Had to reboot FM9 both gigs

It is bit strange that it already freezes with anything over 80%! Never had that with my Axe fx II. I can go to 90% or more without freezing.
The percentage is a somewhat arbitrary number presented to us to get a ball-park idea of how the CPU is doing. The metrics or algorithm changed for the current generation, and somewhere Cliff talked about the reasoning for the change but I can't remember where. For now there's CPU usage in the Wiki which touches on this.

I’m really not a power user but my AX8 gets a good amount of abuse and never had a freeze. Hopefully dialing those presets back a little helped.

My FM9 has frozen at practice a few times. I haven't figured out what is going on but it is solved with a reboot. In these instances, I was using it for effects only with CPU between 50-60%.

The other odd thing that happened is that my wah switched to auto engage vs. the toe switch I configured on my Mission pedal. Until this happens again, I'm going to write it off as user error.

Have a few presets over 85%. Never blocked my FM3. The unit blocks when I have a computer connected :
On windows time out (always) when I leave and continue the computer running for several hours
When having two interfaces connected like for example cubase and Fm3 edit (sometimes)

My main preset uses 8 scenes with 3 amp models , i spent the last couple hours eliminating 2nd reverb as well as eliminating the Plex delay , i am now at 68% +/- hopefully that will rectify the problem ,thank you
If it’s the plex blk that pushed you over put it back in and try lowering the cab from hi res to standard for that scene if it wasn’t already. That should free you the cpu needed. Like chris mentioned the reverb has a dedicated processor so it wouldn’t be that.

I've been using Fractal since 2016 : Love their products; However last night i did 2 travel gigs with FM9 ; Both nights i had to reboot unit during the shows
because it stopped working I had the same problem with AX 8 .....
Not saying you aren't having issues, but I have been trouble free after 3 gigs with mine.

The percentage is a somewhat arbitrary number presented to us to get a ball-park idea of how the CPU is doing. The metrics or algorithm changed for the current generation, and somewhere Cliff talked about the reasoning for the change but I can't remember where. For now there's CPU usage in the Wiki which touches on this.

So 80 is the new 90? If its an arbitrary number then it would make sense to have the limit at 90 or 95 or so.

I am having similar issues of having to reboot my FM9. Sometimes the first button stops working all together...won't respond to tapping it. Rebooting fixes the problem. Is this a firmware issue?

I am having similar issues of having to reboot my FM9. Sometimes the first button stops working all together...won't respond to tapping it. Rebooting fixes the problem. Is this a firmware issue?
It’s more likely you are way over the CPU limit on that preset.

The #1 priority for the modeler is to keep the sound quality as high as possible. Other tasks are at lower priority and might not be processed as often when the CPU is under a heavy load.

Read CPU usage for more information.

It’s more likely you are way over the CPU limit on that preset.

The #1 priority for the modeler is to keep the sound quality as high as possible. Other tasks are at lower priority and might not be processed as often when the CPU is under a heavy load.

Read CPU usage for more information.
Right on, thanks for the insight. I do tend to maximize my patches so that might be exactly the case.

So as someone waiting for an FM9 invite who has never had a Fractal device...

Is there a way for me to estimate CPU usage needs (or could you just estimate it here?)

My main rig would be like: amp/cab, ir, high res reverb, delay, a pure boost, and a compressor.

Would having all the effects on be near the 80% mark? I really want high-quality reverbs, not a compromise. I can't afford an FX3 though.

Thanks.

Reactions: rog
I've been using Fractal since 2016 : Love their products; However last night i did 2 travel gigs with FM9 ; Both nights i had to reboot unit during the shows
because it stopped working I had the same problem with AX 8 .....
What version of the firmware were you using ?

Is there a way for me to estimate CPU usage needs (or could you just estimate it here?)

My main rig would be like: amp/cab, ir, high res reverb, delay, a pure boost, and a compressor.

Would having all the effects on be near the 80% mark? I really want high-quality reverbs, not a compromise. I can't afford an FX3 though.

Thanks.
Not likely to be even close to 80%.

The Amps run on a dedicated core. The Reverbs run on a dedicated core. The Delays run on a dedicated core. There's very little CPU required for those because of that.

So your blocks that would count against the CPU would be Cab (with IR), Drive or Filter (depending on what you mean by "pure boost" and Compressor. Plus Input/Output blocks.

I would guess you'd be easily less than 50%...

No, not with what you told us. In all humility and embarrassment, we have absolutely no way of estimating what you will try because we couldn’t estimate what we’d try. Honestly, every one of us did stupid things as we built our first presets and we’d run into CPU warnings. Again, and again, but maybe not again because that was “those people”.

Sh’yah, until you get the unit. :)

A basic rig will easily fit in a FM3, though, without having heard the difference between high res reverb and economy, I don’t know why you’d try to specify that. Economy is excellent for normal/live use IMO. But either way that should fit without a problem. But like kids in candy stores we run amuck, crash into something, and get told that won’t do, but the Fractal is benevolent and will let you try again.

On an FM9? You’ll have to try harder than that to break it. That’d fit easily into an FM3. I didn’t test it, but I’d expect that sort of preset would fit with a lot of room to spare. Mine are a lot more complex and they fit inside an FM3 without problems.

But, seriously, without hearing what sort of reverb Fractal includes, you shouldn’t try to say “high quality”. They take no prisoners, especially on the FM9. The “economy” reverb is great for live work. “Normal” is great for accompanied studio work, and above that you are into “I can’t tell the difference”.

No, not with what you told us. In all humility and embarrassment, we have absolutely no way of estimating what you will try because we couldn’t estimate what we’d try. Honestly, every one of us did stupid things as we built our first presets and we’d run into CPU warnings. Again, and again, but maybe not again because that was “those people”.

Sh’yah, until you get the unit. :)

A basic rig will easily fit in a FM3, though, without having heard the difference between high res reverb and economy, I don’t know why you’d try to specify that. Economy is excellent for normal/live use IMO. But either way that should fit without a problem. But like kids in candy stores we run amuck, crash into something, and get told that won’t do, but the Fractal is benevolent and will let you try again.

On an FM9? You’ll have to try harder than that to break it. That’d fit easily into an FM3. I didn’t test it, but I’d expect that sort of preset would fit with a lot of room to spare. Mine are a lot more complex and they fit inside an FM3 without problems.

But, seriously, without hearing what sort of reverb Fractal includes, you shouldn’t try to say “high quality”. They take no prisoners, especially on the FM9. The “economy” reverb is great for live work. “Normal” is great for accompanied studio work, and above that you are into “I can’t tell the difference”.

Thanks for the response. I specified that since I only play through headphones, and a good reverb goes a long way there. But you may be right that the normal one is good enough.

I would actually like to be able to try out the FullRez IRs for this reason, but as I said, I can't afford the FX3.

I had the same issue with mine the other day. Bottom right 2 buttons wouldn’t respond, others were fine. I rebooted and all was well again. But definitely had me scratching my head.

Thanks.
My fm9 chain has comp, drive, amp, cab, rotary, Trem, plex, filter, two reverb blocks, two delay blocks, and a vol block. Verbs all hi res, same w stereo cabs. I’m 72-76% depending on my channels.

You’re safe. Lol

Back
Top Bottom