Had my first outdoor gig with FW7

jsletner

Experienced
Ok so I’ve been running FW7 since the beta came out and it just keeps blowing me away.

I’ve been using it at band practice and in my home office/studio where I can turn it up a fair amount and it sounds great.

I know a lot of people are happy with it, but some find that it takes a little tweaking to get their sound when used with their particular system. For me it takes almost no adjustment.

I’ve downloaded all the TMA patches that FractalAudio has put up on Axechange. If it’s the type of sound I like which is somewhere between clean and cranking rock tones, not super high gain stuff I find that with my system and my ear it needs no adjusting at all.

So last night I had my first (outdoor) gig with FW7 and I was running pretty loud. I run my Strat wireless and always go out front to see how the sound is. I found that one of my patches I use for SRV blues type stuff (Vibroverb) which I have found to be passable in my studio at medium volume sounded like crap outside at a distance. No problem I switched to the DrZ TMA from Axechange and I was in tone Nirvana. I used it the rest of the night for all the low gain to crunch stuff and without a doubt it was by a large margin the best sound I’ve ever had. Better than my Marshall, better than my 64 SuperReverb, better than my Lonestar or my Suhr Badger. Better than any of my tube amps by far.

I also used a patch I’ve created with the Buttery model for higher gain stuff and another one I created with the Dumble model for smooth jazz stuff and both were excellent.

The Buttery and the DrZ were just over the top good though. They both reacted magically to volume changes on the guitar. Note separation was wonderful and the pick attack was incredible. I wish I could describe it better. I found myself playing all kinds of percussive figures that I wouldn’t normally because they just popped so nicely. Makes we want to start a funk band.

I know this sounds like hyperbole but it really happened for me. I’m actually a little afraid of upgrading to the next firmware because I don’t want anything to change.

Meanwhile back at home today I’m setting up my rig outside (I live out in the country) so I can turn it up again and find out what patches work at high volume from a distance of 30' to 50’, which ones don’t and which ones may just need a little adjusting.

So far I’m also loving the AFD100, the Div/13, the Matchless, SuperTweed and the Morgan. I haven’t really found any bad sounds just sounds that I don’t know how to use yet. I guess I’m lucky that I like a variety of tones, because the AxeFxII FW7 is the perfect device for somebody with my particular tastes.

I believe FractalAudio has completely changed the game.

So many sounds so little time.

I hope I didn’t ramble too much but I’m emotionally hung-over from the experience.

Edit: I should mention that the SRV Vibroverb patch I didn't like I had created prior to FW7

Last edited:
I just came from my biggest in this year open air show (huge PA and great stage monitoring)..When I turned my Axe FxII on , and made some sound check with my band,for the first time in my Axe Fx history, I even didn't think about switching my power amp and cab on(no cab simulation on my out 2) ! The sound from my out 1 with cab simulations was so great on stage ! FW7 is ubelivable good :)..Now I'm even more ready and confident to switch completely to FRFR...I will check this week my new RCFNX12SMA after they will arrive..Keep my fingers crossed :)

Back
Top Bottom