Hair metal tone tutorial

Axe-Master
Ratt, Dokken, Skid Row, Winger...there were some pretty great recorded guitar tones in the 80s hair metal era (and plenty of terrible ones) but there were a few common ingredients that the Axe more than capably handles. I put this together after getting a lot of requests and being a big 80s metal fan it was super fun to do!

Patch is on Axechange if you'd like to try it, or you can follow the steps in the vid with your favourite amps and dial to taste!

omg the tone sounds so good, it's so gawdam crunchy with all the little pixie shards getting smashed to pieces in the top without any painful spiky undesirables :eek: the 90s was a mistake, we need to go back!

Sounds great. I hear a little clipping now and then. Are you using USB for recording or an interface?

Sounds killer
I actually liked the Lynchback and
Greenback better
For this tone
Was that the New York GB checker??

Great as always Leon!

Just as a note, I too heard some clipping (not the type you were intending to dial, ;) ) during some of the recording. fyi

Let me be the first to say - great video. ..... or the 2nd , or ...

You do a hell of a job Leon. Thanks for posting !

Sounds great. I hear a little clipping now and then. Are you using USB for recording or an interface?

USB. I'll check the preset and the files I recorded to see where the clipping is, I suspect I may have turned something up in post too far.

EDIT: Yep, as I suspected it's a mistake in post on my end when adjusting the level of my voice and the guitars. No clipping in the raw waveforms that I can see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom