Guthrie's New Prototype

WANT! HSH, huge SS frets, non-locking trem and a bone nut. Bolt-on neck with a nice rounded off corner for easy upper-fret reach. Birdseye maple top is "pretty, but not annoyingly pretty".

Nice guitar! Haven't been a basswood kind of guy but would definitely love to give that thing a spin. Heck... I'd try just to see that sort of non-locking trem stay in tune.

Impressive guitar. Basswood is an interesting. My JP was basswood now the custom I am getting made is Mahogany.
But this is seriously a nice guitar,good job Charvel,great detail in terms of sound.

Very nice.... I have a few Charvels and love them. Interesting....I noticed at around 3:10 or so when he flips the guitar over you can see one of those 'Tremolo-no' devices installed. I used one of those before but never did get it to work the way I liked it. I just use a brass Trem-stop ;) hah

....I noticed at around 3:10 or so when he flips the guitar over you can see one of those 'Tremolo-no' devices installed.

He used one of those on his Suhr signature model too. I have a Charvel myself , think it's a model 4A but I'm not a fan of active pickups, the frets however are very flat with hardly any crown to speak of and are really comfortable to play. You can though get a great Hendrix tone from it.

Been really curious about roasted necks, different body wood permutations, however, I don't know of a way to test these theories without building a guitar first. To do that I'd either have to acquire the skills to do the work myself or befriends a luthier, both of which cost money and time I don't have. Also, you could put a whole lot of work into designing the ULTIMATE guitar and then if you needed to sell it, you'd probably get half of what you paid to have it built; resale values of guitars are usually better when they have a logo on them unfortunately.

I find power in sticking to your guns and not fretting (not a pun) about the end all solution to equipment.

...that being said I am a proud owner of an Axe II and an MFC and constantly remind my guitar player friends that "I'm done" with traditional guitar rigs.

Been really curious about roasted necks, different body wood permutations, . . .

People have been very happy with standard maple necks etc. for years I feel it's just a way for manufacturers to be 'different' and make punters think they are missing out on something.
It's a great marketing technique, you create a requirement e.g. roasted necks, then magically you fulfill that need by supplying the very same thing.

.I noticed at around 3:10 or so when he flips the guitar over you can see one of those 'Tremolo-no' devices installed. I used one of those before but never did get it to work the way I liked it.

I still have the one from the Rasmus GG that I just sold. I had a bit of trouble setting it up but after figured it out it worked flawlessly. Trick with these is making sure the claw is 90* t the trem block other wise it binds up and doesn't return to pitch.

I personally love just about every single feature in this guitar, but I thought the sound was terrible. Maybe it was the amp? I hope the tone improves and I hope it's not outrageously priced as I would probably buy it.

People have been very happy with standard maple necks etc. for years

Considering feel and tone, you are completely right. However, in Alabama I have experienced the peaks and troughs of humidity and even with locking tuners it still affects the wood. If the science behind it checks out, who wouldn't want one over a traditional neck?

Superficially, I think it looks badass though. I am a big fan of no paint as well.

Roasted necks are more about looks than anything.
Yes the humidity stuff is important to consider but electric guitars
can last well in humid regions way more than acoustics,that is where
humidity matters the most. If you place your electric guitar in the case and don't keep
it out in the humid climate for extensive hours when you aren't playing it,you'll be fine.
Acoustic guitars take the most hit when it comes to climate changes.

In my discovery of Roasted Necks,I spoke to someone who is in the business and knows some of the
finest luthiers in the world. Juha Ruokangas from finland is a luthier who actually started the whole roasted necks
concept and it was actually his innovation. The process is called thermo treatment. What it does is crystallize the wood. For example, lets say you have a nice piece of wood that has aged 10 years. When you apply this treatment it fast forwards the aging process to what it would feel like in 50 years. Juha is the only person accurately doing this process. The roasted maple look is a really nice look but thats about it. A good luthier with a properly aged piece of wood is no different than a roasted maple neck.

People have been very happy with standard maple necks etc. for years I feel it's just a way for manufacturers to be 'different' and make punters think they are missing out on something.
It's a great marketing technique, you create a requirement e.g. roasted necks, then magically you fulfill that need by supplying the very same thing.

Well, people have been happy with the audio and vhs tape for years. I was. But I'm not too unhappy about CD, mp3 and DVD or Bluray ;)

That's not to say every neck should be roasted from now on, I'm just happy about competition and a big fan of "research and development" in general.

Back
Top Bottom