Half step drop??

If you're playing with high gain, I think the digital artifacts get masked pretty well to the point where no one can't tell if you're using a digital detuner or actually detuning. But with mid-gain and cleans, yeah it's pretty obvious that nothing out yet is quite perfect.

Ya, I was hoping for a solution that was spot on or super close but I guess I'm dreaming. Drop tuned guitar it is.
This.

When you drop-tune a guitar, you're just changing the pitch of the strings. But when you use a pitch shifter, you're also shifting the resonances of your guitar itself, giving it a different voice.

Plus, you're choking back the acoustic resonance when, for instance, that low D note from the cab hits a string that's actually tuned to D. A pitch shifter can never sound the same as an up- or down-tuned guitar.

This.

When you drop-tune a guitar, you're just changing the pitch of the strings. But when you use a pitch shifter, you're also shifting the resonances of your guitar itself, giving it a different voice.

Plus, you're choking back the acoustic resonance when, for instance, that low D note from the cab hits a string that's actually tuned to D. A pitch shifter can never sound the same as an up- or down-tuned guitar.

I use this block because we have one tune (currently) with my band that I play in D so that our singer can sing it. For one tune in a band setting, it gets the job done and beats bringing a second (third really) guitar. The alternative to me really is something like the Tronical tuners that work well but it takes me about 30s to retune, and once you start you can't stop so tuning always take 30s. If we start playing more songs in alternate tunings, I will likely go back to a guitar with tronicals instead but for one tune, this block is the easiest solution.

I have found that in the occasions, where I need to play in D, I can sometimes get away with just using drop D rather than retuning the whole guitar.

As a new owner of the AX8, I have not tried the pitch shift feature. I have however, owned Roland GK3 synth gear for about 3 years now, with my current pedal being a GP10. Ideally, I want to use my GP10 for alternate tuning as well as guitar models. I would use no amp models on the Boss and send the L/Mono OUT into the input of the AX8. Not sure of the result but love the AX8 tones and the flexibility of the Boss GP10. When special tunings are not needed, then I would use the AX8 without the monster GK3 cable. Hope to try this in the next couple of weeks and wonder if anyone else has tried this. Would this be a better alternative to the pitch shift on the AX8 and not just more flexible?

Back
Top Bottom