ section. 6, -4, -5-6, 3, 1.10
  • In terms of cabs I have the proximity set in the ballpark of 3.5-4.0. My low cut is usually at 80 and the high cut is usually at 8,000. I've messed with the EQ on the cab (bass, mid, treble) and it hasn't really helped the issue.
See my signature for my setup. And no my tone isn't turned down and it doesn't seem like my tone pot is malfunctioning...

Cheers,

I've noticed certain amps in my own tweaked factory presets can sound like what I think you're describing. Like, I hear it right away when I switch between the SLO to a JP2C. So maybe try inserting a different amp, of a similar gain, into your preset...? Just a thought I had.

Your cuts are a bit steep IMHO. Such steep slopes will sound a bit unnatural, and totally kill your high end. Try 12 dB / octave instead, it will open up your sound.

Back
Top Bottom