1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Guys this is insane (18 watt tone match)

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Tone Match' started by alphahot1, Feb 4, 2018.

1. alphahot1

alphahot1
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

I mean maybe you already have the Axe so it's nothing new... I just bought an Axe-Fx 2, I could say a million things but I wanted to recreate the tone of my hand wired (by me : ) ) 18watt amp with NOS tubes... I was almost sad thinking that I would not use it anymore because I love that amp.
    I spent a good afternoon matching the tone with a reactive load box, and finally it's there. I played this amp a lot, I know how it responds, and the axe has the same feeling :D I'm amazed :D
    I have some recordings but it's the tone out of the guitar cabinet that amazes me (I matched the raw tone)
    I can share the patch if you like!
    Glad to be part of this community finally!!

gittarzann, I I I, SHEPPARD and 8 others like this.
  2. chumbucket

chumbucket
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Welcome!
    We'd love to hear the A/B comparison recording as well as check out the patch.

alphahot1 and Gregmang like this.
  3. Jvstrat

Jvstrat
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I’d love to check out the preset and would love to see you demo it.

alphahot1 likes this.
  4. alphahot1

alphahot1
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

I'm glad this is of interest :D I built the 18 Watt Lite IIb (from the 18watt.com community) few years ago, it features 1 12AX7 pre tube, 1 12AX7 phase inverter and 2 EL84 for the power amp. It's a no-master volume amp. It's almost stock except for separated bias cap and resistors on the pre tube (one half is biased cold and the other hot). Also the power amp bias is hotter because the tubes I used are military spec.
    There is a '59 pre tube and a '60 pi tube (they should be silvanya and rca). The power tubes are the mighty saratov from the '80s.
    Here it is:
    DSC01604_ps.JPG

For the tone match I used a reactive load box in the loop and I captured both the signal at the same time. After I tried pink and white noise I had the best tone match using chords on the guitar. I matched the raw signal from the amp so it sounds good with a real cabinet! (but with any IR too!)
    I used a dr.z 38 which sounded almost identical already. The amp had its volume at half (12'), I think thats the best position, it cleans up beautifully with single coils.

Here is the demo, first it's neck splitted coil, then middle split coil with volume rolled off, in the end it's bridge humbuckers.
    There are 2 phrases repeated, you guess which is the real amp :D

I didn't optimize the preset it to sound good, just to match the raw amp. I also used a mesa free ownhammer IR for the demo (which I didn't include in the preset of course). You can find it on axe-change, search for "18 watt" (I still couldn't post link in the forum)

On a side note, have you ever felt nostalgia because you know you are kind of abandoning your real amp? I know it's crazy but still... :D

mojave, muttonhead, Jvstrat and 2 others like this.
  5. reini

reini
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Sounds pretty cool - will search for the patch on axe-change in a minute. THX for sharing!!

alphahot1 likes this.
  6. alphahot1

alphahot1
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Thanks! If you want the exact same tone of the demo you need a the ownhammer free mesa cab, I used the oh1f-m+ quickstart :D

BillyZeppa likes this.
  7. Burn Witch Burn

Burn Witch Burn
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Ey that first part of your sound clip reminds me of Link Wray. Would be a great tone for that kind of stuff!

I know what you mean about the amp. I've got my old partner in crime gathering dust in the corner - an AC-30 I bought new in LA a few years back. It sounds like sacrilege but I'm an Axe guy now. There are several AC-30s in the Axe plus some Vox-style factory IRs (and a third party Cab pack I bought). Plus the versatility of the Axe just put me in a whole other universe of sonic possibilities. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. ...I might have to dust off that Vox and put it on ebay!

alphahot1 likes this.
  8. Wigam2

Wigam2
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

If i were to make a guess, it would be purely a coin flip. Sounds great, well done!

alphahot1 likes this.
  9. alphahot1

alphahot1
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Oh it was just the first riff in E that came out of my head! I have to check them!!
    I feel you :D I still thinking about putting up a minimal tube rig, 4 pedals and a amp head. After all my head weights only 6 kg it's lighter than the axe + power amp!

Thanks!! I agree, I can tell you now that the real amp is on the second take, you can hear more floor noise if you listen closely. Also I could add a bit more gain : ) I love how it sounds and plays!!!

Burn Witch Burn likes this.
  10. SHEPPARD

SHEPPARD
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Nice work!

alphahot1 likes this.
  11. FTR-greg

FTR-greg
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

heck yes, very nice match! thanks for sharing your "baby"!

12. AndyOrr

AndyOrr
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I spent a couple of years gigging an 18W Marshall 1974X with a Greenback and a Strat. That sounded very familiar.

13. playingitloud

playingitloud
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

I really liked the 1st take the best in the recording, so thank you for this demo reminder of the awesomeness of the AXE FX :)

And I thought the real amp was on the 1st take, lol.