Guys running IEM - how do you route?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Does your FOH have the same things or do you split off and make "magic happen" for your in ears? Any screen prints and explanations, would be great as I'm completely new to the IEM. Thanks!

This is how we run our IEMs:

We use a Behringer X32 Rack along with 2 ART S8 splitters. Everyone mixes their own ears via wifi / the X32 Q app. We plug all our mics and line outs into the splitter. One side goes the X32, the other side goes to a 30ft 16 channel snake in the back of the rack case that runs to FOH's stage box. We provide phantom power. In the event that FOH is set on using their own equipment, the X32 can be set to route monitor mixes generated by FOH (plugged in to the splitter) directly to the appropriate IEM transmitter.

Here's a signal flow diagram I came up with when I was planning this out.
vMQOAvg.png

The Focusrite interface is used to provide extra mic preamps that don't need to go to FOH (i.e. audience mics) and also receives a monitor mix from the X32 for our drummer, who uses wired IEMs. You can set a custom routing config on the Focusrite and then store it as default, so it automatically follows your routing config without any computer / human interaction. The DBX DriveRack is just for when we use this as our FOH rig (speaker calibration, feedback suppression, etc)
J7KjELL.jpg

A pic of the rear (before loading it up with our USB hub and additional transmitters). UFO looking thing is the WiFi access point. It's got a nice amount of extra cable and is secured with velcro so we can remove it from the rack and place it elsewhere if necessary.
e364AfG.jpg

Hope this helps!!

We use a Behringer X32 Rack along with 2 ART S8 splitters. Everyone mixes their own ears via wifi / the X32 Q app. We plug all our mics and line outs into the splitter. One side goes the X32, the other side goes to a 30ft 16 channel snake in the back of the rack case that runs to FOH's stage box. We provide phantom power. In the event that FOH is set on using their own equipment, the X32 can be set to route monitor mixes generated by FOH (plugged in to the splitter) directly to the appropriate IEM transmitter.

vMQOAvg.png

The Focusrite interface is used to provide extra mic preamps that don't need to go to FOH (i.e. audience mics) and also receives a monitor mix from the X32 for our drummer, who uses wired IEMs. You can set a custom routing config on the Focusrite and then store it as default, so it automatically follows your routing config without any computer / human interaction. The DBX DriveRack is just for when we use this as our FOH rig (speaker calibration, feedback suppression, etc)
J7KjELL.jpg

A pic of the rear (before loading it up with our USB hub and additional transmitters). UFO looking thing is the WiFi access point. It's got a nice amount of extra cable and is secured with velcro so we can remove it from the rack and place it elsewhere if necessary.
e364AfG.jpg

Hope this helps!!
Appreciate it. But was more meaning the routing of the signal chain within the Axe FX. Should have specified and sorry. Basically are there key things you apply to make the in ears sound better? Does this differ from what you send to FOH?

I send the same signal to FOH as I get in my in-ears. I have the option of a little extra verb from the mixer in the in-ears, but I never use it.

I send the same signal to FOH as I get in my in-ears. I have the option of a little extra verb from the mixer in the in-ears, but I never use it.
How do you dial in the patches for FOH use? Use the same speaker as the FOH tops?

How do you dial in the patches for FOH use? Use the same speaker as the FOH tops?
I did a rough EQ match between my backline, a Matrix Q12, and our normal FOH, SRM450s, using the EQ on Output1. This allows the EQ to compensate for both the characteristics of the different devices, and the effects of home and gig volumes. Whenever I change a patch I do it at home, at "bedroom" volume, knowing that it will translate well to FOH.

FWIW, we run our IEMs the same way as cowmaster39

I did a rough EQ match between my backline, a Matrix Q12, and our normal FOH, SRM450s, using the EQ on Output1. This allows the EQ to compensate for both the characteristics of the different devices, and the effects of home and gig volumes. Whenever I change a patch I do it at home, at "bedroom" volume, knowing that it will translate well to FOH.
How did you match? By ear? Or use an analyzer?

vMQOAvg.png

J7KjELL.jpg

e364AfG.jpg

Hope this helps!!
Hahah i knew i recognized this.

Appreciate it. But was more meaning the routing of the signal chain within the Axe FX. Should have specified and sorry. Basically are there key things you apply to make the in ears sound better? Does this differ from what you send to FOH?

I use the same signal for my ears that goes to FOH. In the X32, I might EQ my monitor send as a whole (by ear) if whatever IEMs I'm using need some sort of compensation, but otherwise, it's the same tone as what goes to FOH. If you can do stereo IEMs, I'd do that. Being able to pan things helps A TON and makes it much easier to pick out the various instruments. I dial in my tones on my studio monitors and check them with a PA and powered monitors. As long as I can hear myself in my ears, that's fine for me. Generally, if your patches sound good / balanced when you dial them in and you're using decent quality IEMs when you play live, you shouldn't have any major problems with tone

vMQOAvg.png
This is pretty much what we do for most venues, but we have TWO configs.. one where we MIX FOH and send the venue a L+R stereo feed (Diag #1), and a second where FOH is mixed by the house and we take a split (Diag #2).
Either way, we always take the X32 rack, splitter and Wireless IEM rack..
YES..!! We have TWO consoles !! The only difference between the two setups is where the "Instruments / Mics" connect to.

