Had a glitch yesterday.

muttonhead

Inspired
Yesterday, I was setting up to play at a friend"s B-day party. I play pedal steel through my AxeFx2 and guitar through Axe8. After getting things set up, tuned my guitar and hit the tuner button to play and got no sound. LED's for input were not showing anything. Tried restarting a couple of times, but no go. Played using a patch for guitar and one for steel next to each other to get through.
When I got home, I turned on the AX8 and checked the output meter on the LCD screen, it showed signal was happening. I checked the input and output meters in the LCD screen and they showed input and output signal, still no audio out. The Exit button was not moving or causing any change to parameters when depressed, so I disassembled the AX8 and cleaned off the buttons, as they had a bit of dirt/dust accumulated on them, and got the buttons working as they should. After reassembling the unit, I went to the input level page and saw that the input level was set to -18db of attenuation. I was still not getting any audio out until I rotated the pot to change the amount of attenuation, then the unit started sending audio out! Yay!
I've been playing through the AX8 today, and have had no problems.

Hopefully you have it fixed with the buttons cleaned. How dirty does your rig get? Does it get really dusty on the out side or just a little. Mine gets a little dusty but if dirt is getting on the inside I will start covering it when transporting and or not in use.

It's a bit dusty. It lives in a ATA brief case when not in use or on the way to a gig. I did go over the amp control area with a few q-tips to clean out most of the dust/dirt that had accumulated in there.

It's a bit dusty. It lives in a ATA brief case when not in use or on the way to a gig. I did go over the amp control area with a few q-tips to clean out most of the dust/dirt that had accumulated in there.
How much of a hassle was it to disassemble the AX8 and clean it? Fairly difficult or fairly easy? I had an outdoor gig where there was a lot of dust on stage. Thinking of cleaning it out with some canned air, but I don't want to do it if it's a really long and difficult process.

It was not too much of a hassle. 6-10 screws to get the chassis apart and then 8 screws to get the enter/exit button board out. Might have been a few knobs to take off as well. With canned air, you might be able to get the buttons cleaned without disassembly. I'd try that first, if you have the canned air.

Yeah, that might be possible. But I would like to get the dust out of the AX8, not just shift it around in there. Perhaps I can just remove the two side boards and get the dust out by blowing with canned air in to one side and out the other.

It's a closed box, why do you think it'll collect dust inside?
The buttons have been stuck for me as well, after dusty gig. I managed to just wiggle them loose and working again, so it's all good. Thread just got me thinking. But yeah, it's probably nothing.

Back
Top Bottom