Diag #1

upload_2017-7-26_14-9-53.png

Diag #2.
upload_2017-7-26_14-9-24.png

Looks like I'm changing bands here soon (BL quit for family reasons), so it's not yet clear what the config with the new one is going to be.. I'm going to aim for something similar as I want to continue my 4-yr use of IEM's.

How did you match? By ear? Or use an analyzer?
By ear. With a frequency analyser you'd then have to start adjusting for mic position and distance, and room size and shape, without and without bodies ....

I've been using the SRM450s for years. We did the original EQ several years back. Earlier this month we changed to a Behringer digital desk. During the setup we recorded the band rehearsal to 12 channels in Logic, then played it back through the desk to adjust the mix. That's the first time we've been able to hear our live performance. We didn't need to touch the guitar EQ.

I use the same signal for my ears that goes to FOH. In the X32, I might EQ my monitor send as a whole (by ear) if whatever IEMs I'm using need some sort of compensation, but otherwise, it's the same tone as what goes to FOH. If you can do stereo IEMs, I'd do that. Being able to pan things helps A TON and makes it much easier to pick out the various instruments. I dial in my tones on my studio monitors and check them with a PA and powered monitors. As long as I can hear myself in my ears, that's fine for me. Generally, if your patches sound good / balanced when you dial them in and you're using decent quality IEMs when you play live, you shouldn't have any major problems with tone

Can you give me info on how you mix it stereo? Do you run an aux to the in ear monitor and blend from the aux? Or do that for rest of band and then run output 2 from Axe Fx into the 2nd in ear channel and blend?

The Behringer Powerplay Units make it possible to run a similar setup without using an X32 (but the x32 is super cool)
You can go from any mixer to the P16-I to convert the sounds to the ultranet protocoll and then send all channels via LAN to the Powerplay P16 personal mixers. These get the channels independent over the LAN Wire and let you dial in the volumes 3 band eq and panning (yes they can make it stereo) of each individual channel. Pretty cool stuff but with the x32 it get's even better because you can get the great x32 effect into your in ear too.

We use an Aviom system. I get a feed from the FOH board channel inserts to the Aviom. I can mix all of the feeds at the Aviom controller so I get the exact feed I want.

I have a lot simpler setup....

AX8 1/4" out 1 goes to the FOH
AX8 1/4" out 2 goes to the back of my IEM wireless
AX8 XLR out 1 goes to the Behringer X-Air 16 (for the rest of the band to hear my guitar)

Send 2 on the Behringer X-Air 16 goes to the back of my IEM wireless (feed from rest of the band)

My IEM mix is mostly vocals and my guitar. I use a Kindle Fire to tweak any of the levels I need on stage.

I have a lot simpler setup....

AX8 1/4" out 1 goes to the FOH
AX8 1/4" out 2 goes to the back of my IEM wireless
AX8 XLR out 1 goes to the Behringer X-Air 16 (for the rest of the band to hear my guitar)

Send 2 on the Behringer X-Air 16 goes to the back of my IEM wireless (feed from rest of the band)

My IEM mix is mostly vocals and my guitar. I use a Kindle Fire to tweak any of the levels I need on stage.

What IEM are you using?
Thanks

The Behringer Powerplay Units make it possible to run a similar setup without using an X32 (but the x32 is super cool)
You can go from any mixer to the P16-I to convert the sounds to the ultranet protocoll and then send all channels via LAN to the Powerplay P16 personal mixers. These get the channels independent over the LAN Wire and let you dial in the volumes 3 band eq and panning (yes they can make it stereo) of each individual channel. Pretty cool stuff but with the x32 it get's even better because you can get the great x32 effect into your in ear too.

We use an Aviom system. I get a feed from the FOH board channel inserts to the Aviom. I can mix all of the feeds at the Aviom controller so I get the exact feed I want.

Yeah, the powerplay system is really cool. It's pretty much exactly the same as the Aviom system. We looked into that, but decided it wasn't suited to our application. We need to be ultra-portable and be able to setup / tear down super quick. We also move around a lot on stage, so wireless ears was the obvious choice. I think if you were doing a more semi-permanent setup, or were a more established touring act (where you had a significant amount of setup time each night) the powerplay / aviom type systems make a lot of sense, particularly for your stationary players. They also give you the advantage of not having to use your other physical outputs on the x32 for monitors, since all of the audio is routed over ultranet to the powerplay mixer, and then output on the individual unit's outputs.

I've also seen people use these systems, and then feed out of the powerplay / aviom directly into wireless IEM transmitters. They keep the powerplay mixers in a convenient spot either side stage, or just off stage where members can come adjust their mixes in the middle of a show if needed. The whole Behringer ecosystem is super cool. If i were using the x32 in a studio environment, I would definitely be taking advantage of those powerplay mixers. What a world we live in. Technology is simply incredible.

Back
Top Bottom